Using Ulano QTX with Water-based Inks? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Using Ulano QTX with Water-based Inks?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2016 Oct 7, 2016 3:57:12 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Using Ulano QTX with Water-based Inks?

Good morning all! This is my first post but I have learned a LOT just from reading previous posts, so thanks for all the info! I'm pretty much a hobbyist at this point so I can learn the trade and possibly grow a bit.

I'm posting because I just can't find the answer to this (and I'm sure it's an easy one.) When I purchased Ulano QTX the description advised it was for both plastisol and water-based inks. When I went to start the process of making my first shirt, I realized it said it's only water resistant with diazo added.

I currently have only 1 plastisol ink (Union Ink Max Opaque EZ Print White) and the rest are water based that I was going to try out (Permaset aqua supercover and Jacquard opaques).

So, silly question: When they are advising to add "diazo", is that just a shorter term for diazo sensitizer? Also, how do I figure out how much to add? I'm probably only making 1 screen at a time -- does the sensitizer have a shelf life once mixed with water? Lastly, can I just grab some of the Speedball Sensitizer? I don't have many suppliers around here and don't really need to buy anything else to meet minimum shipping requirements for online orders of a different product. It'd be great to be able to just grab this on AMZ with Prime or something, and I'd hate to sink even more money into another emulsion just yet.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2016 Oct 8, 2016 12:16:55 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Using Ulano QTX with Water-based Inks?

Hey there

After looking it up online it says the Ulano QTX is for plastisol.

Usually an emulsion comes with with the diazo (aka diazo sensitizer.)

Did you contact the supplier? See what they suggest for their product.

Generally. Most water based emulsions are dual cure.
Pre-sensitized is usually for plastisol. Of course there are some emulsions that don't fit that description. When in doubt. Always ask the supplier just to double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old October 24th, 2016 Oct 24, 2016 9:23:56 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Matt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adntigger710
When I purchased Ulano QTX the description advised it was for both plastisol and water-based inks. When I went to start the process of making my first shirt, I realized it said it's only water resistant with diazo added.

I currently have only 1 plastisol ink (Union Ink Max Opaque EZ Print White) and the rest are water based that I was going to try out (Permaset aqua supercover and Jacquard opaques).

So, silly question: When they are advising to add "diazo", is that just a shorter term for diazo sensitizer? Also, how do I figure out how much to add? I'm probably only making 1 screen at a time -- does the sensitizer have a shelf life once mixed with water? Lastly, can I just grab some of the Speedball Sensitizer? I don't have many suppliers around here and don't really need to buy anything else to meet minimum shipping requirements for online orders of a different product. It'd be great to be able to just grab this on AMZ with Prime or something, and I'd hate to sink even more money into another emulsion just yet.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!
One man's experience here, but I used Ulano QTX exclusively for wb printing for a year and my stencils show no visible deterioration with moderate to heavy use. You don't have to add any sensitizer or anything to it. It rules. I just switched up to Ryonet's Cryocoat to save a couple bucks and am happy with that too so far. Used the QTX with both wb ink brands you mentioned. Have fun and good luck!

Old October 25th, 2016 Oct 25, 2016 7:02:01 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Murikami sells a reclaimable hardener to use with their photopolymer emulsions. You wipe it on a dry screen and let dry before using. They also sell one that you can't reclaim, so make sure you get one that you can.
Unless it's a long run of shirts, most emulsions will hold up with waterbased.

This is a discussion about Using Ulano QTX with Water-based Inks? that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in