T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some businesses adopt the ice cream truck strategy: They go wherever the people are.
I've seen such mobile stores selling specialty candy, mattresses...I've even seen a mobile hair salon.

As anyone tried it? Would it work?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
There are people who travel around and sell t-shirts already, they usually stay in one place for a few days. I have seen people in vans selling shirts at concerts, fairs, festivals, flea markets, etc. As for driving around one local area, I just don't know.

Mattresses?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm speaking of an ice cream truck kind of thing, but with t-shirts. Possibly with a regular route.

Mattresses?
Yes, mattresses.
It was more like a mobile showroom. You make your selection and they ship it to you later.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would think it would work at a flea market or event. Take orders and ship but to have a route you traveled every week? With gas prices what they are I don't know. If you went to small towns that don't have a store / supplier maybe. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've seen some businesses adopt the ice cream truck strategy: They go wherever the people are.

I think that it would work , but you may need to find you a place to set up where the people can find you. I would consider being close to the mall area where people generally look for the merchadise that your selling. If you get the word out, I don't see why people wouldn't stop by to see you. With all that said, there are a few things you may want to consider. 1. Storage of the vehicle after hours. Gas is a issue, but if you go to one place and park it's just like anyone else going to work everyday. 3. weather! If it rains, for an outside business, it pours... These are just a few, but I think it can be done!!!
Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't believe the mobile part of your strategy would work well, I feel "semi-mobile" or perhaps "nomadic" is a better term to use for what I think works well. Last year I had very little luck going to single day events, but had huge success for multi day events. This year my products are more well known in my area and I just tried another one day venue and it was a hit. I was still stationary for the day, and I did set up an outdoor shop under my RV's awning. It did not have a very mobile Ice Cream truck feel to it in any way. I made most of the money before 1pm and by 3pm it was quiet but I had made over $500 (with product out the door) and gained a new "club" contract for year end awards. I also earned about $100 in "orders". It was a great revenue day. I had my doubts. So, perhaps as word gets out about your brand, a more truly mobile model could work. I also did NOT have power in this location, thus could not make anything for people. It made people dig deeper and search harder to find something to buy off my shelves. It was very interesting.

Reactions: amelingui
1 - 9 of 9 Posts