T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been researching for days--okay, months--and I just have to vent: WHY ARE THE T-SHIRT COLORS FOR WOMEN SO UGLY?! Men get all these gorgeous colors, and women get pink. I was just drooling over the selection at Authentic Pigment, and even liked the cut of the shirts (though the prices are higher than I'm used to), and just when I thought I had found my one true love, women's blanks-wise, I saw the list of available colors. Yes, there are a handful of lovely colors, but the rest are the usual sickeningly sweet/garishly "feminine" colors that I apparently love but just don't realize it. Where is Mallard?? Blue Grass?? I don't get Western Sky?? I don't get Cilantro, or Buck?? Come on, Authentic Pigment! Do you want to be like all the others?? DO YOU??

I DEMAND MALLARD!

Grrrrrrrr.:mad:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Have you looked at Alternative Apparel, Bare Apparel, Kavio, Next Level, Alstyle and Continental?

You could have shirts made to your specs (one of the specs being your colors) by companies like Simply Cotton and So Cal Blanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at Alternative Apparel, Bare Apparel, Kavio, Next Level, Alstyle and Continental?

You could have shirts made to your specs (one of the specs being your colors) by companies like Simply Cotton and So Cal Blanks.
Alternative has some decent colors, but the model shots are so repulsive, I can't stand to look at the merchandise. They make American Apparel look like a church youth group! I didn't think it was possible to be sleazier than AA.

Most of those brands are new to me, looking forward to checking them out! :)

I love the idea of shirts made to my specs--sounds kind of expensive, though. Again, I'm excited to check out your suggestions. Thank you!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You choosing shirts based on models or on colors you need?
On fit and colors. I really want colors like Authentic Pigment makes; rich without being "bright", soft without being too washed out. The AA colors I saw struck me as a little too "urban" and muddy, almost a little bit depressing, maybe. (In fact, they're the colors I would most likely choose for myself, since I have a very fair complexion and strong colors wash me out.)

Wait--is AA Alternative Apparel or American Apparel? Well, anyway, the Alternative Apparel shots were the ones that turned me off. And those models are *not* built like my typical customer, so the photos tell me very little about the fit. I certainly don't choose shirts based on "attitude".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Randi, you might be surprised that it is not nearly as expensive as you might think to have shirts made to your specs. It is not as cheap as buying pre-made blanks, but it is not a whole lot more if you need a few hundred pieces. Plus they then have your neck lables in them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randi, you might be surprised that it is not nearly as expensive as you might think to have shirts made to your specs. It is not as cheap as buying pre-made blanks, but it is not a whole lot more if you need a few hundred pieces. Plus they then have your neck lables in them.
I definitely see the value in spending a bit more to get just the right thing, especially in terms of marrying shirt color with ink/art color. I think this could be a smart way to go in the near future, once I get my shop set up. (We are transitioning from transfers into also doing screenprinted pieces) Supplying printing for local customers will hopefully give us a bit of extra income for fancier-colored stuff. I like that neck label idea! :)

I hope I don't sound like some picky, whiny customer-from-hell--I just happen to love color. I think about it all day long. I suspect it is as important to most other people as it is to me, even if they're not aware of its impact. That said, I can't explain why my brother only wears two colors--light blue or white--and refuses to consider anything else. I designed two silly, retro t-shirts as birthday gifts for him, and he liked them both, but never wore either one because they were cream--CREAM!--and tan, respectively. Needless to say, he's not a customer.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I wear mostly black growing up heavy metal. I even figured out how to stay metal wearing a business suite, you should see my iron cross cufflinks and the ties I wear. Be sure to make a nice black shirt!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wear mostly black growing up heavy metal. I even figured out how to stay metal wearing a business suite, you should see my iron cross cufflinks and the ties I wear. Be sure to make a nice black shirt!
LOL! Full disclosure: The majority of my wardrobe is black, because I love color, but I'm also practical.

I'd love to set you up against my weisenheimer stepson, who took to saying "Black's not a color!" around age 7, after hearing some nonsense at school from the art teacher. "You're not wearing any clothes!", he would shout at me as I left the house in my usual black garb. "You're NAKED!" Now that he's an adolescent I keep hoping he'll start wearing all black like a normal teenage kid, but he's one of those cheerful "Life Is Good" types. I just can't get a break, you know? ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a shirt idea: STAY METAL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Randi,
I have been making and selling my designs to women for over twenty years and have had the same frustrations as you. It wasn't until recently that good women's blanks were made available. Anyway, to overcome the color limitations, I dye most of the shirts I use. Of course black and a couple others I may find I will use as is, but to really get what I want, I have had to learn a whole new discipline. Coming up with my own color pallette and being able to make instant changes are the benefits.
You can dye about thirty adult tees per load, double or triple that for infant wear, maybe nine hoodies, etc.
Don't know what your needs are, but this is an alternative you might research.
Here is a link for dyes, etc.
Dharma Fiber Reactive Procion Dyes
Jeff

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Randi,
I have been making and selling my designs to women for over twenty years and have had the same frustrations as you. It wasn't until recently that good women's blanks were made available. Anyway, to overcome the color limitations, I dye most of the shirts I use. Of course black and a couple others I may find I will use as is, but to really get what I want, I have had to learn a whole new discipline. Coming up with my own color pallette and being able to make instant changes are the benefits.
You can dye about thirty adult tees per load, double or triple that for infant wear, maybe nine hoodies, etc.
Don't know what your needs are, but this is an alternative you might research.
Here is a link for dyes, etc.
Dharma Fiber Reactive Procion Dyes
Jeff
*drool*
My husband is going to kick me out over this one… ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts