Is selling on ebay really that bad? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

Is selling on ebay really that bad?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2009 Apr 16, 2009 9:30:37 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is selling on ebay really that bad?

How about just selling a t-shirt with you URL on it

Ok maybe not!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2009 Apr 16, 2009 9:38:45 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

This way may not be applicable anymore as I haven't used Ebay for a number of years. But if they still give you a personal page (as they used to) you can list your favourite URL's. SO an old trick (that some people actually marketed and sold on ebay) was to list your website on your profile page, and in your ad/auction just tell people to visit your profile page. It wasn't in violation of ebay rules back in't day! But it might be now. Have a check on it.

Old April 16th, 2009 Apr 16, 2009 10:19:16 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can still put a URL on the 'about me' page, well at least in the UK anyway. As many eBay buyers don't seem to read what is said in the listings themselves, I don't know if they actually look at the 'about me' page?

Ebay are sadly losing the plot on a daily basis. Apart from recent massive price hikes for sellers, who are already finding things tougher at the moment, eBay is also now forcing items in certain categories to offer free postage. So lets say you offered something at £10 plus £2 postage, you can either now be down £2 on your profits, or raise the item price to £12, in which case eBay will take nearly ten percent of the £12 instead of from the original £10. Their profits go up!

Ebay was a reasonable selling venue at one time, but the high fees, petty bureaucracy and their apparent indifference to rogue traders trading on other sellers reputations, has made it more of a clown's day out, than a serious selling venue. A lot of traders with powerseller status have now vacated eBay for good. I personally believe that eBay have forgotten that it is sellers that actually generate ALL their income.

Old April 16th, 2009 Apr 16, 2009 6:38:16 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
How you can get your website advertised on ebay without them getting upset about it.
Very carefully, we've been doing it for a long time

Old April 17th, 2009 Apr 17, 2009 6:15:18 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Auggie

If your e-mail account is hosted by your web server make sure to list it as a contact. For example "[email protected]" If people are internet savvy they can figure out your website from that.

Old April 22nd, 2009 Apr 22, 2009 2:00:33 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

It really depends on the T-Shirt seller whether selling on Ebay is a good idea. If the seller is looking to make proper money then I personally don't think Ebay is a good idea. There are so many t-shirts for sale on Ebay that it is really difficult to establish your t-shirts among the others. Plus the fact that Ebay collect fees too. It would be better if the T-Shirt seller has a plan B as you don't really be wanting to run a long term Ebay business as the more money you make the more Ebay will take(insertion fees,etc).It would be better researching other forms of advertising

Old April 22nd, 2009 Apr 22, 2009 10:41:48 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Charlene

I understand why sellers avoid ebay but at the same time, especially if you're just starting, I think ebay is a reasonable place to sell. You're automatically getting all the thousands of people who buy from ebay as a potential market. So long as you factor ebay and paypal costs into your price, you're still going to make a profit. If you have your own website you have to pay for web hosting and whatever shopping cart service you use, and then of course for advertising to get people to your website. Whatever way you go, you're paying somebody somewhere a slice of your profits.

The main drawback of ebay I think is the competition. So many people are selling tshirts pretty cheap.

Old April 23rd, 2009 Apr 23, 2009 3:31:36 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Euan

Some people LOVE ebay. My flatmate is addicted. I mean completly addicted. I dont think he has brought anything from anywhere other than ebay for the last couple of months, seriously.
So there is a market there.

As far as tee shirts go, definatly dont put anything on there you have spent hours designing just to try get a sale. Within hours it will be copied and someone will be selling it cheaper.

I do use ebay to either sell my 'seconds', tees that have gone slightly wrong, come in with holes/bad stitching etc. Or I use it to get rid of odd sizes or colours that I end up with some way or another. For this I just put a cheesy slogan or something on then sell them cheap, prolly making a pound or two per tee, only really usful for clearing out space as I said

Old April 23rd, 2009 Apr 23, 2009 5:34:51 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bre
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I can see where everyone is coming from. With my personal experience I used ebay as a way to make a little money and get contacts if things inhouse started to slow down. The money I made wasn't from my ebay auction it was from my ebay customers that I kept a close relationship with and started doing business with them without the auction. Once someone wins the auction you have their personal email address and you can offer your company information and you never know what that will get for your company. Just something to think about.

Old April 24th, 2009 Apr 24, 2009 12:51:30 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Nick
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would suggest ebay is a great way to keep things ticking over, with some of our products we can almost guarentee that we will sell a certain ammount using ebay, that keeps us turning over allowing us more time to market our site properly.

Old April 24th, 2009 Apr 24, 2009 11:29:07 AM -   #26 (permalink)
TVS
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

Selling on ebay is to each owns preference, personaly i never sell on there, as its like useing a middle man, and there in lies the issues i have with ebay.
They make money out of you and take profits from your final fee, and so you would have to charge little extra as to cover all costs, and if this results in your prices been higher than other then people won buy items.

Old April 26th, 2009 Apr 26, 2009 1:28:32 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I think the real problem with eBay is paying the listing fees for the items that don't sell. I have seen some eBay UK t-shirt sellers with thousands of listings, which when you look at their feedback, doesn't equate to a sensible profit margin, even allowing for reduced listing fees for featured shops etc.

It's all too easy to get sucked into the trap that you are doing well on eBay, as you've sold X amount of products in a week. It's when sellers get the itemised bill at the end of the month and the huge dent it puts into their perceived profits, that the reality really hits home.

Old June 24th, 2009 Jun 24, 2009 10:50:43 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Zack

i guess it is that bad, i thought ebay were suppouse to help the new sellers as well as the top earners but oh well, just another coperation making money of us

Old June 24th, 2009 Jun 24, 2009 11:23:58 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1999. Ebay has done nothing but gotten greedy and screws the sellers. I have been looking into other sites and have had some luck. Much of it depends on traffic. Ebay does have the traffic whiole other sites have to play catch up. I believe in the future, ebay will have to change or will go out like some of the car companies. I do still sell on eaby, but not as much. I will still buy on eaby. but am just very careful.

This is a discussion about Is selling on ebay really that bad? that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in