T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am currently planning to setup a small scale custom-designed shirts business and was wondering if the YUDU is a good equipment for it. Thanks and Cheers!

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
By custom design do you mean one-off's? The Yudu would not be cost effective if you are only doing one or two shirts of each design. The cost of creating new screens each time gets expensive.

Otherwise, search the forum at the top of this page. There are many using it in their small business.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree for the hobbist it's ok. I have one and it is back in the box. The emulsion from yudo is expensive. We went the liquid route to save money. And it was a better image For teaching kids or someone who wants to learn this might be ok but still expensive in the short and long run. Good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought a yudu for my daughter for her 10th bday and honestly it's the worst.. The mesh is so loose the image bleeds on the second pass.. Honest it was a waste of money my daughter made 4 shirts with it and that is all.. I know ryonet is supposed to be making 20+ newton screens for the yudu but I haven't seen them posted... Maybe if we had one of the ryonet screens things would be different .. We also ordered the scoop coated from ryonet and use dual cure emulsion.......

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I have a yudo machine and have produced shirts from it. I started out just printing some racing shirt just for my husband and I but everyone seems to want me to make shirts now. I am currently looking for bigger equipement so I can produce a great quailty design. The only thing I have against the yudo us that the screens are not side enough for a full design on a shirt. When you burn your screen it needs to be a good inch from the sides of the frame because if not your going to have a hard time getting the ink even. (hope this makes sense). I have made my money back with my machine.

Kim

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Yudu and have regretted it ever since.

I was never able to get the "film" emulsion applied. It just never worked right.. Ended up using Speedball products to get a good emulsion on it. Have made a bunch of shirts but I also am using speedball screens and products for all of it. I still have the yudu screen but we reach for the speedball one first.

My daughter is wanting to start her own business (shes 16) making and designing t-shirts. She is going to use the Yudo to make a few and if they start to sell, we will buy a 4 color 2 station unit if we can find one cheaply.

If it were me, an adult with some reasonable means behind any business idea, I would start day 1 with a 4 color 4 station unit and go from there.. but I dont know that much, hence why I am here now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a Yudu and have regretted it ever since.

I was never able to get the "film" emulsion applied. It just never worked right.. Ended up using Speedball products to get a good emulsion on it. Have made a bunch of shirts but I also am using speedball screens and products for all of it. I still have the yudu screen but we reach for the speedball one first.

My daughter is wanting to start her own business (shes 16) making and designing t-shirts. She is going to use the Yudo to make a few and if they start to sell, we will buy a 4 color 2 station unit if we can find one cheaply.

If it were me, an adult with some reasonable means behind any business idea, I would start day 1 with a 4 color 4 station unit and go from there.. but I dont know that much, hence why I am here now.
I started out of my parents garage when I was 17 with a press I made out of garbage and hinge/clamps I had welded at the tech school I attended. I brought ink home in containers I could find including a plant container from the shop I worked at and printed shirts at night. My parents would unknowingly go into my bathroom flip the light on and expose my screens.

I would just get a good inexpensive 1 color press and package and go from their. Its easy to build a home made vacuum exposure unit. Their are of a lot of videos and beginner packages and books out now.
Ryonet has some good startup packages for cheap. Walk before you run and learn the basics and keep it fun and creative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip guys! Really helpful. So i guess the yudu's a no-no. Now i've got to find something i could use to print lots of shirts. Im also planning to put up my own shirt business with my own designs like some of you guys. Any suggestions on the right equipment?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Catalog | Performance Screen Supply
I searched on here and found this place. It seems pretty good.. Dont know anything about them though.

The catalog shows some table top units at affordable prices. I am going to speak to the owner and read more forums posts here to get an idea of what I need as a decent starter kit.
For anyone who have ever printed shirts, the pictures alone tells the story . . and it is a bedtime story. You can print limited type of artwork in single color, on limited size shirts, and in small volume. It is simply not geared for any serious commercial use. I doubt that even active printing hobbyist will appreciate it.

I also did some searching several months ago but the information I got is not favorable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts