T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

with regards to using celebs and famous characters on tees would it be unlawful to use a design that wasn't and actual picture of the character but my own artwork of it like this design I did

Yoda T-shirt Active shirt Clothing Product

Glenboy

· Registered
105 Posts
But does it matter?.....Will people actually buy something like that?...
Shirts like this seem to sell more often than motivational shirts. But that is just my own observation.

I would say that you just keep a little cash aside to give to 'ol george lucas just in case. I don't really think he is going to come after you but you never really know.

· Registered
124 Posts
i agree with louis2010, You had nothing to do with the creation or marketing to your customers just piggy backing off another person. Now some people don't care. I do. Even though you will NEVER make a dent in effecting the star wars profit. I, as a artist think its stealing and what if you had a great design that you made your living off of cause it the only shirt that was selling and you were selling 300 or 400 a month. and someone started copying it and selling it for $5 less and now your sales when from 300 or 400 to 100 to 200 and now you cant feed your wife and kid. How would you feel about them stealing your design ???? sorry to be blunt. Make one for yourself and just be proud to have it and show it off.

· Registered
105 Posts
i agree with louis2010, You had nothing to do with the creation or marketing to your customers just piggy backing off another person. Now some people don't care. I do. Even though you will NEVER make a dent in effecting the star wars profit. I, as a artist think its stealing and what if you had a great design that you made your living off of cause it the only shirt that was selling and you were selling 300 or 400 a month. and someone started copying it and selling it for $5 less and now your sales when from 300 or 400 to 100 to 200 and now you cant feed your wife and kid. How would you feel about them stealing your design ???? sorry to be blunt. Make one for yourself and just be proud to have it and show it off.
They call them parodies for a reason. A star wars fan that lives and breaths star wars wouldn't wear this. But the guy who loves parodies would buy it and not the real star wars stuff. Its two different arenas completely IMO.

· Registered
124 Posts
I agree full with what you said but I answered the question asked. not who would wear the shirt. unless you get approve to yoda then the shirt is illegal. And at that point you would be Piggy backing off the star wars. getting permission to use that likeness is part of the process and its probably the hardest part in making parodies because your asking to make fun of the movie. But it is the difference between legal and illegal when it comes to making money

· Registered
6,595 Posts
getting permission to use that likeness is part of the process and its probably the hardest part in making parodies because your asking to make fun of the movie.
Just to clarify...
If you get permission to use intellectual property, that is known as licensing. And you would need to abide by the Identity Assurance that is part of the licensing agreement. Which means, you probably wouldn't be creating parodies. You would be creating officially licensed merchandise.

If you want to create a parody, you don't need permission. You take the risk, and if you get sued, you go to court and plead your case. Then the judge decides who wins.

· Registered
124 Posts
Thank you kimura-mma. you can ask for permission to use it in a parody. I know a Person that has a contract stating they can use the likeness that way in the ONE design they approved. It prevents him getting sued later. While you don't "need" permission, the fact that you can be sued and lose and be awarded to pay is close enough to being illegal as it gets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.