T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the blue today when I prepared to print my first shirt I noticed the wiper assembly was not returning to its forward position after head cleaning. It is remaining there and will not move. If I do a number of head cleanings (4 or 5) it may move like its supposed to. But, the next time I do one, it's stuck again. I have cleaned the entire area well, cleaned the encoder strip, etc. Does anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hasn't anyone had this happen before? I am out of business until I fix it. I'm not sure what to do. HELP!

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Out of the blue today when I prepared to print my first shirt I noticed the wiper assembly was not returning to its forward position after head cleaning. It is remaining there and will not move. If I do a number of head cleanings (4 or 5) it may move like its supposed to. But, the next time I do one, it's stuck again. I have cleaned the entire area well, cleaned the encoder strip, etc. Does anyone have any other ideas?

If it is happening intermittently there is a chance that the DE lock lever is somehow getting stuck. If you move the print head off the capping station you will notice a little white lever. It is to the lower right of the carriage motor gear (screwdriver is pointing to it in the picture I've attached). It is spring loaded so take a small screwdriver and move it side to side to check that it's not sticking. If it is sticking you need to see why.

If that is not the problem then you should replace the capping assembly as your problem would probably be in there.

Harry
Equipment Zone

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea, Harry. I checked the lever and it seems to be able to move freely. While I guess it could be described as intermittent, it is 90% of the time out of position. It almost seems like a timing issue. If I manually move the belt on the drive gear, the assembly will move into position. However, with that said, there are sometimes where it seems like it is trying to move but can't. I have a new pump and cap assembly coming tomorrow. Does it seem like that is the problem to you - it needs replaced? As far as I know it is all original equipment. There haven't been a ton of items printed, but it is a couple of years old.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
The capping assembly is a wear part. We recommend changing them at least once a year as part of a regular maintenance program. If it's two years it should be changed out anyway.

On the Kiosk and T-Jet 1 and 2 printers you should be changing the entire capping assembly - capping station, pump, wipers.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Harry. I am going to change out the pump, wipers and capping station as soon as I receive the parts. I will update this thread once I have done that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are plastic gears inside that strip out. I have taken these apart, no repairing, get a new capping station, Equipment Zone has good pricing. I have made mine last longer by keeping the outside of the wiper area super clean, spend an extra 5 min and save $60.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
There are plastic gears inside that strip out. I have taken these apart, no repairing, get a new capping station, Equipment Zone has good pricing. I have made mine last longer by keeping the outside of the wiper area super clean, spend an extra 5 min and save $60.

Good maintenance is very important to the proper functioning of all these printers. However, no matter how well you maintain them, the capping assemblies have wear parts in them. Since the capping assembly plays such a crucial role in proper ink flow through the print head, changing them out yearly provides some additional insurance for the proper functioning of your printer.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are fairly mechanically inclined you can remove the pump assembly, disassemble it and clean it and put a new set of wipers into it. I do this on a regular basis and as long as you haven't stripped any of the gears inside you can refurbish it as good as new. The good thing is that you can just dump them into some hot water and a good household cleaner to clean off the ink. One of the big issues with the pump assembly is that it can get ink inside on the gears and bind up the movement and cause one of the small gears to strip some of the teeth. I would recommend that you have an extra one to look at the first few times that you do it however just so that you don't get lost putting it all back together.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Be careful with the small black hose that goes from the bottom of the capping station into the pump if you disassemble and reassemble the capping assembly several times. The hose fitting at the pump can get loose if the hose is pulled on and off frequently which can cause the hose to come off when the printer is operating.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, that was the problem - replaced the capping assembly and the pump assembly (including wipers) and we're back up and running. It was the first time I had changed these items out, but I think it took me all of about 30 minutes to do. It was easy.

I will keep a set of these things on hand at all times, just in case...

Thanks to all who posted their thoughts and ideas.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
We usually replace the capping station at the same time as the printhead so we know how old they both are..

You need to look at maintenance for your printer the same way you look at maintaining the car you drive. You get the oil changed on the car at regular intervals. You change the air filter at regular intervals. You consider this to be all part of owning the car. You don't wait for the car to exhibit problems before you'll change the oil. You're practicing preventive maintenance and that is what you also have to do with your digital garment printer.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,
I have a Kiosk 2 I bought used. The prevoius owner had it apart to replace capping station, head, etc... and left it sitting, couldn't figure it out to put it back together. I bought it and with the help of this forum and some online videos, put it back together and it's working. At least I THINK it is...
I've noticed the wiper doesn't move out of the way when the carriage goes out and back to print. The gears don't turn to make it go anywhere. I can manually turn the gears and move it away (to the left). During head cleans the gear turns and it pumps like it should, but again, it never turns the other way to move the wiper out from the head travel path. During printing, the motor & gears never even try to make it move. No gear grinding, belt slipping, or turning of any kind.
What should I try for troubleshooting? Is there even a problem if the wiper doesn't move?
:confused:
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Hello,
I have a Kiosk 2 I bought used. The prevoius owner had it apart to replace capping station, head, etc... and left it sitting, couldn't figure it out to put it back together. I bought it and with the help of this forum and some online videos, put it back together and it's working. At least I THINK it is...
I've noticed the wiper doesn't move out of the way when the carriage goes out and back to print. The gears don't turn to make it go anywhere. I can manually turn the gears and move it away (to the left). During head cleans the gear turns and it pumps like it should, but again, it never turns the other way to move the wiper out from the head travel path. During printing, the motor & gears never even try to make it move. No gear grinding, belt slipping, or turning of any kind.
What should I try for troubleshooting? Is there even a problem if the wiper doesn't move?
:confused:
Thanks in advance,

The wiper on the capping assembly is supposed to move. If it sticks then something was not put back together correctly or you have a cable connection loose. I would first remove and check out the capping assembly itself. I've attached a link to a video we have for the Fast T-Jet 2, which is a twin to the Kiosk printer, which may be helpful for you:

http://www.youtube.com/equipzone#p/u/37/_7-OvApv5mY

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the response Harry.
I've taken it apart and checked/cleaned the pump, gears, capping station, and drive gears from the motor.
Like I said before, it doesn't even TRY to move out of the way. The gears only turn one direction, and it's clear they do during a head cleaning. They never turn the other way to move the wiper out. I've been watching with a flashlight on the drive gears. The motor doesn't make a noise until it's turning the gears to run the pump, during which the wiper stays in the path of the head.
Electrical connection maybe? If so, where do I check for wires related to that?
Does it relate to the carriage position sensor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, Got mine to work! :D
The white rod that switches the gear direction when the carriage is in home position was loose - hanging out of one of it's mounts. The little black tab that keeps it within the slide limits was broken. Replaced it with a fabricated metal tab I screwed in place next to it. Works good now!
Thanks all for your support!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts