T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering bending over and taking it from Yahoo for a directory listing. Can anyone either support or condemn this notion?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have sites in there already but I didn't pay for them. I bought a domain name that was already listed :) I can't say I get much traffic from the directory itself so I haven't listed my other sites there. There is the argument that it will boost your ranking in Google/Yahoo if you are listed there though.

Personally I would spend the time and money building content, optimising, and getting more pages indexed by Google and Yahoo, before spending money to submit to Y! Directory.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I have a few sites in the Yahoo!Directory, most of them were submitted before they started charging.

A couple of them I submitted after they started charging.

I do think it can benefit a site by being in the Yahoo! directory. I don't think it needs to be the first thing in your advertising budget, but it can help your search engine efforts if you have the money for it. It's definitely not as much of a must have as it was say 5 years ago.

I still get a good number of visitors that come from browing the directory listings, and I think it has helped my position in related Yahoo searches.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just a side note, I got one of Yahoo-geocities website about six months ago, there was an option to list your site in their directory, not sure it is the same one as it lists their sites only, didn't see any results from that and I've since deleted the website. But I'd had an idea to do some side advertising from it. They have a stationary ad sidebar now that I found rather awkward, their drop-down and release ad banner was much easier to work around when designing a site.

Marie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Update, I just discoveded that I am in the main yahoo directory, no idea how I got there but I got a couple of hits from there within tha last few days. Looks like when you have one of their yahoo-geocities webpages and list in that directory it gets picked up through their main directory. You could always try that, it's free.

Marie

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Update, I just discoveded that I am in the main yahoo directory, no idea how I got there
Marie, are you talking about the actual Yahoo directory or just the search results when you search at Yahoo.com?

One is a spidered search result (free) and one is a manual directory listing within a specific category at Yahoo (once free, but now paid only).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts