T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... On just about all my screens, I have a thin frame of emulsion around the outer edges. I scrub it with emulsion remover but its just being a poop! So how do I get it off? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Generally a pressure will knock it all out. I sometimes take a few stubborn ones to a car wash to clean any emulsion residue. God Bless.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken a hose to them but it's still not coming out. Is there a chemical to get the stubborness out?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are more than likely going to have to use a pressure washer. The water hose is not going to cut it.
I assume if you had one you would have already used it? You could try soaking the screen in a emulsion remover solution. use some thing like a under the bed storage box. the are long wide and not too deep.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty. Thanks everyone. I'll do everything I can!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much pressure or whatever with the pressure washer? Which is the best attachment/nozzle to use?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use a 3000 PSI pressure washer. I use the white tip to wash out the screens, and the yellow tip to reclaim the screen. You could probably get by with a 1300psi or 1500psi pressure washer. DON'T USE THE RED TIP it will cut threw the screen.

·
Registered
828 Posts
the edges are usually from not wiping off excess emulsion when you coat the screens. these won't come off like the rest of the emulsion because it either got underexposed during exposure or it is thicker than the rest and the emulsion remover didn't have as much time to act on it.

I have had this problem plenty of times.. Use a pressure washer. It saves the day.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Obviously I don't have the same pressure washer as u do. What kind of nozzle shape should I use? A wider one or a pin point size one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi
use wider one and start gently if it wont go off be gentle and don't come too close- it will make a hole in youre screen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
get the pressure washer, emulsion remover does not work nearly as well when it has been applied multiple times. the dip tank system has always worked well for me, very little waste. Home depot pressure washers are fine, no need to go heavy duty... wide spray, don't pull the trigger with the spray on the screen, start off to the side and move onto the screen. watch out for bits of tape, they can 'push' through the screen under the pressure if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a fire man type hose nozzle bought from chemicalguys.com, It has high pressure! however, even though I let the emulsion remover sit for a few minutes..some still stay on. I didn't try scrubbing yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
squegee pressure on the shirt still warm from the flash cure seems to affect things, age of the emulsion, was the screen left dirty for a long time, emulsion remover was allowed to dry... lots of factors. Pressure washer is a great need and you will be haunted by problems until you shell out for one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, if you use emulsion remover and let it sit and it dries, then it becomes a lot more difficult to remove the trouble spots. If this happens, then dehaze can help.

I have a low psi (1000-1500) cheap pressure washer, and I use a finer setting on the nozzle for the stubborn stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A "pressure washer" uses an electric motor (or gas) to increase the pressure. Usually pressure washers start at 1,000 psi for inexpensive ones and go up to 5,000 psi for industrial or agricultural applications.
The cheaper units are usually only good for intermittent use. If you try to use them every day, you might only get 6 months out of it. The larger ones will last a year or so and the industrial ones will last for many years. "You get what you pay for"

Without a pressure washer, you are only spraying the static pressure in your water supply. Usually 60-80 psi for city supplied water and 40-60 psi for well supplied water.
No matter what nozzle you use, you can NOT increase pressure, contrary to misleading advertising claims. Certain pinpoint nozzles only increase velocity, which doesn't help with this problem.

I can tell by the pictures, you have other issues too. One is: DO NOT ALLOW THE RECLAIMER TO DRY ON THE SCREENS !!!!!!
This will "lock them up" and then you need a pressure washer AND other chemicals to soften the emulsion.
Underexposure will also allow the emulsion to get "locked up". If your using a pure photopolymer type emulsion, you can NOT post expose screens. They must be completely exposed during the initial exposure.

DO NOT USE Lacquer Thinner, Paint Thinner or Acetone to clean off the ink. All of those solvents will "lock up" most emulsions that don't have a high solvent resistance. Use any of the more expensive Eco-friendly ink removers.

With proper exposure and completely removing ink with the correct type of cleaner, the emulsion will literally "fall off" the mesh without the need for a pressure washer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Howdy!
wow, thats pretty much what I needed to know... I do own a gas pressure washer..I hope its not "too" powerful, its a honda. I have to double check the pressure.
I am using the CCI DXP Diazo-Photopolymer Dual Cure Direct Emulsion (ryonet)
I guess I need some other stuff. I'll be honest, I did try paint thinner lol (smells horrible)

I'll look for :expensive Eco-friendly ink removers

thanks!

A "pressure washer" uses an electric motor (or gas) to increase the pressure. Usually pressure washers start at 1,000 psi for inexpensive ones and go up to 5,000 psi for industrial or agricultural applications.
The cheaper units are usually only good for intermittent use. If you try to use them every day, you might only get 6 months out of it. The larger ones will last a year or so and the industrial ones will last for many years. "You get what you pay for"

Without a pressure washer, you are only spraying the static pressure in your water supply. Usually 60-80 psi for city supplied water and 40-60 psi for well supplied water.
No matter what nozzle you use, you can NOT increase pressure, contrary to misleading advertising claims. Certain pinpoint nozzles only increase velocity, which doesn't help with this problem.

I can tell by the pictures, you have other issues too. One is: DO NOT ALLOW THE RECLAIMER TO DRY ON THE SCREENS !!!!!!
This will "lock them up" and then you need a pressure washer AND other chemicals to soften the emulsion.
Underexposure will also allow the emulsion to get "locked up". If your using a pure photopolymer type emulsion, you can NOT post expose screens. They must be completely exposed during the initial exposure.

DO NOT USE Lacquer Thinner, Paint Thinner or Acetone to clean off the ink. All of those solvents will "lock up" most emulsions that don't have a high solvent resistance. Use any of the more expensive Eco-friendly ink removers.

With proper exposure and completely removing ink with the correct type of cleaner, the emulsion will literally "fall off" the mesh without the need for a pressure washer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That emulsion is pretty good as well as solvent AND water resistant. You might look into the exposure settings, you might possibly be underexposing too.

If you don't need the water resistant quality, go with a pure photopolymer emulsion. It will be MUCH faster exposing. We recommend that for people with weaker exposure units or when using laser positives that are not 100% opaque.

When you use the pressure washer, shoot straight into the screen. DO NOT spray from the side, it will spread the threads of the fabric.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ok, gas pressure washer, never pull the trigger with the stream on the screen, start it off to the side and move onto the mesh. even the wide nozzle will punch a hole if you aren't careful. just a fair warning

1 - 20 of 28 Posts