T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was looking into getting a laser printer for transperancies but am still kinda confused as to whether my current printer would work. I read in one post that the HP PSC wouldn't work and I read in another that it would...I have a HP PSC 2355. My question is would my current printer suffice as i can't afford to buy another one and dont think I can afford a $500 RIP SW which I don't even think they even make for HP, right? I want to be able to print halftones if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, could I use GhostScript for my printer? Would that help with the halftones? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what ive read the ink on a inkjet printer is very translucent but there is a spray that goes on it to darken it, some type of aresol

·
Registered
985 Posts
Happen to know what that spray is called?
It's called toner aid, after I used it I didn't see much of a difference, it may be the transparencies I am using, from the office supply store.
I am switching to R-Film for ink jet from silkscreeningsupplies.com, several users in this forum use it with not problem, (no need to use two transparencies one on top of the other). I received a pack last week, so far I have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are pros and cons to both laser and inkjet printers.

Laser printers get great toner coverage and opacity (especially when the toner darkening spray is used), but the heat from the printer can warp the film somewhat, so if you're doing more than one color, your registration might end up a little off.

Inkjet printers don't print totally opaque and usually require doubling up prints. This can eat up $ in both ink and positive film. I'm not sure there's a spray that can darken inkjet ink. Changing the print settings in the printer dialogue box can help a bit.

Laser Toner aid can be found here: Sprayway SW208 SW-208 Laser Toner Aide - Enhancer - ScreenPrintingSupplies.com
Toner Aid will not work on inkjet prints. It only works on toner.

Using specially coated transparency film should help both laser and injet printing - and you can get film that's specific to both kinds of printers.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
An epson with the proper film WILL NOT require double films, laser toner will sometimes. Inkjets have a higher dmax or density than laser. An hp inkjet will have a dark black also, but I think Epsons are rated the highest dmax of black with consumer or pro inkjets.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I guess my questin still is. Can I use my current printer for now? Wanted to know before I bought some waterproof R-film from screenprintingsupplies.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes, your printer should be fine for printing positives. As I mentioned earlier, though, keep an eye out for slight warping of the positives due to the heat from the printer. It probably won't be noticeable, but if you are printing multiple colors that require exact registration, there's a chance you might experience some positives that just don't line up. Solution - make sure your positives align before burning your screens. You may want to buy a can of Toner Aid, too - it can't hurt.

As for halftones with Ghostscript, I don't know because I don't use it - I'm sure there are others on this board who can tell you more about that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's an inkjet? I thought it was a laser - the product specs I read said laser-quality and, being the idiot I am, I saw the word "laser" and ran with it. So you can totally ignore everything I said except the line, "Yes, your printer should be fine for printing positives."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts