WB overprint coverage issue - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

WB overprint coverage issue

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 2nd, 2019 Sep 2, 2019 2:40:59 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ryan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default WB overprint coverage issue

Hello, been trying to expand beyond just discharging garments. Recently acquired a flash in order to do some under basing and flashing between colors if needed. Been having trouble with overprints on a white under base where there are many tiny dots of the under base showing through. No matter how many times I pull ink through they remain. I thought perhaps I was running into a compatibility issue so I've tried numerous inks for either the under base or overprint with much the same result These include Matsui 301 opaque white, Aquo, Permaset, and Ryonet comet white. The overprint I've tried Ryonet's Red, pigmented MatsuiSemi Opaque base and Permaset. I thought perhaps it was my flashing, water evaporating through the overprint so I've tried varying the both the heat and time under the flash, trying very deliberately to over flash and under where ink still pulls up on my finger with little change in results. The overprint was done with a 158 mesh count and the under base is a 110. Both had between 1/8 - 3/16" off contact. The attached image shows the issue. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.JPG (994.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ryangobie; September 2nd, 2019 at 02:57 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2019 Oct 5, 2019 7:36:42 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: gus
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: WB overprint coverage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangobie
Hello, been trying to expand beyond just discharging garments. Recently acquired a flash in order to do some under basing and flashing between colors if needed. Been having trouble with overprints on a white under base where there are many tiny dots of the under base showing through. No matter how many times I pull ink through they remain. I thought perhaps I was running into a compatibility issue so I've tried numerous inks for either the under base or overprint with much the same result These include Matsui 301 opaque white, Aquo, Permaset, and Ryonet comet white. The overprint I've tried Ryonet's Red, pigmented MatsuiSemi Opaque base and Permaset. I thought perhaps it was my flashing, water evaporating through the overprint so I've tried varying the both the heat and time under the flash, trying very deliberately to over flash and under where ink still pulls up on my finger with little change in results. The overprint was done with a 158 mesh count and the under base is a 110. Both had between 1/8 - 3/16" off contact. The attached image shows the issue. Thank you.
I have been using strictly permaset inks for some time now and occasionally encounter the same issue. First of when printing water base inks there should be no off contact and the flash cure needs to be on little longer where you get no ink coming off on your fingers when touched then you should be ok to print your over print if you still get white dots try flashing the overprint and hit it again with overprint hope this helps.Ohh By the way how do you like the aquos inks?

Old October 5th, 2019 Oct 5, 2019 6:24:14 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default Re: WB overprint coverage issue

If you used Permaset SuperCover for the red, you wouldn't need an underbase (which is what I use).

But, yes, you should be able to over-print and get good results. I've done it in the past with both Green galaxy and Permaset.

I would (and do) use higher mesh count for everything than you are, like 180/200. On bare naked fabric with higher mesh count, hit it twice to get an even light coat, then flash (no flash until you've got an even light coat). Then print/flash print as needed to obtain the opacity or "pop" that you want. It is more work, but allows greater control over the quality of the print.

Many say to run zero off contact. I generally run about 1/8" with SuperCover, as it is very thick and acts a bit more like Plastisol going down. For typical runnier/thinner water base inks, zero off contact is probably best.

Note, might want to take a close (magnifying glass) look at your top coat screen. If you flashed the underbase just enough to get it tacky, it might have partially plugged/blocked-up your top-coat screen when you laid it down. This is especially easy to do when using Comet White, as it gets sticky when hot. That is the only issue I've ever had with underbasing/top-coating. If the pattern of dots always looks the same, that is probably your issue.

This is a discussion about WB overprint coverage issue that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in