T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I have my first custom design inspired by a jpg that was so grainy it looked like crap when blown up to a size that would fit on the back of a shirt. :mad: Now that that is out of the way here we go.

We evaluated both Illustrator and Corel X3. X3 wins and we will have it in house in about a week. We do have Photoshop Elements 4 and it can really be a frustrating tool to use. The help section seems like it was written by a 4-year-old to explain nuclear physics to a 2-year-old. :confused: Sheesh! All I want to do is make a curved line! How hard can that be? 4 ellipses (is that a word?), one on top of the other, later I had the shape I wanted but I need to trim it and guess what? It changes my nice vector image to a raster image! AAAHHH! How hard is it to get a simple curved line as a vector so I can scale it later on?:mad:

So much for my rant. On to my next image. I only have about 4 or 5 left for this madness and I will have a good start at a collection of custom emblems. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
What do you mean by "IT changes my curve to raster." What do you refer to by "it?" If you mean the software, then you're doing something wrong. Vector programs don't just raster images. It sounds like you might be doing your work in Photoshop or Elements. If you want to work with curves, don't use those programs. Although in Photoshop you CAN save curves for later modification on their own layers.

CorelDraw is easier to use than Illustrator, but Illustrator has its own strengths. Both programs have curve-trimming features, so you just need to learn how to use them.

If you are not happy with the Help system, either google the problem you're having or, better yet, spend $20 on a good book that teaches the program you're using.

Software can be frustrating if you don't understand how it works. Do some basic tutorials and you'll be up to speed.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We evaluated both Illustrator and Corel X3 and liked Corel better. We should have it in the shop in a week.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use both Corel and Illustrator and you will be happy with Corel I have no doubt but there will be a learning curve so don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Why is it so hard to to get a simple curved line as a vector so I can scale it la

binki said:
All I want to do is make a curved line! How hard can that be?;)
lol... in X3 very hard... double click your object/line segment - Pointer should change into the Shape Tool (F10)

From there you edit your nodes and should be a happy camper with your results.

Also remember... VBA macros to automate certain tasks. It might be a little advanced but what the hey, jump in on it and learn them as you learn X3.

Anytime anyone wants, i'll do some screen shots if you need. But be warned
my workspace is customized and will not look like yours (default).

Like Fluid says... you will be pleased.

Good luck on your new adventure in X3

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Why is it so hard to to get a simple curved line as a vector so I can scale it la

Uglysign said:
... VBA macros to automate certain tasks.....
I am pretty handy with VBA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts