Why water based instead of plastisol?? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Why water based instead of plastisol??

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 7th, 2012 Sep 7, 2012 8:47:36 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Anthony
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why water based instead of plastisol??

You have a heat press. Then I would go for plastisol. I don't think a heat press can cure water base because the heat needs to drive the water out of the ink for the ink to cure. By using a heat press. The press would just trap the steam thus the water can't be driven out the ink.
On the other hand, I believe the whole layer of plastisol just needs to reach 150 or 160 C for it to cure.

Good luck
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2012 Sep 8, 2012 10:22:46 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tony

I have no idea where to start. This thread is riddled with falseness. Water based inks are leaps and bounds better for the environment then plastisol if used and cleaned up correctly.

Your argument is about as bad as saying that lead based paint is just as healthy as latex paint.

It is a simple fact that water based is much more enviormently safe then plastisol, stop saying otherwise. plastisolinks contain PVC (polyvinyl chloride) aka vinyl and phthalates. phthalates have been known to cause cancer in many many studies.

Read your msds's before passing off false truths. The problem lies in thinking you can just throw water based down the drain, this is not true. But if you use a proper ink degrader the pigments are broken down and able to be filtered out. Making it very safe for the environment and people.

The actual production of pvc is extremely bad for the environmental and has been under heavy reform since early 2000's.

Old September 8th, 2012 Sep 8, 2012 7:01:00 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Paul

Please provide a link that shows that waterbased inks are 'safer'.

You can't, because they are not. The major eco push is in the chemicals used for cleanup. Most are not citrus based.

That facts are quite simple:

Water based inks use a fine pigment in a water based carrier that has to be evaporated in order for the binders/pigments to adhere to the cotton fibers. That's all water based inks are. They don't magically become environmentally safe because you mixed them with water.

The water based inks that you put down the drain (even after broken up with a cleaner) are still damaging as the pigment itself is the problem. Its so fine (less than 100 microns) that no municipal waste system can filter them... the they pass right through.

Please post links that say otherwise.

About the ONLY environmental sure thing you can say about water based inks is that they emit NO VOC's when cured... only water. Solvent and Plisticol inks will emit a lot or a little, respectively. But when it comes to putting it down the drain they are all BAD.

You can hook up a settling tank, then filter with 75 or 50 micron filters before putting the water based gray water into the sewer... and there are washout tubs that have that built in... but off the shelf you can make plastisol and water based inks equally safe as long as you keep them out of the sewer system.

Nothing but the cold, hard truth here.

Old September 8th, 2012 Sep 8, 2012 7:07:39 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Paul

Water-based Ink Cleanup

There is a common misconception that because water can be used for cleaning screens, squeegees and tools, that the waste water can just be discharged in the sewer. However, the water-based ink is not just water. There are pigments, binders, thickeners, and sometimes, even co-solvents in the ink residue. Screen cleaning systems that can at least capture the solids are still recommended.
In addition, water-based that has not been catalyzed can be returned to its container for reuse. If the ink has been catalyzed, it should be considered hazardous waste unless it can be dried out (all water and solvent removed) before discarding. If it cannot be dried, it should be disposed of as hazardous waste.

I've read this WORD FOR WORD on about a dozen of the larger ink seller and print shop web sites.

Are we all wrong?

Old September 8th, 2012 Sep 8, 2012 7:28:38 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Mikel
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Frankly there are few trustworthy links for much of the information being discussed here. The MSDS sheets tend to be the most reliable sources. Semantics aside and splitting hairs there are solid arguments for both sides of the argument and that is the truth. Most printers need to make educated decisions and handle any of their tools responsibly. There just needs to be balanced discussions that are fueled by more then aggravation.

We understand the pigment issue. Please discuss how the pigments are damaging or problematic. If you don't use a water filter with a one micron filter and activated charcoal on your tap you have a lot worse to worry about then a chemically inert pigment from waterbased Screenprinting ink. I don't filter my tap water but the point still remains.

My two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

This is a discussion about Why water based instead of plastisol?? that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in