T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed Stahls makes custom platens. I wonder what they cost.

Given the number of people out there using 13x19 printers for Sublimation...

a 12.75 x 18.75 sized platen would make a lot of sense.

Maybe a 1/4 inch is cutting it too tight, what size do you think would work?

JM

· Registered
508 Posts
Do custom platens make sense?
One must consider if the custom platen improves efficiency or opens the door to new business?
How many garments must be sold to break even on a $300 platen?
Is the productivity gains sustainable?

Now, some printer companies have custom platens as high as $2,500? How many high top canvas sneakers need to be sold to break even?
But there is more than one reason to buy a custom platen.
If those 'hightop' sneakers are the BILLBOARD that draws the greatest local attention to the custom garments shop, It may well prove more profitable than Google and Facebook ads.

If you don't have a 30 print project on the books for that $300 custom platen, it may prove to be optimistic investment.

· Registered
859 Posts
Couldn't you just buy a new pad for the bottom of your press and trim it to the size you want and then stick it to (in the center) some aluminum sheet 20" so you can easily center it as well as use a couple pieces of tape to tape it to your lower platen. You could also do this for other sizes you might want. This should be much cheaper. and easy to store. You could even round the edges if you so choose.

To be clear the reason for the aluminum is to give a space to use tape on, to attach to your lower platen without putting tape marks in your shirt.

· Administrator
18,948 Posts
I assume you're trying to get rid of the paper lines? I like Amw's idea better. Cheaper. Can have other sizes for different size papers you might use. Lighter, easier to store.

I wouldn't even tape it down. It will be heavy enough where it wont move while you're pressing.

· Registered
859 Posts
I assume you're trying to get rid of the paper lines? I like Amw's idea better. Cheaper. Can have other sizes for different size papers you might use. Lighter, easier to store.

I wouldn't even tape it down. It will be heavy enough where it wont move while you're pressing.
You only really need to tape it down if you have a Teflon sheet taped to your bottom platen and do not want to remove it. It will slide on Teflon.
Also if your doing a large run the tape just keeps it exactly where you put it while loading shirts onto the press. Which can help speed up production.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.