T-Shirt Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Guess What I would not even get out of bed for $8 per shirt including the shirt. To do a large print 12 x 16 on a dark shirt uses about $4 ink, pretreatment, paper. Per print you have to allow 50c per print for running costs averaging 120 shirts per day to cover Machine maintenence, insurance, power etc etc. So there is $4.50 no shirt yet. A T shirt costs $2.30 landed on your door for a quality T. So there is $6.80. You still have to insure the art work is all correct and set at the correct size and ppi etc. (95% of customer have no idea about art work so you have to do all this for them) This is another 10-15mins in most cases as they also want text added and a mock up emailed to them. You have to do them a invoice and print it out. This is time and money as well. Then print the shirt cure it (more time). I dot know how most print but we change every 3500 shirts prints a New print head, capping station, pump assemble, head cable ect so we do not get down time when we are busy but this is 1/2 a day gone every 4 weeks.(we do on average 1000 per week). The there is some wastage on cleaning etc. All of this has to be factored into it. You will aso need rerurn on your investment and also a hourly rate which we base on a 10 hour day and normaly work 12-14 over 6 days but 10 hours actually production (15 per hour average). No way I would work for $1.20 per shirt x 120 per 10 hour day thats only $144. per day afetr costs so you are on $14.40 per hour less tax, and super. which would end up bieng $11.50p/h (bugger that) if you do 10 hours work with 8 in actually print time. We work on 1 shirt $20 per print as they will not get a full colour screen print for under that on a single shirt including screens etc. and then it goes down form there. I think that anyone who is getting a single print done must be expecting to pay for it. It is like getting a custom job done. If you get more than one of the same you would expect it all to come down in price as there is only 1 set up and less head cleans etc. You are there to make money and do a good job. Cheap and nasty in my books can and will lead to poor quality jobs or garmets and then lead to a shut down business. There is alot that goes into printing a shirt and running a sucessfull DTG printing business, and all needs to be factored into your costs to ensure you are not working for less than a Burger chain pays per hour, and you would expect good money in return for the risk you have taken also the time and money you have spent for your total set up. Which is more than 15k if you have set up properly let me tell you. You have to factor into your set up costs not just a DTG printer but The computers we have 3 1 desing and 2 print, Heat presses 3, Pretreat room, Air con, Ventalation, Power upgrades, Work benches, Storage and packing areas, Software, Office supplies, Clothing racks, Hangers, Stationary, Phone, Web site, Advertising, Room, Shed or Shop area Good enough for printing. etc etc. To do it right and get a good consentnat result day in and day out you need a proper controlled setup run as a business with plains in place. I work on around $50 per hour. The average trade wage here is around $30-$35 per hour in an average trade job, This costs the employer $45 per hour after super and work cover.
Im glad to see someone break it down this way, it cost allot of money to run a legitimate business and to expect a DTG printer to charge under $15-25 a tee is preposterous. Were offering one of kind t shirts. If you want a $5-15 go to wall mart buy something mass produced cheaply. I thought we were offering a custom service and quality products. Not cut tagged tees or 2nd quality products.

· Registered
53 Posts
$1.27 per litre and x that by 4.5 to get a gallon so that is $5.70 per gallon. In NZ you can double that
Bit off topic, but 3.8 litres in a US gallon and price in NZ is NZ$1.66 which is about US$1.20 so Gallon is US$4.55

However we pay NZ$4.50 (US$3.24)for 'T's (Cheapest) up to NZ$10 (US$7.20) or NZ$18 (US$13) for Eco Tees (Bamboo).

Paul From NZ

· Registered
2 Posts
DTG printing inks also require curing (like screen printing inks) to permanently adhere. Most DTG printing shops use a curing dryer or heat press to cure their products.
DTG printers range from small desktop sized models to units that require large climate-controlled garages.
Many envision a future where customers order online and a DTG printer automatically prints the shirt. While many businesses have attempted this, the technical and labor challenges have proven tremendous. DTG printing is not as simple as pushing a button – there are many variables and factors to consider.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.