Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages? - Page 10 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 19th, 2009 Aug 19, 2009 2:02:30 PM -   #136 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Phil
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages?

Hi Chris & Welcome,
The Xerox machine is great for starting out with.
Papers for light coloured shirts use Xpres or Magic Touch. The dark papers from anyone still don't perform!
If you are only doing A4 size prints a 38 x 38cm Clamshell press will do.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2009 Aug 19, 2009 2:28:16 PM -   #137 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris

Thanks Phil

is there anything else i need, also am i right in presuming i print on this xpress paper mirror style, cut the image out, preheat the shirt and then press, where do i get the teflon from, also i saw that mt use 2 pieces of paper is this the same with xpress. sorry for the questions just keen to get started.

Thanks in advance

chris

Old August 19th, 2009 Aug 19, 2009 3:15:44 PM -   #138 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Could somebody please separate this thread and get all the Xerox stuff out and into a different thread so we can get back to topic please. We just might have a couple pages about this cheap Xerox in here.

Nothing against the Xerox...just would like to keep on topic.

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 12:34:50 AM -   #139 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
Could somebody please separate this thread and get all the Xerox stuff out and into a different thread so we can get back to topic please. We just might have a couple pages about this cheap Xerox in here.

Nothing against the Xerox...just would like to keep on topic.
Moderator in the making
Everything in this thread is reletive to producing laser printed transfers using the cheap Xerox printer.

Phil

The Following User Says Thank You to funkymunky For This Useful Post:
Jamey (August 20th, 2009)
Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 12:42:12 AM -   #140 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thanks Phil

is there anything else i need, also am i right in presuming i print on this xpress paper mirror style, cut the image out, preheat the shirt and then press, where do i get the teflon from, also i saw that mt use 2 pieces of paper is this the same with xpress. sorry for the questions just keen to get started.

Thanks in advance

chris
Hi Chris,
Yes, print the transfer paper in mirror.
I then pre-press the shirt for 5 seconds @ 190 degrees celcius.
Place the transfer on the shirt cover with teflon and press at the same temperature for 15 seconds.
Remove the teflon and peel the transfer hot.
I then cover the transfer with parchment paper and teflon and press again for a further 5 seconds. This gives the transfer a really nice 'hand'.
I then remove the shirt from the press while hot and give the transfer a slight stretch.
Your done!

Phil

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 3:23:17 AM -   #141 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Phil,

Thanks so much, and for the person asking to move the xerox stuff off the forum, the title was inkjet vs Laser I was going down the inkjet route until i read this thread and thanks to the excellent posts on here I have chosen to go laser and also saved a packet as I was also looking at Magic Touch so this thread has helped me make up my mind and saved me money. Fantastic thanks everyone its been great for me.!

Chris

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 3:24:45 AM -   #142 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Phil,

Sorry one more do you use fotl or another brand of T.

Thanks

Chris

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 4:16:40 AM -   #143 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Phil,

Thanks so much, and for the person asking to move the xerox stuff off the forum, the title was inkjet vs Laser I was going down the inkjet route until i read this thread and thanks to the excellent posts on here I have chosen to go laser and also saved a packet as I was also looking at Magic Touch so this thread has helped me make up my mind and saved me money. Fantastic thanks everyone its been great for me.!

Chris
Yes, there is a lot of great Inkjet vs Laser Transfer info in this thread. But, you missed the point. It's turned into a Xerox deals and testing thread. I watch this thread for new results in case something new comes out to tip the scales and Xerox talk started because it's a cheap way to get into laser. A few mentions are fine...but to go on and on...come on...start a new thread already. Now we mostly see new Xerox news and not what I came to this thread for. I came for read/talk about "Inkjet vs Laser Transfers".

This is the last I'll say on this matter in this thread. If the staff cleans up this thread, then please remove my references to cleaning it up as well.

Thanks

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 4:28:58 AM -   #144 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hi,

Thanks for the response, im not going to get drawn into a debate about this however i have not missed your point at all, i also started reading this thread as i did not know what to go for and was torn between the two styles.

If it was not for these guys going on about the Xerox I would of spent £500 on a printer where in reality thanks to this thread i can now get a printer to do the same job and save myself £400+ , so in my humble opinion this thread has been a great help.

And also chosen to go down the laser route!! so choice made, money saved, excellent thread i think.

The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
funkymunky (August 20th, 2009)
Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 4:45:16 AM -   #145 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market-Tee
Defection complete, I am now thw proud owner of an oki c5600. Have to admit I am mega impressed. Have tried all the different papers i have in it ( xpress,magic cut and transferwear) and they all come out perfect and in half the time it takes the xerox to warm up.
I think that nearly new for only £200 on ebay was a good deal and although its not the model supplied by magic touch, it works fine (and was £300 cheaper)
I would still say that the xerox is a great little printer and a great inexpensive starting point for anyone but if like me, you find that you start to out grow it, then the oki is great.
mik
Gratz on your Okidata. I have the new Okidata C830DTN which is a step above the C8800DTN. I'm working on doing a review on it. I chose laser due to all the ink spitter horror stories. I do have a Epson 1400 and a HP AIO. My Oki is nicer than both by far. The kids use the Epson and we use the HP as a fax machine now...hehehe.

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 5:47:57 AM -   #146 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Phil,

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,
I did try FOTL but personally I prefer Gildan shirts. If you compare a BLACK FOTL shirt with a Gildan one you will see why! FOTL are grey Now with black being my biggest seller it was an issue.
I keep one of each behind the counter nowdays to show the FOTL fans the differance!

Phil

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 6:10:16 AM -   #147 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
Yes, there is a lot of great Inkjet vs Laser Transfer info in this thread. But, you missed the point. It's turned into a Xerox deals and testing thread. I watch this thread for new results in case something new comes out to tip the scales and Xerox talk started because it's a cheap way to get into laser. A few mentions are fine...but to go on and on...come on...start a new thread already. Now we mostly see new Xerox news and not what I came to this thread for. I came for read/talk about "Inkjet vs Laser Transfers".

This is the last I'll say on this matter in this thread. If the staff cleans up this thread, then please remove my references to cleaning it up as well.

Thanks
Jamey,
I created this thread because of frustration of trying to get the information I needed from the American sections of this forum.
You have transfer papers out there which we cannot even source here in the U.K.
You have Epson printers with completely different model numbers to those supplied here in the U.K.
For that reason I created this thread for U.K members of this forum to contribute to and hopefully find the given information useful. Which I think it has achieved!
We don't have many sections which are U.K specific, this is it!
If this thread has helped just one person in starting up in the bewildering t-shirt transfer decorating business then it has achieved it's intended purpose.
It has helped me in a huge way and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have contributed to it.
Thank you.

Phil

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 6:47:37 AM -   #148 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'm subscribed to to this thread though I'm not sure if I've made a contribution, . I still open and read though everytime there's a new post. I think I've also learned from the experiences of the others. Thanks!

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 8:18:40 AM -   #149 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

got it sorted at last
this is for ttc 3.1

prepress for 2 seconds (not till steam stops coming out. that was my problem all along )

set temp 190
press for 30 seconds heavy presure
peel very hot
repress for 2 seconds with teflon sheet
then stretch
job perfect

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 10:56:24 AM -   #150 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Neil

Quote:
I'll add to this, I use Gildan 2000 or 5000 most of the time.

I have been surprised over the years at the number of people coming in telling us that they need 'Fruit of the Loom' shirts printing as they are the best, generally they have no idea what they are talking about and it's the only brand of blank that they have ever heard of !

This must annoy the people over at Gildan !

This is a discussion about Inkjet vs Laser Transfers. Any real advantages? that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in