Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages? - Page 11 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 11:31:01 AM -   #151 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Phil
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERENDDUCK
got it sorted at last
this is for ttc 3.1

prepress for 2 seconds (not till steam stops coming out. that was my problem all along )

set temp 190
press for 30 seconds heavy presure
peel very hot
repress for 2 seconds with teflon sheet
then stretch
job perfect
Well done Paul.
You are now an Official Member of the Laser Printed Transfer Club U.K.
I'm glad you are happy with your result.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 11:40:30 AM -   #152 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmcaliece
I'll add to this, I use Gildan 2000 or 5000 most of the time.

I have been surprised over the years at the number of people coming in telling us that they need 'Fruit of the Loom' shirts printing as they are the best, generally they have no idea what they are talking about and it's the only brand of blank that they have ever heard of !

This must annoy the people over at Gildan !
Your right Neil, I too get it all the time! But it's nice having the two shirts under the counter to thrust in the FOTL fans face, there really is a significant differance in the black shirts!
I find though that the Gildan tees do come up a little long in the body.
Has anyone tried the New Gildan 64000 'Ringspun' tees yet?
I had a sample bought to me by the Elms & Elms rep the other week. He tells me that the sizing of these tees is more comparable with U.K sizing, they feel beautiful but are a little lighter @ 160gsm.

Phil

Old August 21st, 2009 Aug 21, 2009 5:19:00 AM -   #153 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Nick
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky
Your right Neil, I too get it all the time! But it's nice having the two shirts under the counter to thrust in the FOTL fans face, there really is a significant differance in the black shirts!
I find though that the Gildan tees do come up a little long in the body.
Has anyone tried the New Gildan 64000 'Ringspun' tees yet?
I had a sample bought to me by the Elms & Elms rep the other week. He tells me that the sizing of these tees is more comparable with U.K sizing, they feel beautiful but are a little lighter @ 160gsm.

Phil
I havn't but it sounds good. Do you have an idea of the pricing?

Old August 21st, 2009 Aug 21, 2009 1:36:23 PM -   #154 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchimp
I havn't but it sounds good. Do you have an idea of the pricing?
Nick,
Sorry for taking my time to reply here, busy day!
Anyway, pricing from the latest Elms & Elms catalogue (there has been a small price rise since!)

White S-XXL £0.85
Sp Grey " " £1.05
Colours " " £1.19

So not too much more than Gildan 5000's which I Stock. But remember they are only 160gsm, which is a nice Summer weight!

Phil

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 11:22:33 AM -   #155 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mik

Well now that I am playing with my new oki printer, i have had the chance to really test the dark papers I have. Today I decided to use the Transferwear paper i got from print it in dublin.
The Xerox didnt really like it so I just put it away until now.
I Have to say the results were exceptionally good.I got a perfect high quality image and there was no flaking when i seperated it from the backing.
At 68 Euro for 100 sheets (thats £59 at todays rates) it has to be the cheapest dark paper i have found. It can also be bought in packs of 50 sheets which can be handy if you don't need as many. In fact I notice that you can buy a double pack at 26 Euro (£22) for 20 sheets of light and 20 sheets of dark.

The only thing I noticed the last time I used it was that it didnt wash as well as the xpress dark paper but I will test again and let you all know how it goes .
I have also tried the CL paper for printing on mugs etc and again the results were good but I haven't had a chance to actually press a mug properly yet.

As much as I was, and still am, a supporter of the xerox, the results on the oki leave it miles behind and allow me to have a greater choice of papers to use.

Personally I intend to use the transferwear dark paper on any stag or hen shirts regardless of the wash test as these shirts rarely make it to a first wash and even then they won't make it to a second so I think I am fairly safe ground. Call me mercenary but but having to compete with the super cheap internet printers out there, every Penny counts and the quality of the print is so much better. And lets be honest, most stag and hen groups don't want quality, they want Cheap but good for a once off use.

Following my success with the oki and the transferwear paper, i am going to get some of their imageclip paper just to see what its like to use so watch out for further updates.

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 12:05:13 PM -   #156 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mik, i'm pleased you are getting a result with your new printer.
Until I can get a reliable result with any 'Dark' papers I'm sorry but I can't use them.
With no rudeness intended at all, I work from a shop as you know. If they don't bring the shirts back to you on your market stall they sure will bring them back to my shop.
Ramsgate is a small town and I am simply not going to risk my reputation, which has taken a while to build.
You can buy a printed dark shirt from Primark for 4 quid and the print will stay on in the wash, that is all a customer understands!
You are supposed to be able to overlap different colour garment vinyls on dark shirts but whenever I have, I have had problems. So the quest to be able to decorate dark shirts in multiple colours continues
When things quieten down a bit I intend to start experimenting with Plastisol Transfers as I have recently purchased a Screen Print Table with a vacuum bed, so another steep learning curve lies ahead, and help from the Forum sought for sure!
Onwards and upwards people!

Phil

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 12:15:39 PM -   #157 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,130 Times in 837 Posts

Imageclip is a very good product. Both laser and inkjet versions are my transfer of preference. Laser version comes first because laser toner print is more vibrant than inkjet print. Both papers live up to their claims, self weeding. However, the laser version has limitations. Very light color, photo and gradient designs does not work very well with laser version. According to the maker when the toner density is 40% or less the polymer will have a hard time bonding to the toner. So the transferred image will be blotchy. The inkjet version solves those issues.

