thick discharge hand - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

thick discharge hand

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2011 Jan 11, 2011 5:53:39 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default thick discharge hand

I'm experimenting with discharge. I'm using the base and agent from silkscreeningsupplies. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I followed the instructions on the label 10% agent.
First I notice the ink is not clear and is fairly opaque. After curing the hand is really thick almost like plastisol.
Any ideas what the problem is? thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2011 Jan 11, 2011 6:00:58 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default Re: thick discharge hand

What size mesh count? Can you show a picture? You say the hand is thick, is the design of a Hand, or is the Hand only a portion of the artwork?

Discharge isn't clear, but like a milky white. Like a medium cream. The agent looks like a powder detergent right?

One other thing. Discharge has inconsistant results. If you're printing for a business they might not like the look. It's best for the younger crowd or distressed look, IMO.

Old January 11th, 2011 Jan 11, 2011 6:30:09 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

by hand I mean the feel or texture of the ink.
i'm using 110 mesh. the discharge is "brite discharge base" by matsui. It's pretty thick and creamy. maybe thicker than water base ink.
from my understanding when printed it should be a milky white fairly transparent with almost no "hand" to it.

Old January 11th, 2011 Jan 11, 2011 8:28:16 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dave
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

All discharge will have some hand when printing - more if you don't use softener's in your ink. Some shirts will have more apparent 'hand' with discharge than others; water base, on the other hand, will have no hand. Discharge wll soften to match the hand of water base after the first washing.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Old January 12th, 2011 Jan 12, 2011 12:45:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

thanks for your replies.

I tried with and with out ink. i used the rc white which is waterbased and they feel the same.
if you would use the discharge with no added ink, would there still be "hand?"

Old January 12th, 2011 Jan 12, 2011 1:10:48 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

should there still be an off contact when printing discharge?

Old January 12th, 2011 Jan 12, 2011 8:42:43 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yes, you want to have a little bit of off contact when printing waterbase. You don't need a whole lot.

Regarding the discharge, for one I would suggest dropping the activator down to around 6%. Also, how many passes (or strokes) are you doing?
Lastly, how are you curing the garment?

Regular discharge should be softer than a white print. I think (emphasis on think) the Bright Discharge base has some white built into it. This will cause brighter prints, but also more hand.

Good luck,

Old January 12th, 2011 Jan 12, 2011 4:40:26 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dave
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

As Jantex stated you do want some off contact. Remember too that white discharge has the highest pigment load of any of the inks and that contributes to your hand as well. You can also increase the mesh count to 160-180 for spot prints and this will help a great deal on softening the print. Lastly I would agree with Jantex too that 6-7 percent agent should be enough to get you a good discharge - extra agent will only increase the hand of the print as a lot of the hand you are feeling is from the discharge agent itself - this is why after washing discharge softens down as the agent is washed away and neutralized after the first washing.

Hope this helps.

Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to spreadingink For This Useful Post:
JantexInks (January 13th, 2011)

This is a discussion about thick discharge hand that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in