Trying to sell stickers, window clings etc to retail locations - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) and Transfers > Vinyl Signs and Decals
Talk about vinyl signs and decals. Everything from which vinyl to buy, which software to use, to which cutter or plotter is right for you.

Trying to sell stickers, window clings etc to retail locations

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 1st, 2019 Jul 1, 2019 2:32:36 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Trying to sell stickers, window clings etc to retail locations

I'm looking to purchase an eco solvent printer so that I can print and sell my designs on bumper stickers, window clings, magnets etc.

I'd like to target retail locations all across the country. I'm thinking about sending a few free items to different places that may be interested. My hopes are that they'll put the items on display and if customers show interest the owner/manager will want to place an order with me.

I'd like to then make the ordering process all online and as easy as possible for them. I'm not sure the best way to go about that though. If I was targeting an end user I'd just create a page on etsy or ebay and direct them there to purchase the product. I don't think that would fly with a retail owner though. I do have some experience building a website in dreamweaver. In the past I was able to create a pretty decent looking site to sell shirts to end users. Problem was, I processed the payments with paypal so when they actually made the purchase, it redirected them to paypals website. It worked fine and all, its just not that professional looking. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a good way to go about this? Was thinking about looking into square space, or another one of those template type sites. One concern I had is that I'll need to get their tax id to sell sales tax free. Does there happen to be any way to easily go about collecting that sort of relevant info? Maybe a square space type site that caters to business to business deals like this?

In addition to trying to sell my own line of stickers, I also plan on sending out marketing material and free samples to local companies to do any sort of eco solvent printing for them. I plan on having a separate way of converting that business but again, haven't figured out the details yet.

Any help is really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2019 Jul 2, 2019 7:26:32 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

Default Re: Trying to sell stickers, window clings etc to retail locations

Nothing like face to face contact when you're trying to add retail stores, but I understand it can be difficult when you are marketing nationwide.

I wouldn't count on shop owners finding counter space for your samples you send them.

If you upgrade your paypal account to Paypal Pro, and if your shopping cart supports it, your Paypal transactions can be proccessed entirely on your site. Customers will not be redirected to Paypal's site.

Old July 2nd, 2019 Jul 2, 2019 12:21:39 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
Nothing like face to face contact when you're trying to add retail stores, but I understand it can be difficult when you are marketing nationwide.

I wouldn't count on shop owners finding counter space for your samples you send them.

If you upgrade your paypal account to Paypal Pro, and if your shopping cart supports it, your Paypal transactions can be proccessed entirely on your site. Customers will not be redirected to Paypal's site.
I hear ya, I also plan on doing a lot of door to door sales as well. I though about creating some ready to go displays to bring with me. Possibly even offering a consignment type deal to start.

The more I think about it the more questions that come up, lol. I have a lot of confidence in my designs and I'd like to make a legitimate run at this. I don't expect a very high conversion rate from sending out mailers (likely far below 1%). However, if I do start sending out packages, I want to make sure my product is ready to go and meets the prospective buyers expectations of purchasing products for resale. Say I wanted to have some random BP gas station in Mississippi carry my product, I'll probably need a upc barcode right? Is there any sort of contract that needs to be signed? What info would I need to collect from them and vise-versa. I just looked up pricing for upc barcodes and seems pretty expensive. Feels like overkill for stickers, lol. But then again having all those i's crossed and t's dotted might be enough to entice a business owner to give it a go when otherwise they'd just throw out the marketing material and keep the stickers for themselves.

I feel like I need to talk to some sort of business consultant to get a better idea of the steps involved and investment necessary to become a legitimate retail ready wholesale sticker company. Where does someone like me find a business consultant like that and how much do you think they'd charge?

As far as the website. I like the idea of sticking with paypal (their upgraded version) and keeping the web development in house as they say. Although, when I created my last site in dreamweaver, I don't think I ever really made a shopping cart like you mentioned. I don't know much about coding. I basically made the entire layout of my site in illustrator and saved that as a series of jpegs. I then transferred the jpegs to dreamweaver and created hot links that the customer would use to navigate around my site. Even the text and menus were just jpegs I created in illustrator (I also typed out everything I had previously made in illustrator, in the tag word section of dreamweaver, so presumably the end user could reach me through a tag word search just the same). I really liked how the site looked and operated but it was all jpegs and hot links, no coding lol. If I can do that again I will but if not I may have to get some help on that as well. I was quoted by a web developer $5K for making an ecommerce site. Going that route he said that he's responsible for all the new listings etc added to the site. I wasn't to keen on that though. I though about hiring someone to create the initial structure of the site, then hand over the keys to me so I can take over and add new listing etc at my leisure. Not sure if a set up like that possible though.

Old July 4th, 2019 Jul 4, 2019 6:08:05 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Steve

I wouldn't worry about the Paypal redirect, personally - most folks are actually more comfortable paying through Paypal than having to put in a credit card on another site, from what I've seen.

Old July 4th, 2019 Jul 4, 2019 11:34:10 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

As an alternative to paying a web developer $5,000 to provide an ecommerce site, why not go with a ready-made solution based on a monthly fee that varies with the success of your business?

I have an Ecwid site. Ecwid is free to begin with and you can choose different plans as your business expands, or downgrade during the hard times. It covers everything from displaying your products, to handling your checkout via many different payment gateways. All very easy to set up and run, and can be easily embedded in facebook or, as I have done, your own basic webpage. You can also use the Ecwid hosted version if you don't want to make up your own webpage.

The whole thing looks, and is, very professional.

This is a discussion about Trying to sell stickers, window clings etc to retail locations that was posted in the Vinyl Signs and Decals section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in