[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - Hi everyone new uk user here- advice welcome! - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > United Kingdom
T-Shirt information for the UK

[GREAT BRITAIN - UK] - Hi everyone new uk user here- advice welcome!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 4:51:04 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: TVL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Hi everyone new uk user here- advice welcome!

Hi all,

I have a few questions id appreciate some help with if possible.

I am looking at printing both simple and complex designs, on all manner of clothing, all fitness themes.

The bets methods though are something id like help with.

I am presuming a printer with transfer paper would be the best option for simple text on tshirts, but am I right that the transfer paper, once printed on, would need cutting out otherwise you would print the entire page, whatever colour the paper may be, onto the garment?

For complex designs, say for instance, a large iage such as the US flag, I understand plastisol transers would be better. I don't really fancy ordering 100+ pages though to make it financially sensible, anything more sensible to produce a quality print? this would be on hooded tops etc.

For stuff like leggings, if I wanted lettering down the leg, I am presuming a vinyl cutter would be the best approach?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 5:21:50 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: phil
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Hi everyone new uk user here- advice welcome!

For simple text on shirts I would use vinyl, I only use transfers for complex full colour designs. I generally use laser print and self weeding paper for transfers. You can do some quite complex designs in vinyl also.

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 5:43:00 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

When you say laser print, do you mean a laser printer?

Self weeding paper? Is that easy to use?

I would use vinyl but the look I want, I think the printed way would be more suitable. I am just waiting on targettransfers for the heat press, them I am going to experiment

Thanks for your help btw.

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 5:50:50 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

yes I use an OKi C610 laser printer and Exactprint paper from Target Trans.

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 6:11:17 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hmmm I will defo check it out. Regarding the printer, I only have an inkjet, but could acquire an Epson laser printer that my work are getting rid of. Not sure of the model though.

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 1:01:30 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Scott

So you want to make t shirts using transfer paper?? dude invest a little bit and use vinyl, much better results plus its all cut for you, what transfer paper you gona use? cos some are good and some aint!! and the last thing you need is a t shirt to be done on **** paper and cracking and peeling after a few washes!!

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 5:48:22 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecustomkinguk
So you want to make t shirts using transfer paper?? dude invest a little bit and use vinyl, much better results plus its all cut for you, what transfer paper you gona use? cos some are good and some aint!! and the last thing you need is a t shirt to be done on **** paper and cracking and peeling after a few washes!!
This is the sort of effect I am going for;

Surely vinyl wouldn't get close to that?

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 6:37:50 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVL777
This is the sort of effect I am going for;

Surely vinyl wouldn't get close to that?
Two colour vinyl easy, you will not get the shadow on the arms but with sharper edges I think it will look more defined. Heres one I did in vinyl a while ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10351683_887242187969103_7503175514738713129_n.jpg (61.1 KB, 56 views)

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 7:07:54 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Man I am so confused!

I have some really simple designs for tshirts/vests, figured transfer printing them would suffice. Watched a lot of Martin butlers youtube videos and he says the quality of them is good.

Then I have a couple of larger pieces for hoodies, sweaters, that I really don't think will look good using vinyl. Plastisol would be the ideal, but it seems the UK market is a lot more expensive than the US one.

Then come all the costs involved.

Buying a heat press is costing 660, which I am about to buy.

I can use two diff printers, inkjet and laserjet free of charge, so I think itd make sense to test that route initially. If they turn out to be garbage then I have only lost the cost of the paper and a few cheap tshirts.

If they are indeed rubbish, then I will have to look at vinyl cutters and ordering plastisol transfers. Tbh I think the plastisols will happen anyway, I have found a company who can offer them at a good price, so ordering 50 or so will be ok.

All learning eh...

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 7:14:52 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Dude you brought a heat press for how much?? your willing to spend a ridiculas amount for an item that really you could of brought for £150, then the £400 could of brought you a nice vinyl cutter, i use both transfers and vinyl but im not soley doing tee's but use vinyl for them, but if your serious about doing tees, get a vinyl cutter it will save you A LOT of hassly trying to cut stuff out, Look around ebay and get some second hand kit then when the money comes in you can invest it and upgrade!! 660 for a heat press especially for transfers is way too much dude

Dive UK wheres the two colours in you design? have you layered it to get the sharp effect, just asking cos it looks good and wondering idf its hidden highlights

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 7:29:26 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Everything I have read about heat presses suggests avoiding the cheap crap as they always end up going wrong.

A top notch heat press is top of my list, will add more kit as and when the funds are available.

How do you find the transfer process for printing? Is the quality good? Do they last?

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 9:17:55 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Well what you hear and read take with a pinch of salt, there are people out there that dont like to see people come into the industry not paying as much as they did so give false advice, when i started i brought a heat press for £90 was about 5 years old a proper dinosaur, but i can still put it on now and it does the job, i would suggest 2nd hand off ebay and a recognised make, as they will be better then the chinese cheap ones, same with cutter, you can get i think its a graphtec, but the insides when you have to change parts etc are basically roland parts, so before you spend all that on one item have a look about, just saying mate. Printing with transfer paper aint the best but i use MDP and it is good, thats been the best company i have found, good prices too, it will last but its not self weeding, the magic touch dot co dot uk have self weeding transfer and i got a sample from them, again not the best but acceptable. With the vinyl cutter way you can get wicked results, you just need to get to grips with making registration marks and you layer it. But if you feel that transfers will work best for your products good luck and i hope it works out!! Just dont go one way cos you have read its the only way to go, cos generally its wrong!!

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 9:35:52 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Well what you hear and read take with a pinch of salt, there are people out there that dont like to see people come into the industry not paying as much as they did so give false advice, when i started i brought a heat press for £90 was about 5 years old a proper dinosaur, but i can still put it on now and it does the job, i would suggest 2nd hand off ebay and a recognised make, as they will be better then the chinese cheap ones, same with cutter, you can get i think its a graphtec, but the insides when you have to change parts etc are basically roland parts, so before you spend all that on one item have a look about, just saying mate. Printing with transfer paper aint the best but i use MDP and it is good, thats been the best company i have found, good prices too, it will last but its not self weeding, the magic touch dot co dot uk have self weeding transfer and i got a sample from them, again not the best but acceptable. With the vinyl cutter way you can get wicked results, you just need to get to grips with making registration marks and you layer it. But if you feel that transfers will work best for your products good luck and i hope it works out!! Just dont go one way cos you have read its the only way to go, cos generally its wrong!!
Everything you've said makes perfect sense, the only reason I am heading down the transfer paper route first is I have the printers to hand, so I am only having to pay for the transfer papers to try them out, that and a few cheap tshirts to test run on.

As for the heat press, too late I have a Stahls 40cmx50cm on route...

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 9:37:20 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
laserjet transfers for me is a no no, use epsom i think they are durabrite inks which wil work better and will reduce losing colours, i did laserjet once and it was shocking. This tee is done using a inkjet printer, just something to see how the colours and quality was
Im certainly going to give the Epson a try, I have a durabrite printer so will try them both and see which works best I guess.

Do you (or anyone else who uses transfer paper) use the self weeding ones?

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 11:20:21 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

nah ive never use self weeding as i said before try themagictouch dot co dot uk they gave me some sample tee's and one was self weeding it was alright but not good enough for me, i prefer to use dark transfer even on white cos you press it onto the tee instad of taking it off leaving the print just something you gotta make work for you which and how you do it, stahls is a good one still

This is a discussion about Hi everyone new uk user here- advice welcome! that was posted in the United Kingdom section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in