T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
greetings--i mean NO OFFENSE when i say=if enough sincere answers are posted here, then i'll take the time to use the 'mbr introduction' area. CAPS do NOT imply yelling.
--sincere answers only--THANKS IF SO.
you guys appear to be very comp savvy--i'm not and [NO OFFENSE] i've no interest in the computer subj--so SINCEREST THX if you all tell me why i shouldn't buy a TSHIRT,ETC SPECIFIC PROGRAM[/U][/B]] to use for CAFEPRESS/SPREADSHIRT dsg use [i e, to sell shirts etc through cprss/spdsht.] 'grafitti' at another graphic design forum wrote in reply to some1 else=''i heard that T-shirt factory Deluxe is the software that t-shirt designers usually use...''
MOST IMPORTANTLY==is there any TSHRTS SPECIFIC DESIGN software which fits ALL of the foll'g capabilities==

a] custom tshirt design section/area [of the program] with tshirt layout outline [so know exactly where dsg is on shirts etc] b] must be able to export/upload the design created [text and images] as PNG files NOT JPG files to a cafepress/spreadshirt c] must be able to import images from web etc AND MANIPULATE THEM [alter their appearance and be able to splice images together etc etc]

.sincerest thanks if you answer today
i've not bought anything yet and I'M GRATEFUL FOR AND OPEN TO ALL APPLICABLE SINCERE ADVICE.

as an aside, it really annoyed me when i found out that cafepress doesn't have a dsg tool/program [AT LEAST FOR TEXT] onsite--that would've saved months of annoyance trying to find ways to make my creations happen and is sorely needed BY ALL OF US in non-comp-savvy populace.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
as an aside, it really annoyed me when i found out that cafepress nor spreadshirt has a dsg tool/program [AT LEAST FOR TEXT] onsite
Actually, spreadshirt.com does have a design tool on site for both text and simple graphic images from their library.

tell me why i shouldn't buy T-SHIRT FACTORY DELUXE 3.0 [OR ANOTHER TSHIRT,ETC SPECIFIC PROGRAM] to use for CAFEPRESS/SPREADSHIRT dsg use.
I haven't tried t-shirt factory deluxe, but if it meets your needs and the needs of cafepress/spreadshirt, why not use it?

From the sparse information on the T-Shirt Factory Deluxe software website, it's hard to tell what file formats it can export and at what resolution:
http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/tfw/default.aspx

It needs to be able to export high resolution graphics if you're going to use them at spreadshirt/cafepress. To do black shirts at cafepress, the software has to be able to export transparent PNG files.

:welcome:

that would've saved months of annoyance trying to find ways to make my creations happen and is sorely needed BY MOST OF US.
I don't know if "most of us" would need that software, but I can see how it would be useful to some that are just starting out :) Most folks here either use photoshop, paint shop pro (low cost), gimp (free), coreldraw, illustrator, to create designs. Heck, I created my first t-shirt design with the free Windows Paint software that comes with Microsoft Windows (saved as a big ol' BMP)

You can make it happen, sometimes it just means adjusting your plans to make it happen. For example, if a design that I wanted to create was out of my scope of ability (and a lot of designs that I sell are :)), then I would just hire a graphic designer to create the graphic for me. That money investment would save me hours and days in a time investment of trying to do it myself. But everyone is different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx rodney--i checked spreadshrt a few minutes prior to posting-i didn't see indication of a dsg tool, etc; if you provide a link for the page[?] which has dsg tools, that'd be SINCERELY APPREC'D.

AND do you know of [i've tried web & shopping searches but i don't think i'm getting usable results] any ''other TSHIRT,ETC SPECIFIC PROGRAMS'' [i e, software just for dsg'g tshrts, other novelty items, etc.]
ALSO, sincere thx if you read the part of my post with those [a-c] needs and say so if i'm leaving anything out as far as doing this through cafepress/spreadshrt.

YOUR TIME/EFFORT TO DO SO IS APPREC'D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read your new adtn to your first reply---to clarify for every1, i didn't mean 'most of us' in the forum, i meant most of us in the general pop, we're not comp savvy in general [especially with this area.]
also, see my reply [separately just above this post, iguess] to your first reply.--thx again if so.
also, for the record i don't know when i'll ever be able to afford the fee of a gphcs desgnr.
sincere THX AGAIN IF REPLY TO THESE REPLIES.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
spreadshrt a few minutes prior to posting-i didn't see indication of a dsg tool, etc; if you provide a link for the page[?] which has dsg tools, that'd be SINCERELY APPREC'D.
You have to actually sign up for the spreadshirt service and then click on the Add a Product link to see their online design tool.

