Issue with discharge printed shirt, how should I handle it? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Issue with discharge printed shirt, how should I handle it?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2011 Mar 2, 2011 7:08:26 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Issue with discharge printed shirt, how should I handle it?

I created a white black and yellow design to be printed on a red shirt. I've used water based or discharge printing with my printer for all of my shirts, and after washing them the inks feel as soft as the shirt itself.
I asked my printer if discharge would work well for the white on red, because I was concerned it might look pink. He said it would be OK.
When I got the shirts, the ink felt thicker than usual. I emailed my printer to confirm that discharge was used. He explained that the shirt wasn't discharging well enough and the white was showing up slightly pink, so he had the printer add an underbase to it to make sure it looked white. He said it would be soft after washing, but not as soft as just straight discharge. Made sense to me at the time, I thanked him for putting in the extra effort to make sure the shirt looked good.
2 weeks later I tried washing one of the shirts. The print didn't soften at all, it feels like a plastisol print. Not just the white ink, but the yellow felt like plastisol too. Washed it again, no change. There's a large area of white ink on the shirt, so it feels a lot more stiff than I would like.
I don't have personal experience with the discharge printing process - I've done plastisol myself a few times. Does this sound normal? Do you think I am stuck with the shirts now that it's been several weeks since I received them? And if I'm going to ask my printer for some kind of recourse, what is the best way to go about it to maintain a positive business relationship?
Thanks everyone, your input and experience is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2011 Mar 3, 2011 6:50:49 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Issue with discharge printed shirt, how should I handle it?

Sounds like they printed white plastisol on a discharge underbase and maybe there was a disconnect in communication. Maybe the printer thought that having a white white print was more important to you than having it be a discharge print regardless of the end result of the print color. Many red shirts do print out to a pinkish hue with straight discharge.

Old March 3rd, 2011 Mar 3, 2011 7:18:54 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: PixelPimp
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Issue with discharge printed shirt, how should I handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 BIT GAMER
I don't have personal experience with the discharge printing process - I've done plastisol myself a few times. Does this sound normal? Do you think I am stuck with the shirts now that it's been several weeks since I received them? And if I'm going to ask my printer for some kind of recourse, what is the best way to go about it to maintain a positive business relationship?
Thanks everyone, your input and experience is appreciated.
you should not have waited that long to wash test the shirts, the sooner you found out about the issue the better it would be to deal with it. I'm hoping the printer is reasonable and willing to work something out. Red shirts are the worst for trying to achieve a bright white, most brands have known dye migration issues with Reds. I'm not experienced with discharge but i'm guessing it's a similar issue and you're printed gave bad advice by saying the print would look OK. You did mention your concern to the printer that the white may turn pink, he should have consulted with you when he realized this issue was happening and suggested options rather then making the decision for you.
The issue is a lack of clear communication from both parties. I'd suggest you talk honestly with the printer about the issue if you want to keep the relationship going forward. i feel you're both at fault and hope you both work something out thats agree able.

This is a discussion about Issue with discharge printed shirt, how should I handle it? that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in