T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've seen a new heat press that's going quite cheap, but I don't know anything about what to look for, so I thought I'd ask you lot! it doesn't look like it's a name brand, will this be a problem with parts etc? It's described as...

A4 SIZE .
GERMAN TECHNOLOGY HEATER AND TEMP CONTROL..
UP TO 230/450F HEAT PLATE TEMPERATURE.
HIGH QUALITY OVERSIZED PANEL TYPE HEATING ELEMENT.
HEATER INDICATOR..
SILLICON PAD INCLUDED..
SPARES AVAILABLE..

What do you think? Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rodney said:
I don't think you should look for "cheap" when looking for a heatpress :)
Sucker #1 here! I did it and regret it. Get a name brand, recommended press. Do research! This place is THE BEST as far as asking questions and getting info. I have been clogging it up with inane questions, myself. One thing you can also keep in mind: A brand name press will hold its value if you decide to upgrade, you can sell the old one. No name and crappy ones like mine...you LOSE! No one will want it. How much is this press you are thinking of getting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's around £200. The problem is (I think most of you guys are in the US?) it's really hard to get t-shirt making stuff here, presses, paper etc, we're very limited.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Doby, I don't think you asked any inane questions. I just wished you had asked the questions sooner, especially about the press you bought. But you know what. I did the same thing. I bought a small press and it got me a lot of business though and now my new press will be here Tuesday and I have 160 client tees sitting here that paid for it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
badalou said:
Doby, I don't think you asked any inane questions. I just wished you had asked the questions sooner, especially about the press you bought. But you know what. I did the same thing. I bought a small press and it got me a lot of business though and now my new press will be here Tuesday and I have 160 client tees sitting here that paid for it.
Thanks so much for the encouragement! :) I bought that thing impulsivly and learned my lesson! I'm usually not that dense! Don't make that mistake! Buy a real press! Surely someone ships internationally?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Doby said:
Surely someone ships internationally?
Probably (it's a nightmare trying to get blanks shipped internationally, but I've normally found equipment much easier), but it would likely cost a fortune, so local is best whenever possible.

£200 is a lot if the press turns out to be crap though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, with international shipping in the price, it's almost as much as buying in the UK. I haven't got enough money at the mo to buy a top price heat press, so I was hoping to get a cheap one for a bit, while I save up for a really good one. At the moment my choices really are to keep using an iron (and I know what people on here will say to that!!) or get a cheap one for a while. I'm thinking I might hold off on this one though, and try and get a brand name one second hand, is that a better plan? Thanks everyone for your help, great as always!!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I have a friend in the UK that does heat press, I'll see where he got his equipment.

edit: I actually found a couple of sources in the UK, but their "budget" press starts at £699 which seems over your current budget.

I guess you could just save up to get the quality press. If that's the direction you're going for your t-shirts, seems like a good investment in your business.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that's what I'll do, I just thought maybe using even a rubbish press would be better than an iron, but if it falls to pieces I'm in trouble!
It comes with a free "check up" after a year, but those things often have a catch!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, too, Rodney. Thing is, I know from trying to get hifi components shipped direct from manufacturer in the States to Aust that a lot of companies just won't do it, especially if they have a distributor here (understandable, I suppose, since in a sense they would be undercutting their own distributor). Still, worth a query to Hix.

Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ella, I know it's a tough spot. Do you spend what money you do have on a lesser press or hold out and save for a better quality machine.
I elected to hold out. I watched Ebay for a couple of months, until I found and purchased a used HT400. When it did come up I hit the "Buy Now" because it was what I wanted and cheaper than a new one. I have been very happy that I waited.
Whichever way you go, I hope the best for you.
Darrell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts