[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - Emulsion running after exposure - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - Emulsion running after exposure

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 20th, 2015 Jun 20, 2015 3:06:52 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: WeeMike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Emulsion running after exposure

Hey Guys n Girls,

I'm a first time t-shirt printer and have brought a diy kit from dave roper to get me going.

I'm having a few issue's with the emulsion running after washing out the exposure (a basic blocky silhouette with big lettering).

Here's where I've got to so far...

Putting the emulsion on thin enough to coat but not too thick, allowing the emulsion to dry for 24hrs with a fan (taken me 3 attempts to get here).

Exposing the image on the screen with the right amount of pressure on the image (3 attempts and now using a sheet of glass) and leaving the image exposing for long enough, I've tried following the booklet and dvd instructions and exposed for 9.5 mins and 10 mins (it said 9-10) and then I tried 10.5 and 11 mins (the booklet said 10-11).

Each time when I washed out the image the emulsion surrounding the image started to run when I washed it out.

I've gone from lukewarm water (what the dvd said) to cold water (what the booklet said) from a spray (what the dvd said) to a light flow (what people on here say).

So, firstly as you can see it's a tad confusion with the dvd and the booklet in the kit saying two different things, but I've got there nearly anyway.

And now I'm at the stage where I can wash out the image without any of the emulsion from the rest of the screen being washed out by the spray, but I still get some leakage of the emulsion on to the image I've just washed out.

Now matter how quick I am at getting a cloth/paper towel onto the screen the emulsion still seems to run.

I have managed to print one t-shirt using the image from the attempt where I didn't worry about the emulsion running on to the image, I rubbed/dabbed it with a paper towel and got most of it off, and the image looked fine mostly but where I couldn't dab off enough of the run emulsion the print was splodgy, so I reclaimed and started again.

Does anyone have an experience of using the diy kit from dave roper, it's the rayonet pink emulsion that I'm using as I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2015 Jun 20, 2015 3:38:33 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TLK
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Tud

Default Re: Emulsion running after exposure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeManMike
Hey Guys n Girls,

I'm a first time t-shirt printer and have brought a diy kit from dave roper to get me going.

I'm having a few issue's with the emulsion running after washing out the exposure (a basic blocky silhouette with big lettering).

Here's where I've got to so far...

Putting the emulsion on thin enough to coat but not too thick, allowing the emulsion to dry for 24hrs with a fan (taken me 3 attempts to get here).

Exposing the image on the screen with the right amount of pressure on the image (3 attempts and now using a sheet of glass) and leaving the image exposing for long enough, I've tried following the booklet and dvd instructions and exposed for 9.5 mins and 10 mins (it said 9-10) and then I tried 10.5 and 11 mins (the booklet said 10-11).

Each time when I washed out the image the emulsion surrounding the image started to run when I washed it out.

I've gone from lukewarm water (what the dvd said) to cold water (what the booklet said) from a spray (what the dvd said) to a light flow (what people on here say).

So, firstly as you can see it's a tad confusion with the dvd and the booklet in the kit saying two different things, but I've got there nearly anyway.

And now I'm at the stage where I can wash out the image without any of the emulsion from the rest of the screen being washed out by the spray, but I still get some leakage of the emulsion on to the image I've just washed out.

Now matter how quick I am at getting a cloth/paper towel onto the screen the emulsion still seems to run.

I have managed to print one t-shirt using the image from the attempt where I didn't worry about the emulsion running on to the image, I rubbed/dabbed it with a paper towel and got most of it off, and the image looked fine mostly but where I couldn't dab off enough of the run emulsion the print was splodgy, so I reclaimed and started again.

Does anyone have an experience of using the diy kit from dave roper, it's the rayonet pink emulsion that I'm using as I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Mike
Hi Mike,

It can be frustrating when you first try screen printing!

I don't know how strong the bulb is in the kit but it must be quite low wattage if you have to expose for that long. I would stick to what it says in the instructions you have. It must be tried and tested.

It's usually best to coat 2:1 or 2:2 on your screens to start with using at the sharp side of the coater. Is it a dual cure emulsion (sensitiser added)?

You need to make sure your emulsion is bone dry before exposure. The use of a heater will help, but not too hot! I don't know how you're drying them, in a cabinet?

I haven't got much experience of exposing with light from above but as long as you have good contact between the film positive and the emulsion on screen it should work well for basic images. Some folks use a piece of foam on the inside of the screen to ensure film positive contact. It kind of pushes the mesh up a little bit.

After exposure, run water over the whole screen both sides and leave for around 1 min. Then spray with a jet wash or hose attachment with a bit of pressure both sides. Make sure the whole image is washed out and any underexposed emulsion is rinsed away off the screen. You should see the water running pretty much clear.

Put the screen back into the cabinet (some people like to put then in upright not horizontal) and dry with heat over night until bone dry again.

At this stage some people post harden the emulsion (we do this on most jobs). Put the screen back under the light for 10 mins with your light. This will make the stencil more durable. Then tape up and print.

I hope that helps a bit, have fun!

Old June 20th, 2015 Jun 20, 2015 4:03:31 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

A high solids content emulsion you can coat 1+1 or 1+2 using sharp side of scoop coater. Speed when coating also affects thickness. Dry screen horizontally print side down. Dry ambient room air and a light indirect fan it should dry fairly quickly (a few hours). When exposing make sure film and screen have good contact so the edges of your screen image are sharp.
Depending on how many lights and how strong it could take up to 15 minutes to properly expose your screen especially if your emulsion is perhaps on too thick.
Wet both sides of screen and wait 30 secs, wet again, give 30 secs, then gently spray out from both sides mostly from squeegee side. Run a very gentle cascade of water from the top to clear away any haze and let screen drip dry. Or, dry off frame with rags/towel and put screen in front of fan to dry.
The most common problems:
-Coated screens with too much emulsion
-Art film not making close enough contact with screen which causes the edges to be blurry and not wash out enough/too much
-Screen not burned hard enough so too much emulsion comes off
-Uneven light burns some parts of screen different than others

Sounds to me like you have a couple of these problems going on. Don't be afraid to burn your screen for a long time. Inexperienced screen coaters tend to coat slower and put more emulsion than necessary. So the compensation is to burn longer. If your art is opaque then it would take a lot to 'over burn' and not be able to wash it out. Your emulsion is definitely still too soft if you are getting a lot of haze in the image area (this is water runoff that had dissolved emulsion in it)

Last edited by artlife; June 20th, 2015 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: edit

Old June 20th, 2015 Jun 20, 2015 4:37:57 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replies. Pretty much what both of you have said I have thought about, so I'm simply just starting from step one again this morning and we'll see how it goes.

I think that we've got the emulsion part bang on (well I think so anyway lol) but it's just the exposure part, so we're going to be extra bang on with it tonight once the screen has dried.

From what you've both written I'd say that we haven't quite been washing out the image properly so that's the part I'm going to focus on tonight.

Will update once we've tried it!

Cheers

Mike

Old June 23rd, 2015 Jun 23, 2015 2:24:35 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Robin

Is it a black light u r using?

Old June 23rd, 2015 Jun 23, 2015 1:02:05 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Whoop, I've got the exposure and wash out right this time!!

I stuck to my original time of 9.5 mins exposure and then washed the image out with a cold light spray, plus I washed the whole screen until the water was running clear.

Once it was dry I did a few test prints (another thread is coming on this! lol) and then washed out the screen to see if the emulsion had set properly and voila, bang on!

Soooo glad to have finally got it right and I know trial and error is the key to screen printing, but it was getting bloody frustrating lol.

Hey ho, just need to put up a thread about printing now as I'm having issues with that lol

This is a discussion about Emulsion running after exposure that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in