[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - Hello all. Newbie here Introduction and questions - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - Hello all. Newbie here Introduction and questions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By webtrekker
  • 1 Post By webtrekker

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2018 Oct 22, 2018 6:07:21 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Smile Hello all. Newbie here Introduction and questions

Hello all,

My name is Paul and based in the United Kingdom. I'm soon to leave my job as a driving examiner as its ridiculously boring and quite stressful - it's getting tiring failing so many people!

I'm quite a creative person and always had an interest in the printing business. I'll be honest, I don't have much knowledge on the T Shirt printing business but hoping to lean a lot from chatting to you guys.

I have many questions which I hope you can help me out with....
I'm looking at starting off really basic then adding more equipment as I progress. I have about £6k to invest.

I'll be working from home then if I get busy I'll look for commercial premises.

So to start, I'm looking at printing simple one or two color vinyl T Shirts.

The machines that I've researched (and seem the best) are:

* Roland GS-24 24" Cutter (Approx £1,199)
* Hotronix Heat Press Machine by Stahls (Approx £1,300)

Question 1 > Can anyone recommend any other Cutters or Heat Press machines that perhaps don't cost as much but perform just as good?
Computer software I aim to use are Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop. These two I'm most familiar with.

Question 2 > Any other recommendations for software?

Vinyl's and T Shirt suppliers, there seem to be quite a few when I Google it. Not sure which one is the most reputable.

Question 3 > I'm based in the UK can anyone recommend a good Vinyl and T Shirt/clothing supplier? and can you advise on the best type of vinyl to use on clothing?

Question 4 > What if a customer wants an image printing onto clothing that has multiple colors and perhaps the image has effects such as an Outer Glow. Obviously, this would not be able to be achieved with my basic setup. Would I have to get the image screen printed? or is there more advanced or easier options nowadays? If I was to get the image screen printed and sent to me would this be cost effective?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help.

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2018 Oct 22, 2018 8:20:50 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hi Paul. Forget about all of the above for the moment. The main question is: 'Do you have a market for your intended products?' You wouldn't believe how cutthroat and competitive this is.

Have a look at a Cameo 3 as a starting cutter, and check out the garment vinyl at MDP Supplies. Don't lay out a lot of money on equipment and dtock until you have a good grasp of this industry. Marketing and actually getting sales is by far the hardest part.
into the T likes this.

Old October 23rd, 2018 Oct 23, 2018 11:02:41 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Gill

Default Re: Hello all. Newbie here Introduction and questions

Hi Paul,
It might also be worth looking at the embroidery side of the business as well. Its a good option if you can offer both as with a multi needle machine you would be able to offer the multi colours of a logo as you described above. Screen printing is also an option but harder to source for small numbers/jobs.
Kind Regards

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 8:44:11 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick

Hi Paul

I use mdpsupplies (as its 15 mins away from me in Manchester, so no delivery charge) for most of my htv and sign/decal vinyl plus some fotl tshirts,
as for a press, I have a stahl auto open myself as it has a pressure readout and I was new to heat presses, but wish i had got the one that slides out and swings away.

I also use jpss and 3g jet opaque transfers via my a3 epson wf-7110 dtw with pigment ink.
I have a silhouette cameo 2 but recently upgraded to a 24" graphtec cutter as it is faster,quieter and cut mylar stencils really well..

anyway good luck in your new adventure

Rick

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 9:04:15 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for your welcome's guys.

Blackadder thanks for the advice, can I ask if you use your Epsom for sublimation printing? and is there much profit using sublimation? I heard using this method on T shirts isn't very cost effective due the the high price of the ink.

I'm trying to work out the best way to do multi color images on a T shirt without going down the screen printing route.

Ive watched a few videos on youtube of a chap called Martin Butler who appears to offer some good advice on starting up a T shirt printing business. One method he uses for full color on T shirts is basically printing off the image on a normal inject printer but instead of normal paper he uses transfer paper, then he simply heat presses it onto the garment. Is there any quality issues with this method?

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 9:27:53 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Paul,

I watch Martins videos as well...I do not sublimate as yet, and as I am home based do not have the room to add a sublimation setup.
When I first tried using jpss i followed Martins advice and used a dye based printer, but I found the print fading fast so I bought an Epson wf 7110 with pigment ink to solve that problem and will be ok for multi colour designs on white cotton with the jpss and the hand (feel of the transfer) gets softer after washing.
I have used the 3g jet opaque on black t-shirts, but I find the hand a bit heavy so only use it for small chest/sleeve logos.

Hope this helps

Rick

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 11:53:20 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks Rik, thats helped loads!! Are you able to earn enough working from home or is this just a hobby for a bit of spare cash?

Old October 26th, 2018 Oct 26, 2018 4:10:01 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi paul

this is just a hobby that's making me some spare cash. i don't have enough spare room to go at it and build it up as yet...need to convert my cellar to a grade 3 damp free space (which needs doing anyway) then i can put my equipment in one of the rooms and maybe then try and grow

Rick

Old October 26th, 2018 Oct 26, 2018 4:34:39 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hi Paul I'm UK too. I use sublimation inks from CIE in a RicohSG3110DN printer. There's no need to pay Sawgrass prices for ink! I find the cost of my ink negligible.

Sublimation is pretty straightforward and produces excellent, full-colour results with no 'hand' whatsoever. However, you will be restricted to using 100% white, or light polyester material. You can use poly/cotton blends, but on the first wash the print will wash out of the cotton leaving only the print on the polyester fibres which will produce a faded, retro look. Also, you can't sublimate the white in an image, so the shirt colour will always show through the white areas.

This is a discussion about Hello all. Newbie here Introduction and questions that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in