Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Need to Register?

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

Cad-Cut Direct Help Forums

PLEASE NOTE: The CAD-CUT Direct Support Forums are hosted by T-ShirtForums.com.

In order to post a question here, you will need to fill out the quick T-ShirtForums.com Registration form here to get new login details that you'll use to access the forum.

This will be separate from any login information you have for Stahls'. After you login to T-ShirtForums.com, this notice will automagically disappear :)

+   T-Shirt Forums > Vendors > CAD-CUT Direct Help Forums > Vinyl Cutters, Printer/Cutters & Heat Presses being used with CAD-CUT Direct materials.
Discuss the various vinyl cutters, printer/cutters & heat presses being used with CAD-CUT Direct materials.

how accurate is contour cutting on a versacamm?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 17th, 2010 Aug 17, 2010 10:02:03 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default how accurate is contour cutting on a versacamm?

Hi there,

I have heard that the Versacamm Printer/Cutters has an issue with accuracy when contour cutting over 2 metres of multiple designs. Can anybody clarify this, as I am interested in purchasing a Versacamm Sp 300i?

Many thanks.

Old August 17th, 2010 Aug 17, 2010 10:50:08 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Josh
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: how accurate is contour cutting on a versacamm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tivi tee
Hi there,

I have heard that the Versacamm Printer/Cutters has an issue with accuracy when contour cutting over 2 metres of multiple designs. Can anybody clarify this, as I am interested in purchasing a Versacamm Sp 300i?

Many thanks.
I can't say that I've had any issues as long as the machine is properly calibrated.

Old August 17th, 2010 Aug 17, 2010 10:47:30 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Ronnie
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

You have to maintain any piece of equipment....the Versacamm is no different....I have a 2...almost 3 year old VP-540.....I calibrate it once a month....but I do lots of volumne through my machine....a Roland is a real money making workhorse.

Old August 17th, 2010 Aug 17, 2010 11:02:03 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jesse

I get stuff done by a shop that has 2 of them. I am very happy with the work, I do notice every so many feet they have registration marks. They also print, remove and run through a laminator and then do the contour cut and like I said I am very happy. I am planning on buying one soon.

Old August 18th, 2010 Aug 18, 2010 11:52:39 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the input everyone, I have been looking at a versacamm for sometime, but a colleague said I should look at a Mimaki cjv30 series, as they are more accurate when contour cutting and the print quality is just as good as a versacamm.

Old August 18th, 2010 Aug 18, 2010 12:08:20 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tivi tee
Thanks for the input everyone, I have been looking at a versacamm for sometime, but a colleague said I should look at a Mimaki cjv30 series, as they are more accurate when contour cutting and the print quality is just as good as a versacamm.
We have a VP-540, only had to recalibrate it a couple times in the two years we've had the machine and like stated above it's a real work horse and basically trouble free.

The interesting thing about the Mimaki is the dual CMYK ink set that will switch from one cart to the other, and the white ink capability.

Quote:
CJV series uses fast drying SS21 solvent ink, which enables it to make contour cutting soon after printing and prevents ink from coming off during cutting. In addition, the “White ink overlay print function” using high density white ink offers simultaneous white and full color printing and creates vivid full color images onto opaque substrates. This expands the range of applications in print & cut. Almost odorless ES3 Eco solvent ink is also available for users in restricted ventilation areas.
I have never witnessed one of these printers in operation although I have a client that has a Mutoh that I wasn't that impressed with over a Roland.

JMHO

Old August 18th, 2010 Aug 18, 2010 1:31:16 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Mine is 7 years old SP 300 V. Works great. What everyone else said about calibration and maintenance. I did however buy some wheel type plugs that go into the ends of the material tubes. This helps with a smoother feed and less friction. Really helps the tracking on heavier material and reduces the need to unspool the material prior to job run. Also if the friction wheels get dirty or flat spots because the pressure was left on overnight / lever arm down / you will have tracking problems. Also bleeds outside of the cut line will reduce any noticable registration errors. I do enviromental cal everyday. This helps as well takes about 45 sec and is automatic.

Old August 22nd, 2010 Aug 22, 2010 11:49:12 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Steven
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

the accuracy of the unit is 0.04% times distance traveled. Mimaki does not have thier accuracy on the spec sheets. If you keep the Roland clean and calibrated, it will out perform any other unit on the market IMHO. As for the dual CMYK, that is nice, but you can get that in a roland now also along with Lc, Lm, white and metallic inks! The metallic inks allow for over 500 custom metallic colors. No othe printer on the market even comes close. Again, IMHO as I have 2 Roland printers right now and a third coming next month. GREAT units.

The Following User Says Thank You to scuba_steve2699 For This Useful Post:
IYFGraphics (August 22nd, 2010)

This is a discussion about how accurate is contour cutting on a versacamm? that was posted in the Vinyl Cutters, Printer/Cutters & Heat Presses being used with CAD-CUT Direct materials. section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in