Discharge ink seeping through tape, ruining prints - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Discharge ink seeping through tape, ruining prints

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 19th, 2014 Aug 19, 2014 12:10:41 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Discharge ink seeping through tape, ruining prints

I've been printing with water-based discharge for about a year, and the past two jobs this has happened:

Once the shirt passes through the end of the dryer, the bottom edge of the piece of tape masking off top and bottom registration marks has been discharged as a thin line above and below the print. I don't notice it until after it's been discharged, as it does not show up at all once printed. It also doesn't match the color of the ink being printed, it just looks 'bleached'.

This is happening only about 10 shirts into the run, so I doubt the emulsion is degrading.

Is it really possible, all of a sudden, that enough ink is going THROUGH the 2 pixel wide registration lines on the top side of the screen and making it's way to the bottom of the tape on the shirt side of the screen? I really can't think of what else it would be.

I use ULINE clear packaging tape to seal off registration marks. Is it as simple taping off the top side of the screen?

It's just blowing my mind that after printing thousands of discharge shirts this way, in the past two days the ink has started seeping out under the tape.

Any help is greatly appreciated it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2014 Aug 23, 2014 5:24:16 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lenny

Default Re: Discharge ink seeping through tape, ruining prints

Wow... I almost thought I posted this and forgot. Same thing happened to me! Had center marks taped off and when I cured the shirts there was thin lines bleached where the tape stopped.I am going to use a blockout pen and tape from now on. Would love to hear if this is common.

Old February 1st, 2016 Feb 1, 2016 1:47:08 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: d

any headway?

Old February 2nd, 2016 Feb 2, 2016 5:54:40 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

76ink's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Two suggestions.

1. Be careful when wiping the bottom of the screen, discharge can be difficult to see after wiping.

2. Instead of using tape ..try using clear nail polish in place of taping your registration marks. Works well, It will dry super quick and hold up during your run. Emulsion remover will take it off.

P.S.

Print then flash to reveal any leaks. This may add a little time to your run, but you will save more money overall with less spoiled shirts.

Good luck!

This is a discussion about Discharge ink seeping through tape, ruining prints that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in