T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been doing dye sublimation for the past few months.
There is a slight odor when doing "the process".

I just got done doing about 150 license plates for a customer, but I haven't noticed any issues.

I just got done doing about 150 license plates for a customer, but I haven't noticed any issues.

uhhhhhh... my head is spinning.
hahahah... i know this is a few years old...but i got a good chuckle out of it :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of my heat press machine operators just died from lung cancer...just kidding. Just keep your working area well ventilated with a little help from one or two exhaust fan depending on your working space.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The MSDS sheets can be interesting. Some of the Chem.'s in my shop that smell the most toxic and make me feel the worst when ventilation isn't ideal, aren't as bad for me in the long run, as ones that hardly smell at all. (according to the MSDS's) Good ventilation is always important, It's kinda hard when it 20 degrees outside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wear one and when my beard grows to much my throat gets sore and inflamed my chest gets tight then I get sick. Sucks for me, that stuff is no joke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been thinking about starting a sublimation business but I am very worried about breathing in any fumes that are produced from the process.

I've heard that when you make mouse pads it stinks really badly, and I have to imagine that at 400 degrees, you are vaporizing dyes. That can't be healthy for you.

Not to go all biological on you but the way that your noes works is that you smell because little tiny particles are going inside of your nose, and that's how you smell it.

It doesn't bother me when those tiny particles are a good steak or some chocolate but when it's melting dye or rubber I'll start to get concerned.

Am I making a big thing out of nothing? What's the deal with the fumes?
Get in the habit of wearing a mask for the fumes and have good ventilation. I have been sublimating for approximately 10 years and the fumes never really bothered me until now. The fumes seem stronger to me. I have been told I have pulmonary nodules (with an s) on my lungs (I don't smoke). I sublimate on metal, fabric, and ceramic. I now open all windows, use a fan, and I try to wear a mask.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So then is the general consunsus that most people who use dye sublimation are not worried about any odors produced during the process?

Is anyone using a respirator or mask when doing this?
I wear a respirator now after 10 years of this work. I started coughing when pressing and when hot cutting my poly webbing, that turned into chronic bronchitis over 10 years. The hot cutting the poly is way worse than the fumes from the ink, but I just protect my lungs from everything now.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts