T-Shirt Forums banner

Wooden screen or aluminum?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Solmu 
#1 ·
Is there a difference of quality? I have like 4 wooden ones, but locally they sell the aluminum screens for a few bucks cheaper. So what's the difference, if any, and what do you use?

#2 ·
Aluminium is normally lighter (which is generally neither here nor there), lasts longer (won't warp), easier to clean (non-porous, so ink is easier to wipe off), and costs a little more.

From my supplier aluminium is about 15-20% more expensive than cedar in standard sizes (i.e. the kind of thing you'd use for t-shirt printing), but cheaper in very large screens (not relevant for most people on these forums).

Personally I prefer aluminium - the price difference isn't significant (especially for such a re-useable piece of equipment) and they're more pleasant to work with.

I use both though - there's nothing wrong with wooden screens (assuming they're a high quality wood and well joined). Next time you need a screen I'd recommend you try aluminium and decide for yourself - it's at least worth trying.

Screens are very much a matter of use what you've got though - they're not worth replacing until they actually physically require it. Most of the screens I use are wood, because that's what's there, but the new screens I buy will be aluminium.

#12 ·
so far I've only been doing one color shirts, and i think two of my woodscreens are already warped, but they dont seem to affect the printing. they just aren't level when I lay it down flat. I'll be converting to aluminum as soon as i can anyway, so no worries. thanks for everyone's input.

#13 ·
A little bit of warping may not have any real effect on a one colour print. If you're registering a multi-colour print, obviously it's potentially a much bigger deal. Also, they can eventually get extremely warped - to the point where they don't even lay flat enough to do a one colour print, because you can't get even ink coverage across the mesh. But as you've noticed, a little bit of warping doesn't necessarily mean you have to immediately discard the screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.