T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I know these are the TSHIRT forums, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how those corrugated plastic boards are printed. I heard they could be screened. Is this commonly with a regular screen printing press, or something larger or more suited to sign printing?
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am not sure about screen printing them, typically we use decal vinyl and mount it to the sign.... I would be curious if it can be done with screen printing though!

·
Registered
828 Posts
it can definitely be screen printed.. you need to use waterbased ink. It's a very fast aggressive way to do it, but it works.
Many silk screen suppliers sell vacuum pallets for holding down the plastic sheets while you screen them.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
it can definitely be screen printed.. you need to use waterbased ink.
Never heard of using a water based ink on plastic. I imagine it's possible with the right chemistry. Someone told me recently they heard about a water based ink that could print on various substrates, it could be the same company.

The vast majority of people will use a conventional ink. It's a solvent based air drying ink. The most commonly used is Nazdar's Corogloss. It's very aggressive and has a harsh odor. You would need extremely good ventilation if you decided to attempt to print using these inks.

You have to work quickly too because it will dry in your screen.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Never heard of using a water based ink on plastic. I imagine it's possible with the right chemistry. Someone told me recently they heard about a water based ink that could print on various substrates, it could be the same company.

The vast majority of people will use a conventional ink. It's a solvent based air drying ink. The most commonly used is Nazdar's Corogloss. It's very aggressive and has a harsh odor. You would need extremely good ventilation if you decided to attempt to print using these inks.

You have to work quickly too because it will dry in your screen.

Ah I hear ya. I assumed with it being air drying that it was waterbased.. my bad.. Not something I want to try anyway.. thx for the info. I stand corrected :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rob,
I print yard signs for our local Fish Fry every year.
I got a large screen and I just use regular oil base paint.

The "paint" is much less expensive than the solvent base inks, it's easy to work with and easy cleanup. It really sticks to the sign too.

There is a little learning curve, but once you get a little practice, it is actually quite easy to do.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The screen I use is a 23 x 31 inch outside measurement
and it works great for yard signs.

a 160 mesh is good too

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I print with Nazdar ink every week and the prints come out great. Just make sure you only put enough ink to last 5-10 mins...use a high mesh (I use 195)... and don't freak if start to have spots dry in your screen. All you have to do is put in a little more ink and make a big flood stroke so that you cannot see the design (dont press hard) wait 15-20 seconds and that should clear it all out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts