T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you get your first sales? Was it for one item or more? I know some of you would have to dig in your memory banks for this one. I have yet to sell something. I have been making gifts and everyone loves them but have yet to jump from giveaways to money in my pocket.:)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Question? did you ever operate a lemonade stand when you were a kid.. If you did then you made your first sale a long time ago. When you ask on this board how did you make your first sale then you have to consider different things. sale of what.. retail? wholesale? cafepress, website? Shirts, totes.. it isn't about that. It is your plan that counts. how anyone here made their first sale is irrelevant to you. Everything is different for each of us and the way we go about it is different. The question should be.. I am selling to.. Who? and would like to know if anyone who has sold to.. who? what was your approach.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll let you know Monday. We're setting up our first booth this weekend. We're supposed to be at "Tour de Donut" and rib cook off Fri and Sat. We're also going to try to set up at a carshow Sun. I just ordered my first shirts today. I'll pick them up tomorrow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I honestly can't remember but I often start new websites and they are all boosted with a spurt of Google Adwords or alike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question was not meant to offend anyone. I am not new to selling I was a street vendor in NYC for years in the snow, rain and hot burning sun.
I sold jewelry and t-shirts already made up and different items along that line. It is different when you go out, set up a table and people come over to you if they see something they like, but it is much different if you have to approach someone and try to push what you are selling on them. The question is meant to get advice on how people go about getting over the fear of rejection.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi Ana,

Fear of rejection is normal. After all, we all want to be liked, it's human nature.

I am a superintendent in commercial construction, my first real sale was made to one of my subs. I have my website in the back window of my truck, 3 inches tall by 4 feet across red lettering. He asked me a question one day about my site. I suggested he stop in and sign our guestbook and check out my new t-shirts. He asked who I had make our shirts and I told him I made them to order. He asked if I could design a shirt for his cleaning company for him to look at. I got a small amount of input from him as to his wants, went home and designed and pressed a sample that night. He placed an order for 5o shirts. Two days after I delivered his order he called and asked for 40 more,the next day he called and upped the order to 70 shirts. Just this one little conversation lead to almost enough profits to pay for my press.

The moral of the story is: Just be yourself, talk to folks like you have known them all your life. DO NOT try to push merchandise as it will be noticed right off the bat. The best way to sell to a client is not to sell to the client. Most folks know when the pitch is hitting them in the face. Present your ideas listen to the clients ideas find a solution for them and it will sell itself 9 times out of 10. Most of all remember you can not take rejection to heart, if you do it will stop you from moving on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes Lou I got your design, very cool. I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for, I'll have to run it by the guy that owns the Rt. 66 shop.

Star you must be a woman, If you were a guy you'd be used to rejection.:D

All I can say is try and if you get turned down, don't let that stop you. Just try and learn what you can do to improve your chances the next time. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts