T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our designs include some metallic gold/silver/red colors, we are looking for a screen printer at the moment and it looks like many printers in Ireland don't do shinny metallic colors at all. I found one who alows me to buy metallic gold for price of 40EU per liter (metalic silver 30EU per liter) and then they print them for 1.4EU per color. Is this price reasonable?

I am just wandering, why is this problem with metallic colors, and could you probably recommend screen printer in Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland who would be printing these colors.

I am not willing to order form UK due to the higher posting costs involved, but if I can't find anyone locally I will have to.

Thanks for help

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Re: Why not all printers print metallic colors

Not sure why your local print shops aren't offering that ink, could be that they never had a need for it.

I've had some customers in the past that wanted a special ink that we didn't use and had no requests for. The client ended up paying for the cost of the ink because we had no need for the ink (we gave them what was left after the run, they brought it back for another design they did but never used that ink again after).

·
Registered
6,680 Posts

As Red mentioned, printers may not have a need for it. So it becomes expensive to stock something that's needed so rarely.

Also, I believe a low mesh count screen is needed to print metallic inks, allowing the flakes to pass through the screen and onto the shirt. So it's also possible that some printers don't carry a wide variety of mesh count screens to handle all specialty inks.

·
Registered
50 Posts

We can do it for you (based in Cork)
Send me a pm of the details

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't have uch idea about hoe printing job works, and thought that they maybe need totally different machine for that or something. Thanks for that info guys. Podge I will pm you

·
Registered
160 Posts

From our experience, there is very low demand for metallic inks. We've been screen printing for over 5 years and have had 2 customers request it. One needed it and we accommodated them by passing the ink cost along. They purchased a quart 3 years ago and have used less then 1/100th of it over all their repeat orders.

The other customer said ... mix the color, leave the flake out and they were happy with that.

The metal flake we use can be pushed through a 380 mesh so low mesh counts are not required in all cases.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
:: Service request post moved to the proper Service Referrals/Recommendations section of the forum. Read more here :) ::​
Quick note: hi guys, please try to take note what "section" of the forum a post is made in. If someone is looking to hire a designer or t-shirt printer outside of the Referrals and Recommendations area, please do not offer your services in the post. Instead, it's best to hit the "report bad post" button and ask for the thread to be moved to the proper section so you may respond to it without worrying about our no self promotion guidelines. Thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts