T-Shirt Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,203 Posts
sarafina said:
Hey Solmu, do you have a website? You seem to know alot about functional web development, i'd love to take a look at yours if you don't mind.
My website's not live yet (and at the rate development has been going, won't be for quite a while :(). When it is it probably won't be unusually good anyway - I'm sure it'll be decent, but not special.

The things I was pointing out on the website that started this thread were really basic mistakes - even most badly designed sites don't make all of them at once.

It's a lot easier to find the faults in something than to make it work (which doesn't excuse atrocious design). I'm very good at analysing, but unfortunately not as good at designing. When my website goes live I'm sure it won't be riddled with the same flaws, but I'm hoping people will like my content rather than my site.

If you can develop a really great looking website that is useful, and it will help your sales. The main thing though is just to avoid the pitfalls and traps (like slow loading times and ugly colour schemes).

Take a look at T-shirt Hell for example. If you actually stop and think about their website it's really not very well designed. It's not attractive, it's not cool, it's not sleek, most of the site loads on one page.

But what does it do well? It has a lot of content (that's the most important thing), a lot of options on that content, reasonable load times, clear branding, a reasonable colour scheme, clear labelling, a detailed and professional faq, etc. It's cohesive.

They put their product right up front. They don't do it in a way that is particularly good or bad, but they allow the shirts to sell themselves. I think they're proof you don't need great site design, just make sure your website doesn't look like total a**.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.