T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 week old baby and need to print a 6 color job on 140 shirts this week. I am worried about breastfeeding after being exposed to all the fumes and hand cleaner. Might harmful toxins get into my breast milk?

Does anyone have any info/statistics on this? We use mostly inks and chemicals from Performance Screen Supply - Bob's.

Thanks!
Amy

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Amy,

I would check with your Doctor / Pediatrician on this one. They will probably want to look at the MSDS Sheets of all the inks / chemicals being used in order to answer the question. I know of one person that was told to stay away from eco-solvent printers completely during pregnancy. Not sure what the rules would be for post-pregnancy though. Play it safe and get professional medical advice. IMHO.

Best wishes and congrats on the little one!

Mark

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yeah I would have to agree a question like this should definitely be directed to your physician.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I know that it takes a matter of seconds for your skin to absorb chemicals. You cannot keep yourself from everything for example makeup, sunscreen, cleaners... Not that I am suggesting you come in-contact with screen printing chemicals, BUT you should not even if you are not preg-o/breastfeeding. Chemicals are bad in general and should be avoided through chemical safe protective equipment (proper gloves) and ventilation. Your body was designed (and others were apparently made from monkeys/mud/planets crashing together) to keep a lot of your systems separated...your skin is your larges organ and will be exposed to many elements...of which someone was thinking/planning for that.

I agree you should talk to your doc, but my guess would be they will say to avoid that stuff not due to your baby food source, but rather because it is not good for yourself. If proper precautions are taken then you should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link - that was a helpful article. I have checked with the doctor and he just said he didn't know anything about screen printing chemicals specifically and gave the general, obvious answer - stay away from bad chemicals. Duh. But I have to pay my rent and this job is ultra complicated so my partner passed it off to me because he was pulling his hair out!! Ugh!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts