Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 18th, 2009 Jan 18, 2009 5:50:38 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Phil
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Hi,
Ok guy's here I go again, running before I can walk!
I have just started producing a 'budget range' of t-shirts in my shop printed with Inkjet Transfers and only on white tees. I am buying my Transfer Paper from the Robert Horne Group, printing with an Epson printer and pigment inks. I have done wash tests and they are holding up well!

What advantages are there in using a Colour Laser Printer and Laser Transfer Papers?

If I decide to try out the Laser route it looks like the Magic Touch supply a range of Laser Transfer Papers what are they like? Who else sells Laser Transfer Paper here in the U.K?

If I choose the Magic Touch as my supplier of Laser Transfer Paper must I use their Oki Printer at £499.00 + VAT or can I source a more reasonably priced colour laser printer from elsewhere?

My main questions here are do laser printed transfers 'hold-up' better than inkjet ones? After the initial outlay, is it more cost effective to produce Laser Printed Transfers?

I hope somone here in the U.K can give me some guidance here!

Regards
Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2009 Jan 19, 2009 11:32:19 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: jim

Default Re: Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

These are suppliers of Laser& Inkjet transfer papers

Merlin Transfers. When only the best will do.
www.foreverpromotions.com

You can buy the Oki or any other laser printer a lot cheaper from

www.printerbase.co.uk

Jim

Old January 20th, 2009 Jan 20, 2009 12:39:08 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc
These are suppliers of Laser& Inkjet transfer papers

Merlin Transfers. When only the best will do.
www.foreverpromotions.com

You can buy the Oki or any other laser printer a lot cheaper from

www.printerbase.co.uk

Jim
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply. Is it true that Magictouch modify the Oki Laser printer to accept transfer media?
And is the oki the best laser printer to 'go for' in this price range?

Phil

Old January 20th, 2009 Jan 20, 2009 6:03:47 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Number 1 advantage of a laser printer is on speed. And in some cases, the cost per print could be lower than inkjet. I'm not sure how Canon does business there in the UK, but maybe you could call a Canon distributor nearby and ask if you can buy a printer and get into a service contract with them where you just pay on a "per copy (per print) basis, sometimes referred to as "click charge". The company takes care of refilling the ink and servicing your printer. We have recently added a Canon iRC2550 in our shop and it's doing a good job. We can event print A3 size transfer papers, and we also use them to make business cards, posters, etc. The downside is that these bigger laser printers/copiers are more expensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to vctradingcubao For This Useful Post:
funkymunky (January 20th, 2009)
Old January 25th, 2009 Jan 25, 2009 5:04:01 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: jim

I believe Themagictouch modify the fuser unit in some way but I've read of people who use unmodified Okis without any problems.
I've not had much experience with laser transfers but I tried samples of their paper for hard goods through my Xerox and they went through ok even though this printer does not have the straight path feed that the Oki has.
What I like about the Xerox (1680) is the total lack of banding.

Jim

Old January 25th, 2009 Jan 25, 2009 5:19:14 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Hi Jim. Yes, I think laser printers would not give any "banding" problems, only inkjets have this.

Old January 25th, 2009 Jan 25, 2009 6:46:47 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ken

I don't believe they modify the printer. They sell a stock Oki C6150 in the US for $499. I believe it is the OEM INK that gives this printer five stars from MagicTouch as to compatibility with their paper. I have one and I love it. The saving is the lack of aggrivation caused by plugged ink heads. I find there is less of the "Border" using this printer/paper as compared to my C-88 and stock ink with Conde's Elasti-Jet paper. I use the "Forever Classic/Universal" paper from Conde in my Oki with excelent results as far as durability. The feel of the imprint is modestly less "soft" than the ink jet, but very acceptable. In my opinion, the shirt should be a tight weave for best results. I use Hanes Beefy T or comparable weight shirts.

Old January 25th, 2009 Jan 25, 2009 10:14:56 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Thanks for all replies. I have just installed refillable cartridges into my Epson which I am filling with pigment inks. I am now going to try and make some money with this setup. When it comes to upgrade I will re-look at my options.

Phil

Old February 2nd, 2009 Feb 2, 2009 3:54:30 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mik

