T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends, I'm going to produce my own serigraph prints at 11x14. And eventually T-shirts. I plan on using a yet to be determined, good water based black ink. (suggestions?) I have 20x24 in. 305 mesh screens, and am going to get my first screen burned for me professionally. My artwork is very detailed in charcoal. I am having trouble finding someone in town here, Boulder CO, who can print me an 11x14 55lpi? image on acetate. I did get 2 printed, one in CMYK full color, and one in grayscale, both on Mylar.
Will either one of these work for my needs? Or what exactly do I need for the best final serigraph print?
Thank you,
Cy

·
Registered
53 Posts
It seems like you could have maybe not been asking for the right thing. You usually need some kind of RIP to make the screens.

Generally grayscale isn't what you want. You should need halftones since it is only a single color.

You don't say which software you use, but you could always just use GIMP. Or search for making halftones using whatever software you use.

https://www.screenprinting-aspa.com/the-artists-corner/how-to-print-halftones-on-the-cheap

I am sure there are better answer on here too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like you could have maybe not been asking for the right thing. You usually need some kind of RIP to make the screens.

Generally grayscale isn't what you want. You should need halftones since it is only a single color.

You don't say which software you use, but you could always just use GIMP. Or search for making halftones using whatever software you use.

https://www.screenprinting-aspa.com/the-artists-corner/how-to-print-halftones-on-the-cheap

I am sure there are better answer on here too.
Thank you Ginzburg. Yes you are correct I was asking for the wrong type of file. I have Gimp and the tutorial you sent is great! My only problem with doing it myself is I need an 11x14 copy and my printer wont go that big so I need to have someone else do it for me. At least I know what to ask for now. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts