T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And, a better question, who do I contact about them?

I ask because apparently in my state there is no Resale Number or Resale Tax ID. We just use our Sales Tax. Which, I don't really care except I asked my Dept. Of Revenue what I was supposed to do when I came to putting a RN on shirts, and they have no clue.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
An RN number is not a resale number and has nothing to do with state or federal tax ID numbers. It is used by the FTC as consumer protection for garments and other textiles. The purpose is so that consumers can identify the source of the textile (or more importantly, identify who is responsible for the textile). The numbers are required to be on all labels. For anyone that re-labels garments, their RN number must be used, not the original manufacturers number.

You can apply for an RN number here:
RN Application

You can learn more about labeling requirements here:
Threading Your Way Through the Labeling Requirements Under the Textile and Wool Acts | BCP Business Center

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are awesome. So, just so my blonde self is 100% sure, am I reading it right that if you have your business name on the tag, the RN isn't necessary? (I did see the part where it says it's not required to do business, but want to make sure I cover everything since I'm relabeling)

· Registered
7,118 Posts
If you want, you can use your full corporate name instead of an RN number. And to clarify, you need to use the name as it appears on your tax records, not a shortened version you may use as the brand name or logo.

To be honest, RN numbers are free and easy to get. Just fill out the form and they email you the number in 48 hours. It's worth getting it to adhere to the labeling laws rather than using your corporate name (especially if your corporate name is different from your trademark name).

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh, I saw that it needs to be full name, good to know.
After seeing RNs on a lot of my shirts, I did a quick Google search and got the incorrect information that it was a Resale Number. I tried to do a search here, but I browse the forums on my phone, and can't always see all of the search results.

I appreciate all of the help I've received so far. Kimura, I just wanted you to know that I really do try to absorb all of the answers and advice you give, and not just on my own posts. Sometimes you get some people who like to ask for advice and seem to never "hear" you when you give it.. Just want you to know it doesn't fall on deaf ears here :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.