[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - What equipment to buy? - Page 7 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - What equipment to buy?

Like Tree40Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 9th, 2016 Oct 9, 2016 3:51:59 AM -   #91 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lee
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What equipment to buy?

We are all entitled to our opinion though
Dekzion likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2016 Oct 9, 2016 4:31:12 AM -   #92 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: dave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Very interesting thread. I will definitely be looking this thread up when purchasing heat press stuff in the future (don't have time or room at present).

Pat, if you don't mind me asking another question, what % of your work is screen printing vs heat press, sublimation, etc?

Old October 9th, 2016 Oct 9, 2016 8:15:11 AM -   #93 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesfreeze
Very interesting thread. I will definitely be looking this thread up when purchasing heat press stuff in the future (don't have time or room at present).

Pat, if you don't mind me asking another question, what % of your work is screen printing vs heat press, sublimation, etc?
By volume ( number of garments) it is still screen print by far, but by order numbers it is heatpress.

I have started to limit my new screen print work to customers who are likely to bring repeat business. Mainly workwear, clubs, teams and schools. I have about 60 regular customers, with screens already burnt. Some only buy 20 a year, some buy 20 a week or month, a few have 1000+ once a year.
I only needed to burn a couple of dozen new screens last year, which suits me fine.
I have a minimum screen print of 20 pieces anyway, but I found I was screen printing new jobs of 20 - 50 pieces that could be just as easily, and cheaply, done with vinyl - text and simple logos. I was finding that screen making, set up and cleaning was taking about the same time as weeding 50 simple logos. Add to that the fact that I can get an extra £1 - £2 a garment, if I don't offer screen printing, then the maths works out.
Dekzion likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
teesfreeze (October 10th, 2016)

Old October 9th, 2016 Oct 9, 2016 4:53:10 PM -   #94 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Does anyone use release paper when using the heat press or a silicone mat?

I'm a bit concerned that the T-shirt might get scorched from the press and wondering what's the best thing to use in between?

Also what type of wedding tool is best to use? I like the look of the rounded end tweezers.

Old October 9th, 2016 Oct 9, 2016 10:41:42 PM -   #95 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Derek
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I use a piece of parchment paper (Tesco £1) to cover the base and a sheet over the top as well. You need to keep staining off your plates and if you are printing 'borderless' (well as borderless as a Ricoh prints lol) it can sometimes gas out of the side of the sheet. I had this happen the other day when doing a jigsaw, (I hadn't pre heated it enough in my rush) it was lucky I had it covered both sides because it stained the protection by about quarter of an inch all round, and that would have transferred to the plates which would have gone on anything white there after.
If you're talking the red rubber type sheet thing, I was getting very inconsistent results with it. It drops the temperature and resists heat. the only thing I use that for is slates now. I heat through the slates with the transfer on the bottom facing up, and put the red sheet on first, this seems to hold back the heat from the bottom plate giving, imo, a crisper print.
I've over cooked shirts in the beginning but that left a very slight yellow background only, I've never managed to 'scorch' one yet.

We use the Cameo round hook weeders, we straightened them slightly so when you hold them naturally they are more vertical, and sharpened the tip with a nail file for better penetration.
Then it's raid the missuses toilet bag or go and buy some decent stainless nail-files from boots with a decent angled flat tip. (probably safer to buy your own)

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 3:47:06 AM -   #96 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the info again.

I had to google parchment paper...now I know.

I'm currently installing the printer drivers which is causing a problem. Hopefully by the end of the day I should be up and running.

Do you ever do a test print on standard paper (using different printer of course) just to check the layout and size? I'm unsure what the size will be like when creating my designs

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 7:37:20 AM -   #97 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

If you just install the dvd progs first and then power up the printer they should find each other okay because the drivers will be in the right box instead of trying to search the disk.
As you will prob be printing A4 just save your image on your editor as full page jpg then print with the Ricoh.
Don't forget to register everything, and get your download of powerdriver from wherever you got the printer and inks, or direct from Sawgrass but you'll have to register there as well.

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 8:01:06 AM -   #98 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: dave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Pat, thanks very much for that. Very useful info as always.

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 8:53:03 AM -   #99 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm using the serif page design now. I'm trying to set up the page so that I have a template outlining the sublimation area of the mug as well as where logos & text can be placed i.e left hander text, right hander text and centralised image.
In regards to the font, is it only those that come with serif or can you download others?

I think it's going to take me a while to get my head around the software, when using it today it did appear daunting but I'm sure it will get easier as time goes on.

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 11:57:16 AM -   #100 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Is that Page Plus? you'll soon be flying around it.
Open a plain A4 and do a 'custom' page size from the dropdown (make it the size I gave you) and then immediately 'save as' (just call it mug wrap) somewhere you can find it easy.
so when you go to do mug wraps just click on it and it'll open a clean wrap ready to go.
you can 'save as' anything when you make a design and it'll be saved as a working page that can be opened and altered at a later date. BUT remember when you go to shut the prog it'll ask you 'do you want to save changes to 'mug wrap'' Say no because you will lose your original blank page.
You can use any font that is on your computer, via the drop down when you are in text mode.
If you do a string of text and then click on it it will be in a box, if you click on the cross hair, (top left usually), of the text box, and then use the drop-down font box, the text will change as you scroll down it and click to select.
you can drag and resize everything on the page to wherever you want it. have fun.

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 12:39:24 PM -   #101 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

When you set a custom blank page size, try - {file/save as/save as type} then choose 'Page Plus Template (*.ppx)' from the drop down menu. Give it a name as normal.
That way, when you open up PagePlus, choose 'New Publication' in the start-up menu, and your template will appear as an option under 'my templates' at the top of the page. When you open it, it will appear with the title ' publication 1', not the template name, so you won't over-right your original template when you save.

Old October 10th, 2016 Oct 10, 2016 1:55:05 PM -   #102 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

yep, or you can do it that way. like properly. teehee, you can even right click the icon on the bottom bar and a pop up will appear usually with the last few designs you opened. Serif is a great prog and there's so many twists you will find that just makes it personalised
PatWibble likes this.

Old October 11th, 2016 Oct 11, 2016 1:14:29 AM -   #103 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Of course, the easiest way is to stick a shortcut to the template on your desktop...

Old October 11th, 2016 Oct 11, 2016 4:39:41 AM -   #104 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

aagghhh,,, nooooooo! my desktop stays absolutely empty. the state of your desktop portrays the state of your mind I'm informed. mines as clear as a mountain spring. I even have the task bar unlocked and on auto hide.
Nah, I just dragged the folder with the mug press wraps in onto my side bar. 2 clicks and I'm in, like a ninja.

This is a discussion about What equipment to buy? that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in