T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am completely new to the world of screenprinting, bought a Speedball kit on a whim:p, and am trying out exposing my screen.

The booklet that comes with the set recommends a 45 minute exposure time with a 150 watt clear incandescent bulb, 12 inches above the screen. Unfortunately, this seemed to be way too long because nothing would come out of the screen during washing.

I halved the time, exposed for roughly 25 minutes, and some of the unexposed areas seems to lighten and wash off a bit, but there was still a heavy amount of emulsion that stayed in the unexposed areas.

I am slightly discouraged that the exposure times in the book are waaay off what I seem to be experiencing at home. Should I expose for less time?

And, a similar question, how must I wash the emulsion out? I'm using a faucet that pours water out as fast as possible over it, but perhaps something much stronger is needed? (like a garden hose?)

Sorry for the long post!:eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Getting a spray nozzle for your hose is a must, but you should also wet the exposed screen and let it sit for a minute or two before spraying out. The water will break down the unexposed emulsion and allow for an easier spray-out - don't let it sit in the sun while soaking, though - you don't want to expose the unexposed part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts