Curing Permaset supercover - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Curing Permaset supercover

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2016 Jul 26, 2016 12:02:50 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Kjell
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Curing Permaset supercover

Hello everybody i have been trying to cure Permaset aqua supercover ink. I have searched the forum and found that there is lot of different answer. I am using heatgun+heatpress. Is it possible to cure it whithout cracking when finnished. After the heatgun i have tried 3x12sec at 170°C
30sec 165°C light pressure. I even tried 20sec 200°C on a white t-shirt, it went braun. I press the squeegie very hard so the ink goes into the fabric. When i strech the t-shirt the ink is cracked no matter what temperature or time or pressure i use. What happens if the ink is overcured (maybe this is the problem). I am a newbee and do not have the right equipment, I do the schablones on a vinylcutter, put it on the downside of the frame mirrorwise, using a one station unit.
sorry about my english
//Kjell

Last edited by katext; July 26th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2016 Jul 26, 2016 3:39:56 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default Re: Curing Permaset supercover

Yes, you can use that equipment, and I have/do. I use mainly Permaset and mainly SuperCover.

I cure with a heat press 2x45sec at 325F

I used to use a heat gun to flash with. The goal of flashing is just to dry it off so it does not stick to the next screen, so don't need to get it very hot. Do you have a touchless thermometer/temp-gun? Heat guns can put out enough heat to peel paint or scorch fabric, so make sure you are not overdoing the flashing.

Let the print COOL before stretch testing it. And don't try to rip the shirt in half

The only other thing that comes to mind is that maybe you are putting down too much ink? A really thick layer might not cure correctly, or be flexible enough to stretch.

Another test is to throw it in the washer.

Old July 26th, 2016 Jul 26, 2016 4:10:00 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Anne

I only use Permaset inks and agree with NoXid. First, I dry to touch/til steam starts to appear with a heat gun. Then, I bump my temp up a little higher (sometimes as high as 345 F, depending on ink thickness & garment type), and then I typically press for 45 seconds, open press for 15 seconds to allow steam to escape, re-press for 30 (or 45 if I feel it needs a bit more. I don't stretch test til cool and I wash test 3-4 times. Good luck, it can be done!

Old July 28th, 2016 Jul 28, 2016 7:12:35 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thank a lot for your replies. I will try to do exactly as you have explained.

Old July 29th, 2016 Jul 29, 2016 8:26:29 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hello again i just tried curing with a heat press 2x45sec at 325F after flashing it with a heatgun. I always use a tempgun to be certain that the temp is not over 50F. It seems that permaset is not elastic and must crack if you stretch it especially horisontally. I have a 1 mm line horisontally and it cracks ofcourse if i strech i just a little. I wonder is it elastic or should it be strong enough to keep the garment together.

Old July 29th, 2016 Jul 29, 2016 8:53:15 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

It still sounds like it's undercured, because you should be able to really pull on the shirt without it cracking. Do you still see steam coming out of the press when you press it? Or if you use the heat gun after pressing 2x45sec, do you see steam coming out of it? The ink isn't fully cured until the water is out of it. Maybe put the temp up on your press to 345 to try to get more water out? Good luck!

Old July 29th, 2016 Jul 29, 2016 9:24:32 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I will make a new test tomorrow. I have not seen any steem at anytime. Maybe it's because it's just a little print 10x2cm containing text and two thin lines. Before i cured the print i tested a white t-shirt.
It became a bit darker from the press. I tested the temp on the heatpress with the tempgun, there was a difference of 10F on different places on the heatpress. Tomorrow i will use my glasses and look for steem:-)

Old July 30th, 2016 Jul 30, 2016 4:13:18 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Today i tried again. I started with an old white t-shirt 320F 180s it went braun. I decreased the temp to 300F 180s in the heatpress I had a minimum pressure on a limecolored t-shirt and it came out very nice. I streched it carefully and i think this will work just fine. I haven't washed it yet, but i think there will be no problem. So it seemed to be undercured just as you wrote. Thanks a lot for your replies.

Old July 30th, 2016 Jul 30, 2016 5:41:11 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

No problem at all! There are so many variables that go into printing & curing that it can make you crazy at times. Glad you pushed through & found a solution! Happy printing!

Old August 11th, 2016 Aug 11, 2016 7:54:07 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Yesterday i looked at the t-shirts after washing them, they all cracked when stretching just a little.
I don't know if it will help to increase the time. Seems impossible to get it right. Is there really anyone who is curing the same way as i do (heatgun & heatpress) and get a good result after washing. Trying to think maybe the ink is to thick. The last time i forced the ink to the fabric trying not to get any surface on top
I wonder if the ink should be elastic so it will stretch or hard and strong

Last edited by katext; August 11th, 2016 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old August 12th, 2016 Aug 12, 2016 10:33:58 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Permaset supercover looks like, feels like and behaves like sand filler.
Today i'm going to add some water to the ink. Is this a good idea?
Forgot to mention that i use "glow" if this makes a difference.

Last edited by katext; August 13th, 2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old August 14th, 2016 Aug 14, 2016 5:41:08 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katext
... Is there really anyone who is curing the same way as i do (heatgun & heatpress) and get a good result after washing...
As already noted above, yes. I started out with a heat gun for flashing and heatpress for curing. No problems.
I now have a real flash for flashing and the same old heatpress for curing. Still no problems.

"Glow" you mean a glow-in-the-dark additive? Try printing without that. Is the Glow a Permaset product? It could be having an undesired reaction with the ink. And if it is thick, or is a powder itself, it would obviously be making the ink thicker.

Have you ever added water to your ink? Ink dries out a bit every time you use it. So you should add a bit of water and stir it up well after use.

I keep my fresh ink in the original container and keep my "in-use" ink in a separate container. I add fresh ink and water to the in-use container as needed. I always have the ink in the original container as a reference of what good ink looks and feels like.

What screen mesh are you using? If the mesh is too open AND the ink is too thick, you could be laying down way too much ink. A thick, thick layer of ink will NOT cure correctly.

Old August 14th, 2016 Aug 14, 2016 8:03:03 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Perhaps it's the glow that's giving you the issues, then. I'm actually doing a job right now with Permaset Supercover Blue Glow and having issues with curing. It seems to be curing well on the Hanes Beefy Ts I printed on, but cracks on womens Comfortsoft tees when doing a stretch test. Only the Glow is doing it, not the other two supercover colors. Interesting. Will let you know what I find...

Old August 15th, 2016 Aug 15, 2016 9:26:39 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thank you for answering. Maybe the ink is old. I bought it in London grafic center on my holiday. The ink is very thick so i have to use a stick or knife to get it out. It's easier to crack the ink horizontally than vertically because the t-shirt is more stretchable that way. I would not dare to sell a t-shirt before i get this right. Next time i will try speedball.

Old August 16th, 2016 Aug 16, 2016 11:09:27 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Today i tested speedball red ink on a grey t-shirt. It worked perfectly. Every fiber in the t-shirt was colored and it is impossible to feel the ink with your hand when touching it. It is impossible to crack the ink by stretchig it. I washed it immediately and it still looked nice. I did same test with a black t-shirt, it didn't cover very good and the red went very dark. I am surprised that there is no ink that easily can color the fibers in the garment no matter what color. Permaset supercover looks very nice until i stretch or wash the t-shirt, and i never put a thick layer of ink because i want the structure from the garment to show. I'm disapointed and out of ideas how to go further whith permaset because before stretch & wash it looks really nice on any color of the shirt. On a t-shirt with minimum stretchability it might work. I tried permaset without "glow" there wasn't a big difference. Do your prints with permaset feel soft or hard?

This is a discussion about Curing Permaset supercover that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in