Add GREEN GALAXY FUSION PIGMENT to COMET WHITE??? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Add GREEN GALAXY FUSION PIGMENT to COMET WHITE???

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 6:09:52 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Add GREEN GALAXY FUSION PIGMENT to COMET WHITE???

Has anyone tried adding Green Galaxy Fusion Pigment to Comet White?
If so, did it print and cure ok?

I'm also curious if it will create a more opaque colored ink that may not need an underbase!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 7:19:03 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default Re: Add GREEN GALAXY FUSION PIGMENT to COMET WHITE???

It would produce a pastel version of whatever the pigment is. If that's not what you're looking for, you'll have to stick with doing an underbase.

I liked GG, but prefer Permaset Supercover, which is a line of opaque inks available in a bunch of colors, so no underbase needed. Note, it is expensive ... you are paying for lots of pigment (and it is from Australia). You also have to keep it wet enough, or it will handle poorly and dry in screen (GG is real simple to use by comparison).

The Following User Says Thank You to NoXid For This Useful Post:
embprints (June 25th, 2019)
Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 8:24:35 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
It would produce a pastel version of whatever the pigment is. If that's not what you're looking for, you'll have to stick with doing an underbase.

I liked GG, but prefer Permaset Supercover, which is a line of opaque inks available in a bunch of colors, so no underbase needed. Note, it is expensive ... you are paying for lots of pigment (and it is from Australia). You also have to keep it wet enough, or it will handle poorly and dry in screen (GG is real simple to use by comparison).
Yeah, I was wondering how the color would come out. Pastel would make sense. Most of the custom shirt orders I get need either white or black, but sometimes I get an order that needs a little color. I was hoping that I could save some money and not have to buy quarts of colored ink.

I really was hoping to not need to make another screen to do an underbase that would normally be needed with the GG colors.

I really like Permaset Supercover inks' brightness and opacity, but the price, fast drying/clogging, and clean up are all frustrating to me. One of the biggest things that I like about SC is that you can use it on polyester or poly blends without a low cure additive...you just need to cure at a lower temp and longer. I've actually been able to cure Comet White at 260F on my heat press, but I need to do further testing.

But the biggest factor that keeps me from switching to SC is that you cannot walk away from the press for more than a few minutes.
Right now it takes me 1-2 minutes between passes when I flash (including time to cool down shirt/platen with fan) since I use either a hair dryer or a floor heater as a flash. I have a one station press, but I am about to make a 4 station line table.
With GG, I have stopped to have lunch for at least 30 minutes and had no problems continuing to print! I just needed to do a couple extra strokes to clear the screen.

@NoXid , what do you use to wash SC out of your screens that you reuse?

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 8:01:28 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Terry

Iíve had difficulty with GG on sim process jobs, particularly with Comet White. When it sits in screen (while Iím doing wet on wet of top colors), it tends to gel up - much like a paste.

Iíve also struggled with top colors washing off the base, but I think Iíve solved that problem with 3mins in the tunnel at about 350*.

Terry
http://www.AllegiantGraphics.com
https://www.Facebook.com/AllegiantGraphics
https://www.Instagram.com/AllegiantGraphics
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 10:47:41 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by embprints
Yeah, I was wondering how the color would come out. Pastel would make sense. Most of the custom shirt orders I get need either white or black, but sometimes I get an order that needs a little color. I was hoping that I could save some money and not have to buy quarts of colored ink.

I really was hoping to not need to make another screen to do an underbase that would normally be needed with the GG colors.

I really like Permaset Supercover inks' brightness and opacity, but the price, fast drying/clogging, and clean up are all frustrating to me. One of the biggest things that I like about SC is that you can use it on polyester or poly blends without a low cure additive...you just need to cure at a lower temp and longer. I've actually been able to cure Comet White at 260F on my heat press, but I need to do further testing.

But the biggest factor that keeps me from switching to SC is that you cannot walk away from the press for more than a few minutes.
Right now it takes me 1-2 minutes between passes when I flash (including time to cool down shirt/platen with fan) since I use either a hair dryer or a floor heater as a flash. I have a one station press, but I am about to make a 4 station line table.
With GG, I have stopped to have lunch for at least 30 minutes and had no problems continuing to print! I just needed to do a couple extra strokes to clear the screen.

@NoXid , what do you use to wash SC out of your screens that you reuse?
I had a hard time with SC until I got religion about adding plenty of water back to it after use. If you're doing long print runs, you'll need to spray/mist a little water on the ink now and then. And if the humidity is low, spray some water around in your washout booth to get the humidity up before printing. But, yes, GG is much easier to work with, not prone to drying, and the white stuff is as much a screen cleaner as it is an ink

I use CCI EnviroSolv to clean screens after printing (I print my own line of designs, so I print/clean/store/repeat). Uhm, one more thought on the cleaning. SC white does build up on the emulsion over time. I don't worry about it, as that doesn't hurt anything. I haven't had a problem with it building up on the mesh itself.

I started off much as you: one station and a heat gun

Four station and a real flash will change your world I got a Vastex F1000, I think you could use something like that with a line table, as long as there wasn't stuff in the way of the legs/wheels. Also, I've seen vids from China (or wherever) of huge line table setups with a heat press head that is mounted on a rail, or whatever, so it can slide to any position on the line. Could probably DIY something like that for your 4 station.

The Following User Says Thank You to NoXid For This Useful Post:
embprints (June 27th, 2019)
Old June 27th, 2019 Jun 27, 2019 3:27:01 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider1340
I’ve also struggled with top colors washing off the base, but I think I’ve solved that problem with 3mins in the tunnel at about 350*.
I read a post here saying that the top color washing off of a comet white underbase is usually due to the underbase being flashed to the point that it is cured. If the underbase is flashed to the point of being cured, the top color will not be able to bond/fuse with the underbase properly. Right now, what I do to make sure comet white doesn't get cured when flashing is that I use either a hairdryer or a small fan driven room heater (quieter than a hairdryer) for flashing. Neither will heat the shirt over 170F. I don't own a flash dryer (yet), so I have no choice to use one of them! Then I cure with a heat press.

That's one of the things I worry about when it comes to using an underbase, (other than registration being off and the time needed to make the extra screen for the underbase) which is why I want to eliminate needing to use an underbase. I'm considering using Permaset Supercover inks when I need to print colors on dark or poly/poly-blend shirts, since they dont require an underbase, and can cure as low as 250F with a longer dwell time.

Its just been hard for me to give up on Green Galaxy inks because I love how I can walk away from the press for 30-45 minutes and the screen won't be clogged! Ryonet even has a video where they covered a screen flooded with Green Galaxy ink with a garbage bag and came back the next day to continue printing!

Last edited by embprints; June 27th, 2019 at 03:34 PM..

Old 4 Days Ago Nov 8, 2019 7:23:39 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Octavio

I have not, but I have made white ink from the fusion kit to print on black shirts with pleasing results, no ub needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embprints
Has anyone tried adding Green Galaxy Fusion Pigment to Comet White?
If so, did it print and cure ok?

I'm also curious if it will create a more opaque colored ink that may not need an underbase!

This is a discussion about Add GREEN GALAXY FUSION PIGMENT to COMET WHITE??? that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in