You can also see an example of it at:
http://www.designer.spreadshirt.com/

do you know of [i've tried web & shopping searches but i don't think i'm getting usable results] any ''other TSHIRT,ETC SPECIFIC PROGRAMS''
I don't know of any off hand, sorry. As I said, most people just use a 'graphic design" software and then use that to design the shirt.

To figure out placement, many people will take a t-shirt template and load it into the design software after they've created the design. Then they take their design and superimpose it on the t-shirt template so they can get an estimate of how it would look.

I used to do that, but now I pretty much know how a t-shirt will look after the graphic is applied, so I just focus on creating the graphic for the t-shirt without having a t-shirt background.

When you upload the design to cafepress/spreadshirt, they will automatically superimpose your design on the picture of a t-shirt, so you can then decide if you want the design bigger or smaller or higher/lower.

ALSO, sincere thx if you read the part of my post with those [a-c] needs and say so if i'm leaving anything out as far as doing this through cafepress/spreadshrt.
You need to be able to export "High Resolution" (200-300dpi) graphics from the software you select.

As I mentioned, for cafepress, if you want to print on black t-shirts, you need to be able to export a high resolution TRANSPARENT PNG file.

If you want to print on black shirts at spreadshirt, you need to be able to create VECTOR graphics that can be uploaded to spreadshirt.

Here's a list of raster (like PNG) graphics design software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raster_graphics_editors

Here's a list of vector (like EPS) graphics design software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vector_graphics_editors

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I believe there is a Hanes T-shirt Maker software available as well...

But I think most people use full-feature graphics programs because there really is no reason to use a t-shirt specific program - except that the t-shirt specific program might be a little easier to use. The big name programs will likely have a lot of options and features for image editing as well.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
notcompsavvy said:
['grafitti' at another graphic design forum wrote in reply to some1 else=''i heard that T-shirt factory Deluxe is the software that t-shirt designers usually use...'']
T-shirt designers (and designers in general for that matter) usually use Adobe Illustrator, with Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw also being popular options. As Rodney said you can use just about anything, but most people will use a good standard graphics editing program, rather than anything t-shirt specific.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Honestly if you want to design graphics for t-shirts you might as well learn the softwares mentioned. Yes they can be heady programs but for proffessional results its the way to go. I use my sign making program 90% of the time and a bit of Corel draw. I am comfortable with what I use everyday...you can download some free trial versions of the popular softwares listed I think and see what works for you. Yes...Hanes does make a T-shirt specific software that may be easier to use for a computer novice. You might try and find a trial version of that as well. Mastering any of the advanced graphics software doesnt come overnight so dont be daunted by its complexity. Most have great tutorials and there are many online sites with the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx to TWINGE, SOLMU, MOTOSKIN, RODNEY==I'M re-reading your posts now--will reply asap----also, i'm updating my orig RIGHT NOW with new current info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rodney said:
I haven't tried t-shirt factory deluxe, but if it meets your needs and the needs of cafepress/spreadshirt, why not use it?

From the sparse information on the T-Shirt Factory Deluxe software website, it's hard to tell what file formats it can export and at what resolution''

=====reply==i mentioned tfd in my orig post [see the updated version] just in case anybody knew off hand reasons not to use it. i already intended to call them [to ask about png etc--see my a-c req's list] after going offline that day and i hoped to save time/trouble to do so [e g, their line may've been discon'd, busy, etc] by getting that specific info here. but that didn't happen, so i called and AS I FEARED tfd does NOT support png. don't know how i can go about finding a SIMPLE non-comp-savvy user-friendly tshrt dsg s'ware which fits the a-c criteria in orig post. don't know how effective my search style was, but seems like i've done all the web/'shopping' searchES a non-comp-savvy can [incl'g clkg results that took me to 'google qstns' and fora like this 1--unfortunately all were for pro's]

thx again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thx again to all who've replied thusfar, please add addenda and ammenda as much as poss --- the foll'g CONTEXT should enhance and further clarify this situation.--note=i didn't purposely choose lg'er font below, don't know why that happened.
thx if you all reply to foll'g hypothetical-your time/effort is apprec'd=== [without mentioning details] this is prob'ly the most cumbersome shrt concept i currently want to do==
involves obtaining [from web?] a public domain [or other -'don't have to worry about copyright'- way] photo of a landmark and making it's eyes appear to be directed in a direction which is different from their real position--if poss [if not excrutiatingly difficult FOR ME] i'd like to make the head appear to be SLIGHTLY turned a different dir, also.
this is 1 reason for my surmised req 'c' in my orig post [start of this topic.]
what do you say about the prospects of person in my novice position doing this?
what would i require?
if so, how?
what chances do you give finding any tshrt, etc specific dsg s'ware capable of doing this?

