T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a silly question, but...

I'm running a 3-color job right now--red and blue on a white underbase. Every once in a while the edges of the blue screen stencil start to lose their sharpness, and I was taught a long time ago by an old-school screen printer (my father) to just wipe down the bottom of the screen (somewhat aggressively) with a dry paper towel. This fixes the loss of sharpness, but the next few prints will have a faint blue haze on the exposed areas of the white underbase. This haze will go away after a few prints, but not before making a few shirts look less than desirable.

Any tips for wiping the bottom of the screen and NOT getting the haze on the next 2-3 shirts? Am I just not wiping it enough? I usually wipe down once with a clean paper towel, then a second time with another clean paper towel. The second paper towel sure doesn't show much blue at all, but it never fails--it will still leave that faint blue haze on the white.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Use something like Easiway 842 screen wash on the paper towel. It will evaporate in a few seconds leaving no residue.
Make sure the image is free of ink before you wipe, otherwise you will get a lot of smearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use tape. The same tape you use to tape the sides of your screens. If images start getting fuzzy i stop the press, stick tape to the problem are and pull it off. The tape pulls the ink off the screen and there is no wiping needed. You can only use each piece of tape ONCE. If you use it twice you will spread the ink. Hope this helps

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I have this sudden issue, I have used a cloth scrap off of a tester shirts with a bit o paint thinner and wipe the back side as carefully as I can. Then, hopefully one of the stations is available to do a couple tester shirts to make sure that smear doesn't show until I can do one of the shirts for the job I am working on. I agree that the off contact is probably the issue causing this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.