T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to introduce myself with a very interesting story. To make it short. I have gotten into silkscreening as a career change at 42. I was a profession bartender for most of my life but a year ago i was attacked by a marine while working. Oddly enough he wound up eating my arm. No not literally but he did partake of my flesh and wound up knocking me out and kicking in my head. This left me, well you can imagine. Been on work comp for over a year which is another mess in itself. I financed a silk screen business because i thought it would be lower stress. HAHA so much to know not enough time in day to do it.. Welcome to silkscreening. Im in San Diego north county. Aloha

· Registered
223 Posts
Hi, and welcome Deweysilkscreen. I, too, got into the business, in 2005, at about 52 years of age. I bought an operating screenprint and embroidery shop. Wow...I was off to the races! Things went well for a couple years...I had a full time digitizer/embroiderer/manager that basically ran the business for me. My Son and I did the screenprinting. Well, along came 2009-10-11, and business was never the same. We have downsized to just screening, with 4 Tajimas collecting dust!

My advise? Learn all you can, befriend your competitors and learn all you can from them, and NEVER let your guard down! Don't undercut pricing just to get a job....it could be costly to you. Also....don't try to tackle jobs above your skill level. That can be very costly if you don't come through with a quality product.

Good luck.

(I also have run, since 1988, a carpet cleaning business, which can keep things going in tight times. I also retired from GM with 31 years of service, which also helps out with all the expenses.)

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response and advice. Much appreciated. Yea ive sold the farm so to speak to get into this. Hard to tell if i cut my stress levels or increased them. LOL Trucking along though. What i really need is 30 hours in a day and 6 hands. But making do with what i got. Thank again. DEWEY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.