Primarily i print vinyl but i decided to experiment with laser transfers. I decided to go with laser as the outlay for subli was way too much for my turnover. I found a supplier of paper in ireland Welcome to Print it!, your source for heat transfer paper products. and got a cheap xerox 6110 from printerbase (£79) unfortunatly the dark paper didnt like my printer so i resigned myself to having a nice colour laser printer for my home pc.
3 days before xmas i ran out of white vinyl and went on a mad dash to Magic touch, who i had not used before, to get some. They are really nice guys and their vinyl is superb but thats another story.
While there i got a few sample sheets of their light, dark and cbm paper.
I am happy to say that their paper works fine with my printer and on the settings recommended by them for their own printer.
I havent started "mass producing" pictures yet but so far i have not had any problems. The 6110 pulls the paper from the bottom and then vertically over a transfer belt which deposits the toner, keeping the paper straight throughout the process, it then feeds at an angle of about 30 degrees over the fuser, this is where the paper from ireland was having a problem, however the magic paper seems ok with this.
The trick of this printer is that it doesn't have to pull the paper over 4 different drums, one for each colour, instead the toner is deposited on a continuous belt which brings the image from the heads to the paper, the paper receives all 4 colours at the same time and only needs one point of contact for the transfer.
I have to admit that i am quite pleased with myself as the total outlay was less than £100 and i can print 12 ppm in colour. Also as the CBM paper works, i can do mugs and mousemats etc during the summer.
A complete set of toner carts for this printer is only around £100.
One last point, get the 6110n which is about £10 more than the 6110, that way you can plug it into your network port if you are short on usb ports.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Market-Tee For This Useful Post:
funkymunky (February 2nd, 2009), vctradingcubao (February 2nd, 2009)
Old February 2nd, 2009 Feb 2, 2009 4:31:21 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Great post Mik, thanks for sharing this gem of an info.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 12:01:13 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market-Tee
Primarily i print vinyl but i decided to experiment with laser transfers. I decided to go with laser as the outlay for subli was way too much for my turnover. I found a supplier of paper in ireland Welcome to Print it!, your source for heat transfer paper products. and got a cheap xerox 6110 from printerbase (£79) unfortunatly the dark paper didnt like my printer so i resigned myself to having a nice colour laser printer for my home pc.
3 days before xmas i ran out of white vinyl and went on a mad dash to Magic touch, who i had not used before, to get some. They are really nice guys and their vinyl is superb but thats another story.
While there i got a few sample sheets of their light, dark and cbm paper.
I am happy to say that their paper works fine with my printer and on the settings recommended by them for their own printer.
I havent started "mass producing" pictures yet but so far i have not had any problems. The 6110 pulls the paper from the bottom and then vertically over a transfer belt which deposits the toner, keeping the paper straight throughout the process, it then feeds at an angle of about 30 degrees over the fuser, this is where the paper from ireland was having a problem, however the magic paper seems ok with this.
The trick of this printer is that it doesn't have to pull the paper over 4 different drums, one for each colour, instead the toner is deposited on a continuous belt which brings the image from the heads to the paper, the paper receives all 4 colours at the same time and only needs one point of contact for the transfer.
I have to admit that i am quite pleased with myself as the total outlay was less than £100 and i can print 12 ppm in colour. Also as the CBM paper works, i can do mugs and mousemats etc during the summer.
A complete set of toner carts for this printer is only around £100.
One last point, get the 6110n which is about £10 more than the 6110, that way you can plug it into your network port if you are short on usb ports.
Hi Mik,
Thanks for that post. I trust you are happy with the resolution of the images too? And are the shirts wash testing well?
This could save me a whole bunch of cash as we have been looking at leasing a laser copier I fitted some refillable carts the other day into my inkjet printer shall we say it wasn't too sucessful. I think I have had it with inkjets

Phil

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 1:12:20 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jamie

Hi Phil,

The laser transfer system works fine, we have also tried media from a few suppliers including magic touch and there doesn't really seem to be much between them. We only really use this method for promo t shirts though. If you need any help with coloured t shirts with full colour print give me a call, we have a DTG printer which gives full colour print at screen print quality ( actually better for photographs etc ) dark coloured transfers are a pain, expensive at around a pound per sheet rather than 20p and unless you want to spend time cutting around the image leave a white border.

any samples or help give me a call on 01909 561900 or email me [email protected]

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 1:23:05 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mik

Wink Re: Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky
Hi Mik,
Thanks for that post. I trust you are happy with the resolution of the images too? And are the shirts wash testing well?
This could save me a whole bunch of cash as we have been looking at leasing a laser copier I fitted some refillable carts the other day into my inkjet printer shall we say it wasn't too sucessful. I think I have had it with inkjets

Phil
Hi phil,
yes the resolution is fine and the images are bright and clear. The only wash testing I have done was using the transferwear paper from ireland and it holds up quite well on the dark paper but washing inside out is a must, i assume the magic paper will be the same.
The only major downside for me was experimenting with settings in the beginning. If you get it wrong you end up with a fuser coverd in toner and the unit has to be stripped to clean it, luckily I am a pc/printer engineer so i know how but i wouldnt recommend using the transferwear paper with the xerox machine i have.
the magic touch paper works fine first time and so if you are thinking of investing i would go with that. Note this only applies to the dark paper. Light paper isn't a problem.
another problem I have had with the xerox, and this would apply to most cheaper laser printers, is that it doesnt work very well in the cold. I print Shirts outside on the markets and laser printing is out if the temp is below 2degrees. The fuser just can't get up to temp in cheaper printers altho I am sure that most of you have nice comfy warm offices and shops to do your printing in so this won't be a problem.
With respect to magic paper, I use TTC3.3 for light shirts with the printer set for Bond and OBM 5.6 with the same printer setting for dark mode. I'll let you know what the setting for other papers is as i use them.
Transferwear paper is all set at Cotton mode but only use the dark stuff on their recommended printers

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 2:34:02 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Hi again Mik,
I would like to thank you for all your kind input on this thread. Please keep us informed on how other papers perform with a 'cheap' laser printer.
Keep warm friend

Phil

Old February 5th, 2009 Feb 5, 2009 3:51:09 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply. Is it true that Magictouch modify the Oki Laser printer to accept transfer media?
No, it's not true. I asked them if there were any other modifications other than the sticker on the front and the answer was 'no'

However they said that if a problem is caused by using thick transfer paper in the printer there could be warranty issues if you tried returning it to a different supplier.

I took the part about warranties to be standard sales BS. I purchased a printer from them anyway.

This is a discussion about Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages? that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in