Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-ShirtForums Community > TSF iPhone and Android Apps
Discussion, tips, suggestions and feedback for the official TShirtForums iPhone App and Android App.

[TSF ANDROID APP QUESTION] Need to upgrade from Cricuit

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 1st, 2018 Jun 1, 2018 2:58:13 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Need to upgrade from Cricuit

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I have just started our t-shirt business and it has taken off! I used to make tshirts for fun and then was asked if I would sell them and it took off!

We're looking to upgrade from the Cricuit Explore to something that prints much quicker. We primarily use the Cricuit for HTV, stencils and regular vinyl.

Right now it seems like we spend hours cutting/layering/weeding. We're looking for recommendations on a entry level business grade cutting plotter.

As for software how technical it is, isnt an issue. My husband works in IT (systems) and will be able to figure anything out. Right now he's learning Illustrator and is picking it up pretty quickly. Considering he's a network engineer not a graphic designer.

Any advice on how to speed up the process or advice on machines would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Queen City Creative Works

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2018 Jun 1, 2018 3:32:27 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Using HTV means you are stuck with the weeding process. Another cutter won't necessarily cut any faster than your Cricut. Other options (and they all have their own quitks an limitations) are sublimation, screen printing, heat transfers such as JPSS, and plastisol transfers. I missed out DTG because it is very expensive and troublesome unless you print in quantity every day.

If you have regular, standardised designs, then have a look at plastisol transfers. All you need is a press (which you already have!).

Old June 1st, 2018 Jun 1, 2018 6:36:47 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Default Re: Need to upgrade from Cricuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityCustom
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I have just started our t-shirt business and it has taken off! I used to make tshirts for fun and then was asked if I would sell them and it took off!

We're looking to upgrade from the Cricuit Explore to something that prints much quicker. We primarily use the Cricuit for HTV, stencils and regular vinyl.

Right now it seems like we spend hours cutting/layering/weeding. We're looking for recommendations on a entry level business grade cutting plotter.

As for software how technical it is, isnt an issue. My husband works in IT (systems) and will be able to figure anything out. Right now he's learning Illustrator and is picking it up pretty quickly. Considering he's a network engineer not a graphic designer.

Any advice on how to speed up the process or advice on machines would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Queen City Creative Works

If your only doing htv or similar The cricut cutter is limited and sometimes the cuts are perfect or not.I used to have one but it will do the job for what you need ,Sorta lol....

The only big thing your going to gain by a different cutter is being able to cut wider and longer things and No Cutting mat when you cut material. I hated the cutting mats when i had one before upgrading ( Thank god I did ) , Your budget will determine on the cutter you get and the quality as well. I have a titan 2 28" from uscutter and its a beast for everything i do. Very quiet and accurate.

There is low end cutters and middle grade and high end, My titan is right in the middle . The low end cutters can have static issues and the high end cutters can do a lot more like window tint. But since i dont do tint i didnt need it. and i definitely didnt want static issues which can fry the motherboard..

Im not trying to sell you a brand etc Just my own opinion and research i did when i upgraded. And everyone will have their own opinion as well . So it will be up to you to decide. Just decide smart.

I will say i do not print and cut .I only do single color and layered decals and htv on clothing and for this its perfect. So it falls on whats your budget.

I love Ai cc and taught my self what i know but i also use SCALPS4PRo software and the 2 are just amazing to me . Been using both for 3 years. I do have Corel Draw X7 ( I dont like it) and Vinyl master ( i Dont like it ) I Love my Ai and Scalps.

Where are you located ? I can give you tons of advice or help for free if you have questions . Send me a Pm if you want. Up to you..

Old June 2nd, 2018 Jun 2, 2018 7:59:56 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you for the input! I'm located in Buffalo, NY.
I checked out the Titan pro, it definitely looks like a solid machine but it's just a little out of my price range. Ideally $500-600 would be the highest we can go at the moment. What are your thoughts on the Uscutter MH series or the SC2 machines?

Old June 5th, 2018 Jun 5, 2018 3:38:22 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Quote:
I checked out the Titan pro, it definitely looks like a solid machine but it's just a little out of my price range. Ideally $500-600 would be the highest we can go at the moment. What are your thoughts on the Uscutter MH series or the SC2 machines?

They do post once in awhile reurb titan 2 which carry the same warranty as a new cutter which is funny. But they usually have them for around 600 sometimes lol.

As for the MH they are hit and miss. They tend to have static issues and plus static issues when you walk across the floor and touch your cutter can fry the boards etc from what ive heard a lot about. The sc2 is supposed to be a good cutter but still heard some bad stories with it also. I think it comes down to hit and miss with the lower end cutters and plus the lower end cutters will be a stepper motor and not servo. Servo is much quieter and more smooth of cuts. So if all you can afford is a lower cutter just choose wisely and pick the better model in that category . contact uscutter ( if you go thru them) and they will explain over the phone which will be better. Any more questions let me know . And choose your software wisely also .Each software will be harder or easier to learn as well and on what they can do or what you want it to do..

Old June 6th, 2018 Jun 6, 2018 3:26:09 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Use your current plotter till you save up more money and by one that you wont need to replace for 10+ years like a Graphtec (or a Roland, but I prefer graphtec for standalone plotters). Don't think about current needs, think about what your needs will be a year or so from now.

If you dont want to wait then look for a used graphtec in your price range.
You will never regret buying a good quality plotter.
Also a good plotter set up correctly will cut MUCH faster then what your using currently.

This is a discussion about Need to upgrade from Cricuit that was posted in the TSF iPhone and Android Apps section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in