Newbie!!! Question about Emulsion - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Newbie!!! Question about Emulsion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By YVT
  • 1 Post By webtrekker

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 9th, 2018 Sep 9, 2018 2:49:14 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie!!! Question about Emulsion

Hello. I am a newbie and have not screen printed yet. I have been reading and watching videos. I have a pretty simple design I am doing for my kid. I am not sure what emulsion to get. I am using speedball printing ink I believe its a water base. Thank you for any information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2018 Sep 9, 2018 8:09:16 PM -   #2 (permalink)
YVT
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Newbie!!! Question about Emulsion

What Exposure unit are you going to be using? There are a bunch but depends on exposure unit, are you in the garage or inside the house, and where you live because of humidity concerns. Not sure of your setup though. Also what material will you be printing on?

You can use a few different ones. You don't want any that say to use a hardener for water based ink as you would not be able to reclaim the screen. Also how detailed is the work going to be?

You can use Ulano, Chromaline, WBP from Ryonet, or many others. The one thing about the presensitized one is they can last up to a year or 2 depending on storage/brand. The diazo one are 6 weeks to maybe 6 months after mixing.

Old September 10th, 2018 Sep 10, 2018 3:29:21 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

As for right now I will be using the sun. I will more then likely be using a spare bathroom or the garage. I live in Texas so humidity will be a concern. The design is very basic wording. Nothing special. Will print on Gildan shirts. I just ordered the aluminum screens with 156 mesh. My husband wanted to order something quick so we can try and get this done. He said alot of people in the videos we are watching are using the green emulsion. So I ordered 1qt of Ecotex LED Emulsion. Our hope is to reuse the screens. I hope this works....lol

Old September 10th, 2018 Sep 10, 2018 7:31:17 AM -   #4 (permalink)
YVT
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hummm....That might not be the best for you. That is a plastisol emulsion one part. Water based inks normally have to have a diazo added or require a post exposure. So after you wash out your stencil put it back out for a bit to harden/cure more. That should help it become more resistant to the water based ink(s).

Good luck and hope that it all works out. You can also use a halogen work lamp from walmart or some place if it is cloudy and looks like rain.
msipes04 likes this.

Last edited by YVT; September 10th, 2018 at 07:37 AM..

Old September 10th, 2018 Sep 10, 2018 8:23:18 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

When you say you have a pretty simple design to do for your kid, have you considered cutting a sign vinyl stencil intead of using emulsion?

If you plan on sticking to solid colour designs then it may be advantageous to buy a cutter (Cameo will do) and cut your own stencils. They are easily removed for reusing the screens.
YVT likes this.

Old September 10th, 2018 Sep 10, 2018 8:25:28 AM -   #6 (permalink)
YVT
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrekker
When you say you have a pretty simple design to do for your kid, have you considered cutting a sign vinyl stencil intead of using emulsion?

If you plan on sticking to solid colour designs then it may be advantageous to buy a cutter (Cameo will do) and cut your own stencils. They are easily removed for reusing the screens.
I have done the same thing before if it was just a simple block lettering. Much faster and easier than having to coat, burn, washout the screen. I have 2 that I keep just for that reason uncoated.

Old September 11th, 2018 Sep 11, 2018 3:21:33 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I am using my Cricut to make the designs and the stencils. I was going to just use the vinyl. My daughter showed her friends the shirt and now I have 23 orders. LOL. I dont know if the vinyl would hold up for that many shirts without coming up.

This is a discussion about Newbie!!! Question about Emulsion that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in