T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have been using dye sublimation on t-shirts for about 6 months now. Sometimes my shirts turn out great, other times, there is a light box where the heat press hit the shirt. Othertimes, it looks like it almost burnt that box, because it is darker. I normally do temp 390 for 50 seconds. What does everyone else do Is there something Im doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

· Registered
23 Posts
HI, I have been using dye sublimation on t-shirts for about 6 months now. Sometimes my shirts turn out great, other times, there is a light box where the heat press hit the shirt. Othertimes, it looks like it almost burnt that box, because it is darker. I normally do temp 390 for 50 seconds. What does everyone else do Is there something Im doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
What type of garment are you pressing? Each garment may need different times, heat, and pressure.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using NextLevel heather gray 60% combed ringspun cotton, 40% polyester jersey. I put on poly spray as well. I get a nice sublimation, but it's either light or dark where the press is. What type of shirt do you use that is a cost appropriate to sell? Thanks

· Administrator
18,944 Posts
I'm using NextLevel heather gray 60% combed ringspun cotton, 40% polyester jersey. I put on poly spray as well.
Have you seen any difference after a few washes? How does the ink hold up? I would think you would have significant fading.

We press as low as 350 for 45 seconds. But still can sometimes get those burn/scorch marks. Stick with white shirts and they become invisible. :)

· Registered
23 Posts
I'm using NextLevel heather gray 60% combed ringspun cotton, 40% polyester jersey. I put on poly spray as well. I get a nice sublimation, but it's either light or dark where the press is. What type of shirt do you use that is a cost appropriate to sell? Thanks
I think your problem is that you are using 60/40 blend. Sublimation is best when using 100% poly. The cotton in the shirt doesn't accept the ink very well and can be where you're light spots are coming from. We only Dye Sub on 100%. There are a few companies that sell 100% poly shirts that mimic cotton blend shirts. Might want to look into those.

· Registered
1 Posts
I think your problem is that you are using 60/40 blend. Sublimation is best when using 100% poly. The cotton in the shirt doesn't accept the ink very well and can be where you're light spots are coming from. We only Dye Sub on 100%. There are a few companies that sell 100% poly shirts that mimic cotton blend shirts. Might want to look into those.

Can you point me in a direction to what you are talking about? Can’t feel online ... I usually can’t stand anything with too high poly % so something that mimics cotton is right up my alley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
38 Posts
Here is what im talking about with the lines. It is so frustrating because i can't sell shirts like this. Does anyone else use a heather gray with sublimation? Or do you only use white shirts?
using a nomex heat resistant pad inside the t-shirt will help to reduce what is in effect a pressure mark from the heat applied to the T-shirt, it appears on White T-shirts too even if 100% Polyester downside is that it is pricy to buy in and will probably discolour with the grey so you might not be abel to swap from grey to white with the same pad - in the UK R A Smart sell them, i'm sure others do but that is where we bought ours (Nomex is a dupont brand so other heat resistant foam/felt will work i am sure)

· Registered
116 Posts
Here is what im talking about with the lines. It is so frustrating because i can't sell shirts like this. Does anyone else use a heather gray with sublimation? Or do you only use white shirts?
Sublimation with heather shirts works fine when it's done the way it works.

First off, get in touch with that guy at Vapor Apparel and get their heather garments because being intended for sublimation, they will work.

Second, I hate to be a party pooper here but you experts are all wrong with your answers.

What has happened is that when these shirts were put under the press, dye in the shirt migrated to the transfer paper. That's why the area under the paper is lighter.

Check your transfer paper. You'll see that it has some color where it was white prior to pressing.

You'll find the same thing with many colored shirts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.