AGAIN, YOUR TIME/EFFORT TO ANSWER IS GREATLY APPREC'D.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
because i'm not here for timewasters OR assh--s, which is what most forums result in.
One thing to note. We're not "most forums" :) We're here to provide a friendly t-shirt resource with helpful answers when we can.

i currently want to do==
involves obtaining [from web?] a public domain [or other -'don't have to worry about copyright'- way] photo of a landmark and making it's eyes appear to be directed in a direction which is different from their real position--if poss [if not excrutiatingly difficult FOR ME] i'd like to make the head appear to be SLIGHTLY turned a different dir, also.
this is 1 reason for my surmised req 'c' in my orig post [start of this topic.]
what would i require?
if so, how?
From what you describe, I honestly don't think that there is a "t-shirt specific" design software that will do what you're trying to accomplish.

Actually, by the nature of what you describe, I'm not sure it's something a "novice" user could do, even with the "regular" design software that is often mentioned here (photoshop, paint shop pro, coreldraw, gimp, illustrator, etc).

With some training and time, it's possible that a novice user could learn the steps necessary to create the effect you're looking for, but from what you're describing and what you mention as your level of computer knowledge.

So to summarize:

It doesn't sound easily possible.

what would i require?
After a few days/weeks/months tackling the learning curve of the various "non-t-shirt-specific" design software with traingin/tutorials/etc, then I think a novice could do it. But then, after that training, they wouldn't be a novice anymore :)

what chances do you give finding any tshrt, etc specific dsg s'ware capable of doing this?
I'd say slim to none, unfortunately.

As I mentioned earlier, I think one option to reconsider might be the outsourcing of the graphic design part of the project.

However, if you have the money for the proper software (I don't think a "t-shirt specific" software will do it for you) and the TIME to learn the software, then you could probably do it on your own.

Hope this helps some :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
[note to all=i've ltd comp access--no i'm not in prison or asnything like that, but time online's very ltd so unless mbrs tell me that they refuse to reply here without mbr intro posts from me or profile info, i HONESTLY don't currently have time online to devote to that non-vital area.]
thx again-this forum seems to be very helpful and very well run.
forgot to ask earlier= would apprec every1's views on ''printshop pro-publisher deluxe [22?]''--a phone operator at 'parson's technology[?]' which i guess is affiliated with broderbund, claimed that it met those a-c requirements and claimed that it has a section for tshrts specifically AND that its 'logo creator' was ''a boon to a customer who designs tshrts'' [with whom he claimed to have spoken.] it's very expensive in terms of my finances. so i hope forum mbrs can confirm or refute his claims. sincerest thx if so.
CONTEXT==i called parsons last week cause last week i had OLD cdrom ''tshrt dsg shop'' or sometrhing like that and had to call # on sleeve to confirm fact that it doesnt support png, so i wouldnt waste time.

also,
***********i called spreadshrt to find out where they had dsg tool for text [in the time btwn your stating they did and your foll-up stating it's accessible when ytou start acct there] and your info subsequently matched.

You need to be able to export "High Resolution" (200-300dpi) graphics from the software you select.

As I mentioned, for cafepress, if you want to print on black t-shirts, you need to be able to export a high resolution TRANSPARENT PNG file.

If you want to print on black shirts at spreadshirt, you need to be able to create VECTOR graphics that can be uploaded to spreadshirt.

Here's a list of raster (like PNG) graphics design software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aphics_editors
few qstns=does that mean that just cause pro-pblshr or other s'ware 'supports, exports, etc png,' that may not be enough? i e, one must also cnfrm that the resolution's 200-300

is a transparant png file something not all png supporting s'ware ,applicable to this subj, does?

not that i currently have any idea what raster/vector is [the definitions were too jargon filled for my comp knowlege base to comprehend,] but is that something which doesn't go hand in hand with png etc--i believe this is the same sort of qstn just now asked about 'transparant png.'

again, it's hoped and apprec'd if mbrs can confirm or deny the suitability of printshop propblshr deluxe 22 in light of the req's rodney listed.
every1's time/effort to answer is apprec'd*************

1 - 13 of 13 Posts