To keep with the topic of the thread, I like both technology. I prefer laser because it has durable transferred image, vibrant and print fast. The inkjet second because of less vibrancy and tends to clog in the middle of the run. As a matter of fact I have 3 8.5X11 and one 11X17 printers still in boxes just in case of failure.

Both technology has self weeding transfers(Imageclip) so I use both depending on the design to avoid issues that come with the laser version.

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 12:25:51 PM -   #158 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfortun
Imageclip is a very good product. Both laser and inkjet versions are my transfer of preference. Laser version comes first because laser toner print is more vibrant than inkjet print. Both papers live up to their claims, self weeding. However, the laser version has limitations. Very light color, photo and gradient designs does not work very well with laser version. According to the maker when the toner density is 40% or less the polymer will have a hard time bonding to the toner. So the transferred image will be blotchy. The inkjet version solves those issues.

To keep with the topic of the thread, I like both technology. I prefer laser because it has durable transferred image, vibrant and print fast. The inkjet second because of less vibrancy and tends to clog in the middle of the run. As a matter of fact I have 3 8.5X11 and one 11X17 printers still in boxes just in case of failure.

Both technology has self weeding transfers(Imageclip) so I use both depending on the design to avoid issues that come with the laser version.
Thanks for your input Luis.
It looks like we can get Imageclip papers here in the U.K too From here:A4 PHOTO-TRANS ImageClip
I have read and heard conflicting reviews on these self-weeding papers. The one I knew about here in the U.K was the WOW papers from Magic Touch the price of this stuff alone scared me!
Maybe i'll give this Imageclip a try.

Phil

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 12:43:07 PM -   #159 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market-Tee
I have also tried the CL paper for printing on mugs etc and again the results were good but I haven't had a chance to actually press a mug properly yet.
Hi Mik,
When you do actually get round to printing your mugs, will you be using a mug press or clamps and an oven? Another idea I have been toying with too

Phil

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 1:31:02 PM -   #160 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mik

Quote:
Hi Mik,
When you do actually get round to printing your mugs, will you be using a mug press or clamps and an oven? Another idea I have been toying with too

Phil
Hey phil,
Firstly, people do actually bring stuff back to me. I am a regular on the southampton market and as such i have regular customers, i've even had a return or two which i sorted out amicably.
For this reason, i like you steered away from dark transfers until now.
If you like , PM me and i'll send you a couple of sample prints and you can see for yourself what the oki produces.

With respect to the mugs, I am intending to use a mug press as I have to be able to do "while you wait" service.
The only downside to the cl paper is that after pressing you have to bake the mug in an oven to glaze the design on. My answer to this is to tell customers this when they buy one and include simple instructions and let them glaze the mug themselves at home.
The upside of course is that with the cl paper I can use any mug i like, which will reduce costs to me if I can source them.

Finally, you might find that the ultra cut is a bit better for overlaying colours. I have found this since i started using it.

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 2:32:05 PM -   #161 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Thanks for your input Luis.
It looks like we can get Imageclip papers here in the U.K too From here:A4 PHOTO-TRANS ImageClip
I have read and heard conflicting reviews on these self-weeding papers. The one I knew about here in the U.K was the WOW papers from Magic Touch the price of this stuff alone scared me!
Maybe i'll give this Imageclip a try.

Phil
I have tried WOW 7.1 once. I may have not pressed it right because some of the transfers stayed with opaque paper during first step. The think cracked too after 2 washes.

For the price I don't think I am going to dive in anytime soom.

Old August 22nd, 2009 Aug 22, 2009 2:39:57 PM -   #162 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Speaking of mugs. The Imageclip image sheet or red printed sheet can be used for mugs. Have not tried it though. I do have a mug press that I bought a while back. It is still in the box. I was put off doing mugs when I found out that the price of sublimation inks and coated mugs were very costly. I have a box of coated mugs. Not sure if a regular laser paper for hard goods or something like Imageclip image sheet will work on it.

Anybody tried coated mugs with non sublimation ink?

Thanks.

Old October 13th, 2009 Oct 13, 2009 9:06:45 AM -   #163 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Louisa

Still on the hunt for a (cheap) laser printer!

Any opinions on this one-
Buy a cheap HP Colour LaserJet CP1217 Colour Laser Printer from PC World.

HP Colour LaserJet CP1217?

How easily can it go wrong? I had a look around a store today and they all had stickers saying "warranty void if used with unauthorised paper"
Is there an easy way to adjust the settings? how will I know what to adjust them to?

Old November 29th, 2009 Nov 29, 2009 10:18:51 AM -   #164 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi Phil,
if your thinking of upgrading you could switch to chromablast inks (sawgrass). you have to use chromablast paper for white shirts and for dark shirts a inkjet dark paper. the quality is great, especially on white
and your ink costs will be much cheaper.
paper and ink it works out cheaper than laser per print.

Old November 29th, 2009 Nov 29, 2009 11:29:52 AM -   #165 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.d
Hi Phil,
if your thinking of upgrading you could switch to chromablast inks (sawgrass). you have to use chromablast paper for white shirts and for dark shirts a inkjet dark paper. the quality is great, especially on white
and your ink costs will be much cheaper.
paper and ink it works out cheaper than laser per print.
Thanks bryan.d, I will do some homework on this

Phil

This is a discussion about Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages? that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in