Upgrading from a Cricut/Silhouette - help me! - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) and Transfers

Vinyl Cutters and Transfers Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat pressed vinyl transfers. Popular and new types of vinyl media, suppliers, vinyl cutters /plotters, press times, quality, how to instructions and more can be found in this heat press sub forum.

Upgrading from a Cricut/Silhouette - help me!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 7th, 2019 Aug 7, 2019 12:05:25 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: lesley
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Upgrading from a Cricut/Silhouette - help me!

I work full time as a designer/maker and run a pretty successful Etsy shop (decals, glassware, etc) and Iím thinking about upgrading from my Cricut Explore Air 2 to a more professional/commercial vinyl cutter and would love some input!! My biggest issue with the Cricut has always been the cut accuracy and precision, and recently Iíve been having issues with the blade depth/Smart Dial settings (ex: being on VINYL and cutting 651 sheet as normal, but for whatever reason it cuts all the way thru to the mat). Iíve scoured the internet for solutions and nothing has worked, so this makes me think Iíve either (1) outgrown the machine and need a better cutter, or (2) the Cricut I have is broken/messed up and getting a new Cricut would solve my issues. I primarily cut small decals for glassware, laptops, etc., so size-wise the Cricut suits my needs and I think I want to stick to something desktop size.

Iíve done a ton of research, and based on my needs/wants, the 3 machines Iím considering upgrading to are: Graphtec CE Lite 50, Roland Sticka SV-15, or KNK Zing Orbit. They all seem to cut faster and more precise than Cricut, which is exactly what I need. My main concern, however, is the idea of learning new software (bc I do like Cricut Design Space and its ease of use) and also the fact that those machines "Cut StudiosĒ arenít compatible with Macs, so iíd have to use an Illustrator plug-ins instead. That being said, Iím great with computers and willing to learn, I just didnít know if it would really hinder me that Iím using a Mac. I wanted to get an impartial opinion and see if any of you guys have experience with those machines or any input whatsoever!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago Aug 7, 2019 7:28:46 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jeremy

Default Re: Upgrading from a Cricut/Silhouette - help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezztur

My main concern, however, is the idea of learning new software (bc I do like Cricut Design Space and its ease of use) and also the fact that those machines "Cut Studios” aren’t compatible with Macs, so i’d have to use an Illustrator plug-ins instead. That being said, I’m great with computers and willing to learn, I just didn’t know if it would really hinder me that I’m using a Mac. I wanted to get an impartial opinion and see if any of you guys have experience with those machines or any input whatsoever!!
I've got a Roland Camm-1 & an ex employer has the Roland Sticka SV-15 which he's had for years so can't comment on the others you mention but the Roland's are a very good machine & cut very accurately.

I use Illustrator but was mostly Photoshop based prior to that & even with Photoshop experience it does take quite a while to feel comfortable with Illustrator, but that will depend too on the complexity of your designs. The good thing about it is if you get stuck trying to figure out how to do something you can usually find it explained in a video on Youtube.

If you like Cricut Design Space maybe you can still create your designs there & save them & import into Illustrator for use in Cut Studio until you become comfortable using Illustrator, but i'm not familiar with Cricut Design Space's file types so can't advise.

Last edited by JynxDezyns; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:44 PM..

Old 4 Weeks Ago Aug 7, 2019 7:51:45 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Amanda

I have a roland gx24 - I think I have had it for 12-13 years with no troubles. I know a few people who purchased the cheap ones and they were dunzo in a year or so. I have put the hurt on the machine lots and lots of glitter, rhinestone templates etc.

I will give you some advice that if you like doing small things and one offs you may be just better off getting a cricut maker. This goes for paper too. I do multiples 20-50 of the same design with multiple different layers of colors and running rolls through the plotter works. You will waste more material to just do small things. you can put small pieces of vinyl etc on a cricut mat and run it though but it doesn't work as you think if you are used to the cricut. It almost makes the material ride to high so when the blade is orienting itself it sometimes scratches the item you are cutting leaving visable marks.
I personally have been thinking about getting a cricut just so I can use up all my scraps for little personal projects.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Aug 7, 2019 9:58:53 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

look at the cameo 4 coming out in the fall ($299 for a 12")
made by graphtec, and also comes in, 15" and 20" sizes

download the silhouette studio software here for free and see if you like it

Old 4 Weeks Ago Aug 8, 2019 1:48:25 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I replaced my Cameo with an 18" Silver Bullet a few years ago and if I bought another cutter it would be another Silver Bullet.

I use SCAL 5 for cutting (on a PC), but it also supports Mac machines.

For the products I make, I need a cutter that will easily handle everything, from kiss-cutting vinyl, to cutting through heavy mylar stencil material, and accurate printing and cutting of heavy magnetic sheet.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Aug 8, 2019 6:08:23 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

link to silver bullet cutters here

Old 4 Weeks Ago Aug 8, 2019 1:00:17 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,234 Times in 1,006 Posts

You might be better off with a flatbed cutter for what you are doing. You will have less waste. If you want to go with a roll cutter something like a Roland 24" is a good way to go and it will last for years.

This is a discussion about Upgrading from a Cricut/Silhouette - help me! that was posted in the Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) and Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in