What Vinyl Cutter for a Beginner - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) and Transfers

Vinyl Cutters and Transfers Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat pressed vinyl transfers. Popular and new types of vinyl media, suppliers, vinyl cutters /plotters, press times, quality, how to instructions and more can be found in this heat press sub forum.

What Vinyl Cutter for a Beginner

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2012 Mar 13, 2012 10:43:03 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Roy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default What Vinyl Cutter for a Beginner

Hey everyone my name is Roy and Im new to the forum and to screen printing. Iv tried vinyl as a stencil on my screens instead of emulsion and it worked great. So now I need to order a vinyl cutter for myself. Iv been doing some research and Iv come to GCC Expert 24 and a US Cutter SC. Im leaning towards the GCC. Im looking for a cutter that will be easy to use with Corell Draw X5. Is the GCC a good choice? or is there something else that would be better? Any help would be very appreciated! Roy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2012 Mar 13, 2012 12:19:18 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

Default Re: What Vinyl Cutter for a Beginner

for the price point of the GCC Expert, you can't go wrong...but I suggest that you get a more robust cutting software...but it will work with the shipping software...you have to follow instructions when doing the installation...but if I can do it...anyone can

Old March 13th, 2012 Mar 13, 2012 7:19:46 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Roy

Is there any other good cutters for around the same price range as the gcc expert that would work well?

Old March 13th, 2012 Mar 13, 2012 7:35:12 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Royce (not Roy)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanked 1,044 Times in 932 Posts

I have a GCC Expert 24 and it is rock solid and has made me a pile of money....When I bought it I had convinced myself it was better than the US Cutter offerings and has not let me down.....

Do yourself a favour and do lots of research hear and over at the US Cutter forum before you finalize your purchase.....

Old March 13th, 2012 Mar 13, 2012 9:38:24 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mabuzi
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Roland GX24. What a workhorse.

Old March 14th, 2012 Mar 14, 2012 8:53:39 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tim

Roland GX24, APD 2400, or Graphtec CE5000

Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 8:13:10 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: paulby

Reading this thread trying to find some good answers as I'm also a BEGINNER on vinyl transfer. Yes, as a beginner I would appreciate if someone could give me idea where a good cutter/plotter around $300 (I'm not looking for a workhorse or pro type yet).

Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 8:23:02 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

IMO a "good cutter/plotter" for around 300.00 does not exist....

But if that is all you have to spend I would go with this.....
NEW "Your Best Value" SignMakers Vinyl SignWarehouse Cutter Vinly Sign Plotter | eBay

Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 5:34:15 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by royster13
IMO a "good cutter/plotter" for around 300.00 does not exist....

But if that is all you have to spend I would go with this.....
NEW "Your Best Value" SignMakers Vinyl SignWarehouse Cutter Vinly Sign Plotter | eBay
Paulby, the current eBay price is $249 + shipping! GO FOR IT! Once you get the equipment and software; play with it, make mistakes, and ask questions!

Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 10:25:40 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

If you decide to eventually put the cutter to other uses and start making vinyl signs, decals, etc., on the side, I wouldn't use that vinyl. Use it all up for your screens, or for things to be used indoors. That deal is good enough with all the other items you get to go for it anyway, but if you're planning on selling car decals, especially if you wind up doing things like logos for a fleet of company cars, I'd order Oracal 651 vinyl for flat items and Oracal 751 for curved surfaces and going over rivets, etc. That same company has decent prices on that direct from their website.

Using vinyl that's too cheap can result in quick delamination even if the surface is properly prepared, or if it does stick, fading, cracking, and difficulty removing it to re-do the job. You really want to use cast vinyl, not calendered, for most projects, but Oracal 651 is a calendered vinyl that consistently gets excellent reviews. Mostly flat surface use only, though (the slight curve of a rear window, etc, is fine).

Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 2:18:03 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibersupplytt
Paulby, the current eBay price is $249 + shipping! GO FOR IT! Once you get the equipment and software; play with it, make mistakes, and ask questions!
I already had it on my Ebay Watching list for a long time. But they DID NOT reply my questions/message. What will you expect if this is their type of customer service? and the same comments on their feedback.
Anyhow, may I ask it to you: Are they the same type used for vinyl for t-shirt heat transfer? Is the software good enough for creating designs such as different types of fonts & vectorized art designs?
thanks

Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 2:33:44 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

It is a 250.00 package so I expect you will get what you pay for.....Now having said that, Signwarehouse has been selling "dirt cheap" cutters for 30+ years....

It comes with their own version of Flexi which they call LXi (Apprentice).....If you look on the listing page it tells you what the software does....You can do layouts using your installed fonts and vector graphics....It has minimal functions as far as manipulating vectors so a more powerful version or a vector art program will be better...

As far as t-shirt vinyl.....Same cutter, different materials......So yes this package will cut heat press vinyl...

The Following User Says Thank You to royster13 For This Useful Post:
hollyandrea (March 17th, 2012)
Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 2:46:43 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by royster13
It is a 250.00 package so I expect you will get what you pay for.....Now having said that, Signwarehouse has been selling "dirt cheap" cutters for 30+ years....

It comes with their own version of Flexi which they call LXi (Apprentice).....If you look on the listing page it tells you what the software does....You can do layouts using your installed fonts and vector graphics....It has minimal functions as far as manipulating vectors so a more powerful version or a vector art program will be better...

As far as t-shirt vinyl.....Same cutter, different materials......So yes this package will cut heat press vinyl...
Do you have any recommendation what brand/type (where to find) do I need as a beginner? Thanks for the tip.

Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 3:13:36 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyandrea
Reading this thread trying to find some good answers as I'm also a BEGINNER on vinyl transfer. Yes, as a beginner I would appreciate if someone could give me idea where a good cutter/plotter around $300 (I'm not looking for a workhorse or pro type yet).

New to the industry as well and been doing a lot of research. Read some positive feedback for the Silhouette Cameo 12". You can grab it from the vendors here, I think, for $269.99. Though if you would do larger sizes, then this will not do.

Silhouette CAMEO®
(Thread on the product: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/vinyl-c...s/t175522.html)

For a little more, you can get the GCC Expert 24 on eBay:

gcc expert 24 | eBay

Here's a blog from Stahl's where they did a review on (cheap) Cutters.

Cheap Vinyl Cutter Comparison- GCC, Laserpoint, PCut, Refine | Stahls' ID Blog

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flip For This Useful Post:
hollyandrea (March 17th, 2012), wormil (March 18th, 2012)
Old March 17th, 2012 Mar 17, 2012 8:10:40 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

You would be best doing your vector creation in another software and only using the cutter software to send the cut. I see that their software has "levels" you can unlock for features that you can find in the free program Inkscape, or if you want to buy software, CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator.

I have not had trouble with Sign Warehouse buying materials, but I've never bought a machine from them. The only issue I had was that I almost never get same day shipping, even though deep in their information area it says orders before a certain time go out the same day. I have to not order at the last minute, which is a good practice anyway (but not always avoidable). Sign Warehouse sells fabric/heat press vinyl on their website but I have not tried any of it yet since I don't own a heat press. I did buy a few small pieces of the iron-on type which has gotten good reviews, but I have yet to actually use it.

This is a discussion about What Vinyl Cutter for a Beginner that was posted in the Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) and Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in