T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm looking at purchasing a printer for printing transparencies and have come up with two options.
the Epson WorkForce 7010 or the Epson 1430.
From what i can see there is about $100 price difference, one is uses pigment based inks and the other dye based. I would use refillable cartridges with witchever printer i got.

If I were to put dye inks in the WF 7010 would this cause any problems? (if i did this i wouldn't use the stock pigment ink just dye and refills from the start.)

If the WF 7010 was running dye inks would there be a noticeable difference in the film positives it would produce in comparison to the 1430?

if in a photography dark room you use red light and when coating your screens you do it under a yellow light why not print red,yellow and black instead of all black?

thanks for taking the time to read, Jack

· Registered
277 Posts
So I use an Epson 1400. It has dye ink. Works fine for me and my films, however I have heard that pigment ink makes a darker positive. As for yellow or red, I recently tried all the colors, red, yelloe, and cyan, because I've heard that Epson ink has UV blockers so I thought "if that's the case then they should all work." But that's not the case. Magenta did work. Just as good as black too.but yellow and cyan did not. The yellow slowly started to open but it wasnt clean. The cyan was fully exposed. I haven't tried a detailed image in magenta but I will and i will post it. Hope this helped.

· Registered
736 Posts
I seem to remember someone mentioning a demo of aftermarket inks where they printed "clear" just to prove how UV resistant the base fluid was rather than the colorant affecting it.

People here seem to have good results with both pigments and dyes, but I've seen more recommendations to use dyes for film positives.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a Epson Office Stylus T1100 second hand, It still has some of the OEM inks in it so I wil use them up first if they work well enough, then on to refillable cartridges and a good dye based ink. I live in Australia so alot of the inks i hear about for printing transparencies would cost a small fortune to get shipped but I have found this ink though says it has a "UV absorber component - increased print fade life" would this be a suitable ink? RIHAC Digital Solutions
I figure if it's supposed to protect your print from UV it should protect the emulsion...

thanks for all your answers, Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.