T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking of starting up my own t-shirt/hoodie company.
But I have no background in fashion/textiles etc.
I was speaking to a factory manager and he began asking me questions of the weight of the T-shirts/hoodies. But I have no idea what I am looking for.

He mentioned a regular sweatshirt is 320 grams.

I know weights will vary depending on size, thickness of fabric etc. but how do i work this out?

is it as simple as just weighing the t-shirt?
or??

i'm totally clueless and have come to stop!

if anyone can help, i'd be so grateful

·
Registered
721 Posts
When they talk about the weight of the t-shirt or sweatshirt, they are really referring to the thickness of the fabric.

Take a regular t-shirt for example: Gildan makes 2 styles of the 100% cotton men's t-shirt. One is a 5.6 oz shirt, and the other is a 6.1 oz shirt. The 5.6 oz shirt is not as thick as the 6.1 oz. Some of the more trendy brands make a lightweight shirt that is about 4.5 oz -- that is going to be very light weight, and have a sheer quality to it (which is to say, more see through). So when I look at the weight of a t-shirt or sweatshirt, I'm thinking in terms of thickness of fabric.

Thickness of the fabric becomes important to me in a couple of different ways. One is cost - the 5.6 oz tee costs slightly less than the 6.1 oz tee. But, I cannot choose a tee based solely on cost -- I have to think about how the garment is going to be decorated. A 5.6 oz tee does not embroider nearly as well as a 6.1 oz tee. If I'm decorating with vinyl, a 4.5 oz tee is going to require a thin vinyl. And so on.

Besides weight, the fabric content is also a consideration. If you're using sublimation printing, your garment needs to be 100% polyester. If you're using vinyl or silk screening, then a 100% cotton, or a 50/50 cotton/poly tee is best.

I would suggest that you use the links at the left of the page for the preferred vendors. Just look around on some of the vendor sites at tees and sweatshirts...this will help you get an idea of the different types and weights of fabrics are commonly used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts